The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You want my horse...hehe.My TB mare although a little smaller(15.2&1/2h) is awesome at anything I want to try. Just did a Team Penning clinic this weekend and after studying the cows for a few minutes she plowed right into the herd of 24 to cut out the correct # cow. She self loads although occasionally we have to have a small discussion(stern voice and a smack on the butt). Seriously though, glad that you have made a decision that will allow you to find the "fun" again. Hope the new horse is "The One".

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    I think I would like to ride again; on a lop earred, big footed, stout draft cross, or Irish Sport Horse. One I wouldn't have to worry about "riding", one I wouldn't have to worry about "training" as we schooled. Just enjoying the scenery as we moved through the woods and over the fields. I don't think I want to see the inside of a ring again except to get my muscle tone back.
    Amen. The perfect mount (and cure for anything) on a fall or winter morning. My Pop died suddenly and unexpectedly in Jan '09 which put me out of town for one week. I returned home sad and searched high and low for normal, it had to be somewhere. I found it the following Wednesday on my little horse in the hunt field. The sounds in the kennel yard, being on horseback and seeing that familiar countryside gifted me 2 hours to forget about such sadness. And if it weren't for my horse (sorry Lewis Black) I would never had been gifted those two blessed hours.

Default And that last post says it all.

I was in tears last night, and my husband asked if I was missing Junior or if I just missed having a horse to nuzzle me and take care of. I answered him honestly.

The last two empty stalls in the barn happened when I lost my old showhorse and when I lost the beloved Haffie. So when I was faced with a completely empty, very big barn, no horse in the pasture, well, all the sadness just flooded back.

My husband has determined that me being horseless is not something he wants to deal with for very long.

New guy probably won't be here before the weekend, but... I can wait.
    It will be worth it to have that feeling again.

And you all know exactly what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    He is going into full eventer training and after a couple of months when she figures out what he is, he'll be sold.
    He's a horse.

We are not horses. We can never figure them out, we're just blessed to be able to associate with them.

They are not going to be 100% 100% of the time any more than we are. We can train and train and train, but the facts remain: 1. They're horses. 2. We aren't.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

My husband has determined that me being horseless is not something he wants to deal with for very long.
    He's a smart man - your husband! Mine would agree. I think that one of the reasons he let me have (free) Louie as he knew Knowzy wasn't going to make it (soundness issues) and he didn't want to deal with me without a horse in my life.

Horses are what we do when we are not working and since it comes at a heavy price it HAS to be fun! Best of luck with your new ride 2ndyrgal!
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

When he asked me what type of horse I wanted, I told him I wanted a horse I could ride into a pub, who'd make me leave before I got too drunk to ride home.

He laughed and said that while he'd never had it put that way, he knew exactly what type of horse I meant.
    And I had to laugh, I once told a gay hairdresser that I wanted a style that would look good BEFORE I got out of bed in the morning! He knew exactly what I meant and we became good friends over it too. He actually said that he could do me, you know hair do me.

Wonderful decision on your part, so easy to give advice to others and then not take our own 'we know better' thoughts and act on them. Wishing you big grins on hunt days to come.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

With time patience and trust any horse can do good!! If something matter give them the time and they will reward you 100 times~
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakend. ~Anatole France~
    www.EquineKneadsLLC.com

Default The shipper is confirming tomorrow for Sunday!!

Of course, it will likely be the middle of the night Sunday, but I don't care at all.

They're overnighting the vet reports, I'm wiring the $$$$$.

And good customer service?? Let's see, full vet report, no charge. Re set shoes with Borium, no charge. Pull new Coggins and health certificate, no charge. Arrange shipping, I pay. Sending his bridle and blanket (he wears an 84"), no charge. Oh, and he's sending some miracle kind of spray clean white stuff for his legs and tail that is supposed to be fabulous.

Somebody pinch me.

I feel a tiny bit guilty though. Sort of like I'm cheating on my other horse.

But I knew it was right when I told my husband I was looking forward to looking forward to going out to ride again.

I spoke to The Big Horse's trainer yesterday, she described him as "Bullish" and a bit stubborn. But friendly and quite athletic. Yep, that's Junior.

Glad she's riding him right now. It's worth every penny.

So happy and excited for you. What an awesome seller to work with!

As for the shampoo...Quick Silver (blueing shampoo) is your friend on days you can use water. Trust me, I once owned a white horse: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...52639572maPmok

Default So.... I went to see The Delinquent today..

Because they didn't really have a girth that fit and he's a bit big for her saddle so I took one of his down with one of his girths, sigh, it's a 58" on the last hole.

He is a bit more humble. Judging by the bite marks and hide missing several places, he is NOT the herd boss, perhaps not even in the top tier. Long way from his heart, hair will grow back, probably a Very Good Thing.

When I bought him as a 3 yr old, though he was the biggest of his group of about 14 or 15 horses, he was low man on the totem pole, clear at the bottom of the pecking order. That changed at 5 when after being a happy, obediant only horse, I introduced another horse and Junior figured out how big he was.

Maybe this will take him down a peg, so his next owner won't have so much to deal with.

He did give me the "mom, please take me home " face, so I rubbed his ears, and walked back to the car.

Didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

New horse will be here Monday, and I can't wait!

So did you get your new horse?!? How is he? I am glad you are able to start the emotional separation from your other horse, and I hope you are able to find him a great home.

Default The Other Horse is here!!

And he is wonderful. Everything promised and then some.

His name is Trooper, though he's so laid back and friendly I'm thinking of changing it to "Doobie".

This horse had me when I led him down the lane to the pasture and he just followed along like a big St. