The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I like your quote of "gets it and knows where his feet are".

My favorite foxhunter is not the easiest but he will point the game out to you and is very quick on his feet. He even does flying changes as we gallop through a winding trail in the woods. He also has extremely comfortable gaits and is light in the mouth.

For that I will forgive him for jigging all the way home and a little silliness now and then.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Default PW

It looks like the weather will be cold, but should be nice enough to hunt this weekend. Fixture is a half hour from home, so we should be good.

Now all I have to do is get his "whites" white between now and Saturday.

Did I tell you my guy is a paint draft? Sorrel on top with a couple of white patches on his neck and white from the shoulders down.

He'll be getting Very Deep Shavings Friday and Saturday night.

I don't come to this fourm often but I just want to tell you goodluck on your foxhunt I live in FL and don't have a horse anymore. I soooooo miss foxhunting!

I sold my once in a lifetime horse a few years ago and hope I can fill that empty space again too
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. So many of us know exactly what you are talking about. I look forward to updates on the new horse and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the "big boy" finds a new owner soon.

Ah, yes, whites. I am truly hoping that my little pony mare will make the grade as a hunter for me because she's all chesnut, no chrome at all! For now I'm still within the safe confines of the made hunters at Hunter's Rest, but a trailer and hunting on our own is in the future.

Have a great day out with Trooper/Doobie!

And where are the pictures?

Let us know how it goes!!
    Have fun!!

Default He sold yesterday

To a large man who is a good rider, takes no crap and is going to hunt and do lower level eventing with him. My check is in the mail, I'll pick up my saddle and bridle this week sometime.

I had my little cry yesteday afternoon, my DH said he wondered when that was going to happen.

I bought him as an unstarted three year old standing in a muddy field with 15 other horses. He spent nine years with me. Lots of time, money and emotions invested. It was hard going out to the barn when I got home, no knowing that he'd never be there, looking over his stall front, making his little low whicker noise when he saw me.

So, I went out to the field to bring in my new hunt horse, Trooper. It was dark, but he's got so much white he's easy to see. He waited, then walked quietly down the hill and up to the barn with me, where he stood patiently while I took off his halter, got his head rub, and settled in with his dinner.

He'd had a good roll out in the field, he'd earned it after Sunday's hunt, and I laughed to myself to think what a pain he's going to be to keep clean during hunting season. But I think all that washing and white is going to be worth it, because out in the field, I had no doubt that he knows his job and I'll be a safe as I can be on him. And that feeling is everything.

Glad the other guy found a home.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    He spent nine years with me.;

(feeling safe)... And that feeling is everything.

When you look at everything you did for your guy, know that you probably got him the best start - kind of like a foster Mom I guess, as he will not be back, but you spent a good many years on him, and with him, and got him on his way.

You are very deserving of the second feeling now.

I'd say a "win, win", and a job well done. Understand your empty feeling, but so glad you have a new guy (besides your husband) to help ease the ache.