The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on Florencio

I know he is EVA positive. I haven't heard much about him or his offspring lately. What are your thoughts on him, what he brings to the table and his offspring?
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Funny, I was just thinking about him the other day and wondering if his semen was still available in North America. I have really liked the offspring I have seen, but he can throw very small.

I have a super Florencio x Jazz mare. He can throw small. Mine is 16.2 but the Jazz adds legginess and a modern frame, and this filly's dam is very leggy.

Florencio passes on very expressive movement and, imo, a good temperament. My mare has the sweetest temperament and bonds strongly with her people. She was for sale but I decided to keep her to breed next spring instead.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Interesting about size. My mare Diva's (Donnerhall/ Gardeulan II) first foal was a Florencio that was imported in utero when I bought her. Diva is not tall - about 16.1 or a shade under. Flamboyant is now 5 years old and is a legitimate 17 hands (he was measured at Rood and Riddle). He is doing wonderfully under saddle with his AA owner.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    I have a super Florencio x Jazz mare. He can throw small. Mine is 16.2 but the Jazz adds legginess and a modern frame, and this filly's dam is very leggy.

Florencio passes on very expressive movement and, imo, a good temperament. My mare has the sweetest temperament and bonds strongly with her people. She was for sale but I decided to keep her to breed next spring instead.
    You might want to let Hilltop know as she is listed on their web site as still for sale.

Thanks for the info. I am not concerned about the size but would like to know more about the traits of his offspring and type of mare that is best suited for him. Florencio is a 1999 model so should have some offspring in sport also?
    ? Marilyn Monroe

bluemoonfarms- this may help you a bit:
    http://www.blup.se/en-US/horses/148060-florencio-i

Also, do a search here on COTH. There have been some good threads on this exact subject ;-)

Forte, yes he is still available here.

Here is the info I got from the vet clinic that imports his frozen:

Hello,
    Thank you for your interest in Florencio. Team Nijhof, who we distribute Florencio for, does a Life Foal Guarantee (LFG) contract. Florencio's LFG is 1250 euros. We do charge a $175 handling fee per frozen semen shipment to you, with overnight shipping charges on top of that.
    Martha Mellish, DVM

Thanks Trinity. Just the type of info I have been looking for. I did a COTH search and came up with mostly EVA posts. Is that the current pricing for Florencio? From Keswick? Thanks again
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    You might want to let Hilltop know as she is listed on their web site as still for sale.
    My mare is coming home this week, but thank you for your concern regarding the management of my horse's sales ads.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoonfarms View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am not concerned about the size but would like to know more about the traits of his offspring and type of mare that is best suited for him. Florencio is a 1999 model so should have some offspring in sport also?
    He needs a modern mare, in my opinion. He passes on a good temperament - I would say he will likely even improve on that front.

Re size... I should clarify that he is inconsistent in that regard, with extremes at both ends. I would take that into account though because when people are saying small, they mean *extremely* small -I have German breeder friends who have referred to him as a "pony maker." You might pm Alexandra and Kareen, both of whom have had Florencio offspring, as well as Crosiadore Farm, who has some lovely Florencios.

My mare has been in full training at Hilltop since January and is very nice under saddle. She was a bit of a late bloomer but is doing very well.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

We have a Florencio x Dormello mare that is very refined. I would say she has above average gaits but it is her temperment that truly sets her apart; she has a "kindness" to her that makes her very easy to be around. She was awarded Premium Status at her mare inspection this summer by GOV and produced a good 1st foal. I have known alot of kind Florestan's but she is the only Florencio I have handled in person. If she is a "typical" progeny, I am a big fan. Felice pic: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

Quote Originally Posted by Emy View Post
    We have a Florencio x Dormello mare that is very refined. I would say she has above average gaits but it is her temperment that truly sets her apart; she has a "kindness" to her that makes her very easy to be around. ]
    Yes, exactly - this is what I mean. My mare is the same way. It is an exceptional kindness and gentle way about her that is remarkable.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

One more site to see his linear scores, with much more detail:
    http://cms.kwpn.nl/mediafile/0002/9806/dres_eng.pdf
    You will need to scroll down to Florencio as they are in alphabetical order.

I have heard he needs a longer lined mare as he is rather square and short front legs run in the family, IIRC.

As for the pricing, I got that email a couple months ago. Don't know if it will stay the same for the 2012 breeding season.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    My mare is coming home this week, but thank you for your concern regarding the management of my horse's sales ads.
    You're welcome.

Thanks again Trinity! Great info. Sounds like he will suit the mare I have in mind. In the end this all ends up being a crap shoot with putting all of those genes together and seeing what happens! On another note I was very surprised to see how low the Reliability Scores were for Don Schufro?
    ? Marilyn Monroe

^ As for Don Schufro, I would imagine it has to do with the number of Dutch offspring he has. His reliability on the German FN and Swedish BLUP is high since he is much more widely used there.

Good luck with your Florencio breeding, let me know how it goes. I know someone who has used him twice and had pregnancies first try both times. I am a big fan of his and am considering him for my Bugatti filly if she turns out like I expect...but she's only 4 months old so I have a long wait-LOL!

Bumping this thread up to ask: Did they froze Florencio's semen before 2005? I mean, I know he is EVA positive, but do you think it's possible to find some frozen that is not EVA? Hence the question if his semen could have been frozen before 2005 and be EVA negative.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!