The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 66 of 355 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 7086

I was just wasting a little time on youtube looking at old jumping videos from the 70s--one of my favorite things to do. I came across an old video of the stadium jumping from Ledyard '75 and thought I recognized a clip of my high school pal who rode in the advanced division that year and finished maybe 13th...I got so excited, I watched it a couple of times and felt sure it was she, then I emailed her the link. Will let you know what she says. Maybe no one cares, but I thought it was cool. What a blast from the past.

Great pictures! You two look good together and you look happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Show pictures! Don't laugh at the little jumps....

Pre-class, nervous!

Over Fences 1

Over Fences 2

Flat Class -- you don't know how much work we put into her to get her to go like this!!!

Proud after the fact! And one more

Had a riding lesson today after another week off due to dog shows and rain. The asthma is gone but now I'm back to just being rusty and a bit weak from time off riding. I don't know if I will get to ride any more this week, dog show again this weekend and the forecast is for rain the next two days.

Way to go Pancakes! You look fantastic, and you can't beat the grin on your face! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Spacytracy how are you feeling? Is your pony still at your trainers? How is he doing?

Well I had another lesson with the jumper kids today. My regular trainer is back from Florida and we're jumping outside now so it's a whole new set of rules to remember. It was so windy I couldn't hear a thing she was saying while I was jumping, and hearing it after the fact just isn't as helpful. She said my flatwork looked good, now I had to remember how to jump. I don't know if I should be happy or depressed about that. On the up-side, both my kids rode really well tonight. My daughter was much steadier on her pony, and my son was jumping 2'6 and making it look like a piece of cake. He's going to do jumpers this year and I 'm so excited for him. He had a bad fall and a concussion last year and has really worked hard. He's also shot up about 6" in height and gained about 20 pounds which helps a lot too! I just have to keep buying him new jeans every 3 months . I'll be the mom hanging on the rail watching through my fingers and afraid tobreathe..

Aw, Pancakes, you guys look great!

Pancakes - awesome pictures! Don't worry about the fence height. I think that's what I'll be starting out at ... if I ever get back into a show ring!

Sounds like a bunch of people are getting back into lessons - that's great! I understand about shaking the rusty feeling, but it's still nice to be back in the saddle.

I have to take some more time off, but hopefully just a few days. I go back in for more surgery VERY early Friday morning (I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning!). They're removing some of the hardware they put in when they fixed my broken leg a couple of months ago. It's supposed to relieve some of the chronic pain so I guess it's a good thing!

Keep the pics and good stories coming!

Good luck with the surgery Dreamin. Let us know how it goes and that you're okay.

Hope all goes well, dreaminOTTB! We'll be thinking of you!

I just know you can keep up with those jumper kids, Hazel, including your own! Riding with your own kids is just the best, isn't it?

Thanks for the well wishes when angle girl passed over the bridge...

Jasslyn bummer about the stubben love those saddles. Have to admit though my old pancake saddle wins out every time...

Opus with that color scheme one would almost believe you are the fan of the ponious nut named Brutus... and has experiances at least one skull session... Of course if you have no idea what I am talking about....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutus_Buckeye
    http://tbdbitl.osu.edu/?action=a075

Pancakes. Sorry about the horse you were leasing. But wonderful pictures of you.

Jaslyn Dressage is really boring BUT yeah it does help a lot I never do any horse with out doing dressage with it. And I've been doing that even way back when dressage was a ''dirty'' word in hunter land... Yeah I think I'd rather watch my car rust or my grass grow than watch or ride lower level dressage yeah most definatly they are a lot more entertaining.. But the benefits for the horse and rider yeah that is why I still do it all these years ( sine 1979) later I still belong to the better of hte 2 or 3 dressage associations in my area even though they meet 75 miles from me the one that meets oh about 4 miles yeah the ''top trainer'' there ad I had an argument about the use of a kimberwick in dressage until I pulled out my usef rule book and showed her whee mmm no kimberwick not allowed.. And that was mmmm 4 or 5 yrs ago... yeah not the sharpest knife on the table...

