The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default COTH George Morris article - Day 4 - can you clarify this for me please?

In this article: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...-gladstone-pro

Am I reading this article correctly that George Morrison is asking the riders to gallop up to a triple and stop?

I used to ride reiners and we would canter/gallop them into walls to practice getting them to stop on their haunches.

But for some reason I'm having a hard time grasping that asking a jumper to stop in front of a fence is a good idea?

That said, I will never be the rider that George Morrison is. So is my conclusion correct that since these are advanced riders, they are already smart enough to know when to stop in front of a jump (i.e. they are not balanced) and not to have a dirty stop as a bad habit?
    Last edited by ellebeaux; May. 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM.

Yes it sounds as if he asked them to stop between two fences ("inside the combination"). It says in the article he asked them to stop the horse toward the "barrier" (maybe arena rail/fence). I doubt he asked them to stop literally in front of a jump. I've done exercises to stop inside a line of two fences to work on control (especially with horses who are strong or rush). It sounds as if it wasn't a one or two stride line, but three or four stride line. The rider should have enough time to halt before getting two close to the following jump. And he asked them to point the horse away from the second jump.

ETA: A triple bar jump is different than a triple combination (three jumps in a row with related distance). Maybe that confused you?
    -Kendra
    *Every horse, at least once in their life, deserves to be loved by a little girl*

Ah, that helps a lot. Thanks!

Yes, the "triple" definitely confused me, and I wasn't picturing so many strides in between. I'm sure these guys have exquisite partnerships with their horses but I just couldn't figure out what he was asking of them!
    Last edited by ellebeaux; May. 24, 2015 at 11:44 PM. Reason: way too many typos today

George Morris, not Morrison.

9 members found this post helpful.

Are you referring to this?

After a few comical repetitions, the riders moved on to the outside triple, working on fitting four strides into a three-stride distance, and pulling up and facing the rail whenever Morris dictated. The horses and riders were learning not to rush, and that speed is never the answer to a sticky situation.

If so, I saw him do this excercise at a clinic a little less than a year ago. There were two jumps set as an outside line at 48' (normal 3 strides). He had them add a stride to put four strides between the two jumps the turn (left in this case) immediately after the second jump facing the outside rail of the ring. When the horse stopped, his body should have been parallel to the second jump. Excellent excercise to get the horses listening!

On a side note, I attended Day 3 of the clinic, but I was told (and George even admitted) that more than one horse jumped the (2'6"ish) arena rail the first few times through this exercise.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAway View Post
    George Morris, not Morrison.
    The God. Even with the typo, all I saw was George Morris.
    -Kendra
    *Every horse, at least once in their life, deserves to be loved by a little girl*

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equitational View Post
    The God. Even with the typo, all I saw was George Morris.
    Hahahaha, typed too fast.

Now I've got "Riders on the Storm" in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    Hahahaha, typed too fast.

Now I've got "Riders on the Storm" in my head.
    That was Jim Morrison...

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe726 View Post
    Are you referring to this?

After a few comical repetitions, the riders moved on to the outside triple, working on fitting four strides into a three-stride distance, and pulling up and facing the rail whenever Morris dictated. The horses and riders were learning not to rush, and that speed is never the answer to a sticky situation.

If so, I saw him do this excercise at a clinic a little less than a year ago. There were two jumps set as an outside line at 48' (normal 3 strides). He had them add a stride to put four strides between the two jumps the turn (left in this case) immediately after the second jump facing the outside rail of the ring. When the horse stopped, his body should have been parallel to the second jump. Excellent excercise to get the horses listening!
    If this is the section you are referring to, to me it does sound like he's having the riders go over the line and THEN stop in front of the rail, not in front of the jump.... my trainer does this with us a lot to keep us and our horses from rushing! It's a great exercise... really gets them to listen to you when you say stop
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"
    R.I.P Claire Davis: 12/21/13