The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another reason I love Dover...NOT

Perusing their coupon sale, I came across this item:

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...vercoupon2.jpg

How dumb do they think we are? Gotta find me more of those coupons!

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

HAHAHA!! Or try this one: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...10001&TID=CHRS

"Free! Ariat Fleece Blanket." is the item description.
    "Coupon price: $29.95"

Further down, I also found their white fleece girths listed in one coupon for $24.90, and a few clicks down the page, also for $27.90! Hmm, which one will I choose?

As I keep going, I also see their fleece bridle/halter bag listed for $12.90 in the first coupon, then $14.90 further down. Wonder how many times they make the extra $2 because someone doesn't know it's advertised cheaper???

*fume*

I found the same darn thing with the blanket I wanted! It was listed on two different pages in their coupons pages, at two different prices! WTH!? I personally love the blankets and cant find them anywhere else, so I ordered the one on the cheaper coupon. I also requested a new catalog to get the $10 off code because i'm pissed about paying so much for shipping. Take that, Dover!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I don't understand why they insist on dicking around like this.

It is obvious everyone hates it.

It is obvious SmartPak gets away with charging more for a lot of things simply because they are easy to deal with and do free shipping.

And Dover is still sitting there playing games with "Tell me which page of the catalog are you looking at and then I'll tell you the price."

I mean, really?

Where's your sense of adventure? It's like a scavenger hunt! Who doesn't enjoy poring over multiple catalogs from the same retailer for hours trying to find the lowest price on an item? It's one of my favorite hobbies.

And people don't want to spend money on proper web design and development....

Perhaps if they were 'frivolous' and spent a couple thousand on a redesign of a new, efficient, and *working* site, more people would be apt to like them? Their inability to have a Right Click to open new tab to look at an item is extremely frustrating.

They can give me some tack and apparel in exchange for a proper working site... just give me a month and it'll be even better than SmartPak.

Dover coupons are fairly notorious for either being list price or whatever retail price is.

They really try my patience....
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;5812196]I don't understand why they insist on dicking around like this.

It is obvious everyone hates it.

It is obvious SmartPak gets away with charging more for a lot of things simply because they are easy to deal with and do free shipping.

[QUOTE]

Smartpak will price match!!!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    And people don't want to spend money on proper web design and development....

Perhaps if they were 'frivolous' and spent a couple thousand on a redesign of a new, efficient, and *working* site, more people would be apt to like them? Their inability to have a Right Click to open new tab to look at an item is extremely frustrating.

They can give me some tack and apparel in exchange for a proper working site... just give me a month and it'll be even better than SmartPak.
    I hate their website too.

Amen Amastrike. Love It!

Haha. You hate to think they're doing this on purpose, but its sad/funny if they are! Or they REALLY need a new copy editor....

I just gave Dover "one more chance" after breaking up with them and going steady with Smart Pak. Dover did a monogram in gold, when I wanted white and the ticket said white. I called to let them know. The lady was pleasant on the phone but NEVER APOLOGIZED for their error. They did send me a free shipping return label, and they were quick with the replacement item.

BUT this is the second personalized item in a row that they have messed up for me.

I won't cheat on Smart Pak again.

Cool HAVE MOVED ON TO SMARTPAK FOREVER ~~~

HAVE MOVED ON TO SMARTPAK FOREVER ``

THEY ARE PROFESSIONAL, KNOWLEDGEABLE AND MAKE SPENDING $$$ EASY PEASY ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I used to order a ton from Dover (much to my husband's chagrin)...but I'm not sure what happened. The last time I ordered something, I ordered a helmet that just didn't show up. I mean sure, I wasn't billed for it, but nothing appeared. I finally called and they said "ohhhhh, yea, that helmet has been discontinued". Really? Seriously? No communication? You just "discontinued" a helmet and didn't fulfill an order? And that's okay on what planet?

To boot, when I logged into the site prior to calling, my account was showing an order that was decidedly not mine. It was some guy named Kenneth (or Keith maybe, I don't remember) who ordered a lot of pony stuff.

Skeeved out, I was, because I could see ALL of his information, including his credit card info. Luckily, I'm an ethical person and all. I told the lady on the phone about it and she sounded tremendously confused. Hope they changed something.

Kenneth, if you're reading this, I hope nothing got charged to your account...like my nonexistant helmet.

Anyway, that was the final straw for me and I moved to Smartpak. Now, if Smartpak doesn't have it, I'm not ordering it. EOS.

ummm all that stuff has more than a 100% markup from wholesale to begin with...a 20% or even 50% off coupon still has you paying too much to being with...

just saying

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    I used to order a ton from Dover (much to my husband's chagrin)...but I'm not sure what happened. The last time I ordered something, I ordered a helmet that just didn't show up. I mean sure, I wasn't billed for it, but nothing appeared. I finally called and they said "ohhhhh, yea, that helmet has been discontinued". Really? Seriously? No communication? You just "discontinued" a helmet and didn't fulfill an order? And that's okay on what planet?

To boot, when I logged into the site prior to calling, my account was showing an order that was decidedly not mine. It was some guy named Kenneth (or Keith maybe, I don't remember) who ordered a lot of pony stuff.

Skeeved out, I was, because I could see ALL of his information, including his credit card info. Luckily, I'm an ethical person and all. I told the lady on the phone about it and she sounded tremendously confused. Hope they changed something.

Kenneth, if you're reading this, I hope nothing got charged to your account...like my nonexistant helmet.

Anyway, that was the final straw for me and I moved to Smartpak. Now, if Smartpak doesn't have it, I'm not ordering it. EOS.
    UGHHHH I currently going through a similar situation!! Don't buy the Dover scrim on sale- I "purchased" it in June...Didn't show up after a week so I emailed about the item. Told it was on backorder and will arrive in the warehouse next week. As I sit here today, 8 weeks later without a scrim, after 7 emails with the same response, it is official that I will NEVER buy from them again. Smartpak will pricematch, their website is a million times better and easy to navigate and free shipping on $75 orders. Their costumer service is fantastic as well.

I bought a saddle from them last August, paid for it then (of course)...the saddle arrived no problem. THREE MONTHS later I get a call from them asking me to pay for the saddle. I had to sort through my credit card receipts to PROVE I had paid.
    Do they really think they would send out a SADDLE without checking to see if I had paid?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by SUET1999 View Post
    UGHHHH I currently going through a similar situation!! Don't buy the Dover scrim on sale- I "purchased" it in June...Didn't show up after a week so I emailed about the item. Told it was on backorder and will arrive in the warehouse next week. As I sit here today, 8 weeks later without a scrim, after 7 emails with the same response, it is official that I will NEVER buy from them again. Smartpak will pricematch, their website is a million times better and easy to navigate and free shipping on $75 orders. Their costumer service is fantastic as well.
    I don't really buy much from anyone at this point, but I did buy the Dover scrim this summer. When I placed the order, it showed as a "backorder" item. I finally emailed them about 3-4 weeks after I originally placed the order asking when I could expect it to show up. I got a very pleasant email back telling me that the order had shipped out (which it had, from the looks of how the emails showed up, my email to them crossed paths with the shipment email). Scrim showed up about 5 days later.

My only issue was that there was never any communication as to when I could expect the scrim to be shipped out, not even a vague estimate. If it had been something I really needed and not a frivolous purchase, that would have driven me insane!

Every year Dover goes to the Roth Capital Conference, and every year I wonder what the people they pitch would think if they realized what all goes on. It could easily be fixed, and then we'd have them and SmartPak competing for our dollars.

Oh wait, we're talking about Dover. Fat chance it will ever happen.
    EDDIE WOULD GO