Iechis your schedual sounds almost as busy as mine but mine isnt doing thing that I enjoy but things I have to do... wanna trade? have dr's 4x's this month and they are already scheduling for Dec...

Hazel Your lesson sounds wonderful. Isnt it amazing how we forget about the differance between inside and outside riding every year? It always seem to astound me how I would forget things like wind blowing the wayward leaf across the ring and horse stopping planting feet snorting at leaf trying to decide if it was horse eating leaf or not... I will never forget one year it had been bitter cold with snow on the ground and there was an annual show. It was a bennifit show for a local cant remember but it went through a local church. It was always held at the polo fields. Living up in the show belt it was always a possibility that we could wake up with some partly cloudly in the drive way until 40+degree weather was the norm. So we sent in our entries with the hope that snow wold be off the ground by the what ever weekend it was sometime beetwen 1st of april and mid may. This was the 2nd year after the blizzard of 78 soooo yeah. But anway we had snow on the ground and temps hovering around freezing so we rode inside until day of show the temps broke to 50.. we had lots of horse eating leafs, and the horse eating puddles OMGIH.. it was a very intresting show...

Dreaming good lluck with the surgery.
    Hope you're not laid up to long.

Can someone tell me what is up with BM's in general? What is it that makes many of them go batchit? I get a text yesterday afternoon asking if I want Toby's feet done next time Her farrier is there. I say no thanks. They are not in need of being done. (I did go to school for this so if they are needed to be done I can do them.. not that I enjoy doing it I can and have the equipment to do them)... I recieve the text. Well if you are unable to come out and ride him every day OR see to his basic needs maybe you should sell him. I text back I have a broken foot and am unable to ride him. I am able to trim and rasp if his feet were that bad IF I choose to do them. They are not in need of being done.
    She texts back Well I do not want to hear in a few weeks that you hav a bill and am not able to pay your board bill. Huh I am paid up through the end of May so I have no idea where the heck that came from...Obvousl I have the $$ to pay my board bill ahead of time so $$ is not the problem I just do not think toby's feet need to be done and Im not a fan of the way his feet were done His feet were more saddlebred than TB which is ok for saddlebreds which her horses are...
    Next thing I know she is threatening to take my butt to court... I am reading hte texts this moring and I still have not figured out why. But apparently I am not taking care of my horse. Duh that is why I am paying you for full board so you take care of my horse. And I asked her what brand of ''strongid'' past wormer she used to where it came to 25$ for her to worm toby... And that is when she popped off that I am not taking care of my horse... she calims that because I have not had the vet out ( or as she would have it HER vet that is not allowed near my horse) to do his teeth or his shots(which I do myself I can do teeth but would rather not). She seems to think it is aainst the law for owners to do shots, feet, etc... So now even if I loose every cent of board paid in advance I am trying to find a plce to move toby NOW.. course it would be helpful if I had $$ to move him with but tomorrow is payday which is helpful...
    What is it with BM's the funny things is IF she tried ot take me to court her boarding contrat is mostly not valid as it states clearly follwoing the laws of hte state of
    california and we are in Ohio... and nowhere in it does it state that all prepaid board is forefited if boarded leaves.
    But ya know what it would be worth it I think.
    And t top all that off last week my ''foot dr'' mentioned the word surgery on my foot .. I wonder how much wors this month can get and today is only the 5th... actually wait I know how much worse this month can get I have a dr apt about 20 miles from here n about 10days and it dawned on me I have no way of getting there. dh has to be 3 1/2 hrs away, my foot happens to be the one that we who drive on the right side of the road use to push the peddles of the vehicle so even if it were here....we really do need a banging head on desk or wall icon here.. Actually I really need the fubar fairy to please go and live somewhere else...
    Friend of bar .ka

My first horse show of the year was Sunday and went something like this....

Sat night we sleep over at my friends Lisa’s house so we can caravan the 2 hours to the show together. She’s hauling 3 in her stock, I’m hauling two in my slant. Kate (who is 4) and I are sharing a bed, so I spend most of the first part of the night being smacked in the face by her arm as she rolls over or being shoved out of bed by her head when she attempts to lay sideways across the bed. Eventually I give up and sleep on the floor for a few hours before returning to the bed, placing a few large pillows between us, and sleeping for maybe 30 minutes before the alarm goes off. *sigh* It’s now 5:15am.

I get dressed, make coffee, wake Kate and toss her into some comfy clothes then pack up our belongings and put them in the truck. My two horses load just fine (thank god for loading lights) and we’re ready (6:15am). Lisa has a bit more trouble (no load light) so I help get them loaded and we’re now ready (6:30). I pull out, taking the long way to the highway (I’m not skilled enough to turn around on her itty bitty road in the dark) and I feel a “tug” when I go around a bend but don’t think much of it. It’s dark, I’m tired, I probably didn’t swing wide and hit the grass. We merge onto the highway at about the same time, and I allow her to take the lead since she knows where she’s going. 15 minute into the drive I’m silently cursing because her speed is all over the place, 55, 75, 70, 75, 60, OH MY GOD…. Anyone who knows me, can tell you that I am many things…but a patient driver is not one of them. Serious road rage issues multiplied by lack of caffeine and sleep may have caused smoke to come out of my ears.

Lisa finally calls, and it turns out her speedometer in her Suburban just went out, it says she’s going 40. Not great, but I suggest she follows me, and we agree to stop for gas further up the road. At said gas station as I pull up to a pump I feel the “tug” again and know something’s not right. I get out and see tread on the cement. …oh and my pump doesn’t have diesel. Swell. So I ask Lisa to move my rig while I watch. Sure enough, when you turn the wheel to the right while breaking, the wheels on the left side of the trailer lock up. I now have chunks of tread missing from both the left rear wheels.
    We try to disengage the breaks, get gas ($130 later- gulp), herd the kids back into the car and navigate the construction detour to get back on the highway… however we do it wrong, which turn out to be a blessing in disguise because my tires are STILL locking up so we stop again decide to unplug the entire trailer from the truck (which means no lights, no breaks). Back onto the highway I’m leading since I have the speedometer and she’s following since she has breaks and turn signals. One of her daughters is riding we me dictating the directions her other daughter is texting from Lisa’s car. I freak out the remaining 45 minutes of the drive about blowing a tire and being on the side of the road with 2 kids and two horses but other than sliding through a red light and a few badly phrased directions, we manage to get to show exactly when it starts. My class is up first which I already knew meant I wasn’t showing. Green rider, horse that hasn’t been shown in years, and a rush job on getting him ready were just a bad, bad combination.

So we unload everyone, get the horses settled in and tied, I toss Kate into her show clothes since her class is 3rd on the list and go up to register. Oh goodie…she’s up in 2 minutes and my trailer is the furthest from the ring! Run back, toss her on the pony (who is thankfully tacked) and scoot up to the front and thank the steward for putting someone in front of her. I quickly explain the order of the poles, tell her to JUST WALK the poles and off she goes. She did fantastic. (a 4th and a 5th)

Lisa and I spend the afternoon shuffling horses, warming them up, tacking and untacking, watching the classes when we can, and basically enjoying ourselves. At some point I strip to a tank top because it’s 90+ (the second warmest April 1st on record) and realize that I never got sunscreen at the gas station. Eh…better burn than have a heat stroke, right? In the ring, most of the horses at the show seem to be spooking at one jump that has wagon wheels and in an impressive show of self preservation, tossing their unsuspecting riders head first into it, to insure that it’s not really going to eat them before calmly taking the jump the second time around.

Kate goes back into the ring around noon for leadline and looks a bit like a limp noodle but she wins first and then immediately goes back to the truck, eats a handful of goldfish and naps in the cool A/C of the dually for the rest of the day.

At this point I’m fairly sure I’m burned but figure there isn’t much I can do, so I push through, drinking lots of water and attempting to stand in the limited shade when possible up at the ring. Lexi rides Theo (my TB) in the 2-2’3” hunter division taking 2 seconds and 3 thirds which thrill me given that she’s only ridden him 3 times and he hasn’t been to a show in years.

Around 5 everyone is done riding and I’m hiding in the A/C of the dually as well because my hands and arms are now red and swollen from the sunburn. It physically hurts just to be outside, even in the shade. We hose the horses off with a quick shower, give them a final drink of water, load everyone up and start back. Lisa is leading since I’m not sure I remember where I’m going and am too tired to think. Traffic sucks (seriously, where the heck is everyone going at 6pm on Sunday?) but we make the first half of the trip without incident. Right as we merge onto I-40 a semi dives inbetween us (bastard) almost taking off the front of my truck and then 15 seconds later I see him break, swerve and a tire go rolling by. Lisa is now limping her trailer (who is missing a back left tire) from the far left, across 3 lanes of traffic to the exit ramp ¼ mile up the road. I attempt to follow suit, possibly swearing, gesturing and likely almost hitting people in the process (remember, I have no tail lights/signals or breaks at this point) but ultimately we both make it off and find ourselves in one of the only ghetto sections of OKC. We dig under the tack and find a socket wrench and the lift thingie, get the trailer raised up, only to discover the bolts won’t turn. Will…Not…Turn…. We start calling people, most of whom live an hour or so away and have helpful advice like “you need to go to Wal-mart” (thanks, there isn’t one in DOWNTOWN OKC!!) or “What do you want me to do?” (Come play the hero? Maybe come up with a way to get the damn bolts to turn?) before calling on my friend Gretchen and her hubby who always has fun tools and ask them if they can help. Sure enough, he has an impact socket wrench and is 20 minutes away. SWEET!

So 45 minutes later the spare that was on my trailer is now on her’s and we are back on the road…just in time for them to take I-40 from 3 lanes to 1 for “off peak construction”, which means we are now sitting stationary on the highway while people figure out how to merge. 30 minutes later, we are through the construction and going the speed limit (it is now dusk, so I’m creeping closer to speeding) and I hear from the back seat “mommy, I need to go potty….I need to go REALLY BAD!”

One more stop, and at this point I DON’T CARE if I don’t have lights, I do a terrible and illegal parking job and dare a police officer to ticket me. I just want to get home. Meanwhile, between my hubby and both of my brother in law’s checking on me, my phone is ringing non-stop. …however one of the calls from the hubby is to ask if Jordan (my older daughter) needs to take a shower and how to make her. I think I said something along the lines of “tell her, mommy is tired, crabby, and if she doesn’t get in the shower and wash her hair by the time I get there, she will be VERY VERY unhappy” …which must have worked because when I finally pulled in at 8:30 Jordan was washed, in her pj’s, the hubby had opened the paddock gate to our “holding pasture” and filled the water trough, then he sprinted out to collect Kate from me and usher her into the house so I could unload.

Moral of the story—do not travel far for a horse show April 1st unless you have AAA, Mace, and a really good sense of humor.
    Katherine
    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
    www.piattfarms.com

Piatt I'm sure you didn't mean this to be funny, but my sides are sore from laughing (WITH you, not AT you). I think we're related, this is exactly the sort of thing that happens to me! I'm glad your daughter had fun and did so well, and that your horse had a successful day too. I'm so sorry all of the other stuff happened to you. I can just imagine how you were feeling! How is the sunburn?

So the barn where I have my baby is run by a woman who does not want to run a boarding barn and she is a drama loving dressage princess. I can't believe I have to deal with another self absorbed horse person who has no clue about the real world of people and horses. She actually complained and finally agreed to look at the cut on my horse's leg because she thought my trainer should be responsible. My trainer who collects money to train my horse not care for him. She doesn't want to "run a boarding barn" but clearly has no issue with cashing my board checks-gotta love the insanity of weird horse people.She is one those horse "professionals" who think clients are "those that are taught by my every move".

I am anxious to have my baby back home with me, I am on my own no trainer, but really after a year with the baby trainer he should be fine. My over 50 body will have to be OK and I am looking forward to having the summer to get to know my little guy. I promise pictures when my guy comes home, I will learn how to post pictures-and that may be all that I learn. I hope that this is the path I am suppose to be on. I had a dream end of June 2010 and it was this:

I was riding my old guy in the upper arena and I noticed a cloud of what looked like smoke. My horse began to die and I died with him. The entire world was dieing around us....

He went lame two days later-I never knew why-and he has been lame since. He has ringbone in his LF so really it could be that.

I purchased my OTTB Feb. 2011, I needed a new beginning, my marriage is pretty much over, my career is very tough and riding/horses have been my joy. My poor horse has a lot to fix in my life. We shall see how well he does....

O fund aplace to put poby. TG. a place not as far from home but still far enough to where I wil need to drive. But that is ok lol there are not a lot of places in the middle of town. And as soon as I can drive I will be outthere with bells on.
    I tell ya I dont wantto relive the last 40ish hrs again for a while... mmm ever.
    But I've got to find a new rider for him as it is futher away from his rider. gggrrrrr isnt life wonderful.
    Maybe this time next yer I will be riding my horse...
    Friend of bar .ka

Stolen Virtue Believe in yourself. You are a smart strong capable woman. You can rely on yourself and you will be okay.

Same for you Bumknees.

We are here to listen and support. Have faith in yourselves.

Hi, SV! Sorry for your situaiton. Please hop on the New Beginnings train and take us along on your journey. Plenty of support here.

Best wishes to everyone else too as you fight your battles, celebrate your successes, and laugh when the world throws you some curve balls. Keep you fingers crossed, or jingle, for a good vet visit Wednesday. Maybe my TB can start back to a bit of tack walking. And maybe, if we're lucky, the Mods will give us an Off Topic weekend.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Sending all positive vibes for the vet visit Pony4me. Let us know how it goes

Just been lurking on this excellent thread, but thought I'd post a question for OLDER re-riders: I've tried to get back to riding after many years, and stumbled over a sticky problem. I had major abdominal (torsion/colic) surgery several years ago, and scar in a strange way. Every internal suture produced a nice little knot of scar tissue, so I have little bumps from the base of my sternum all the way to the top of my pubic bone. Worse, the closing staples were set too deep, so the skin is stuck to underlying tissue several places. And I have very little body fat, so no padding. Sitting a horse correctly is VERY painful, and slouching like a sack of potatoes so I don't put any pressure on the abdomen just isn't happening. I tried some refresher lessons and was reduced to tears both of frustration and pain. At 68, maybe I should just give up... but I hate facing never being on a horse again, especially since I have 9 of my own and they are NOT going anywhere.
    Has anyone else confronted a similar problem and if so, how did you resolve it. If you resolved it, that is...
    Thanks!
    Arendal Arabians and Sanctuary

Default Riding get away for timid re-rider, suggestions please?

Looking for a get away for a much needed riding refresher course. For 2 - 5 days. Anyone have any recommendations? Doesn't have to be fancy, just friendly and safe. Will travel most anywhere. Need an experienced instructor who has worked with adults getting back into riding again. Overcoming fear and minor medical issues. Are their clinics for this type of thing?

Welcome, Carol. I am so sorry you are having issues that keep you from riding comfortably. I don't know of anything that will help you, but I bet one of the others here will.

Piatt - congrats on surviving the show with your sanity and sense of humor intact!

Stolen - who runs a boarding barn that doesn't want to?????? Get the baby home asap! And I am still surprised at the number of things that Finn can fix, just by being.

Pancakes - great pics!!

Bumknees - glad you found a new barn. Good luck on the transport to the doctor!

Had a great ride this morning!! I learned something about riding my horse. He does this trot, his Mr. Pissy Pants trot, that is 900 mph going nowhere in particular. Today I discovered the cause and, as usual, it's me. For some reason, after doing lots of warp speed trot, I asked for the trot again (sucker for punishment?) and actually applied my leg. And we had a normal trot! Love the duh moments! We even jumped an x rail about 3 times - all good!
    And nothing bad happened!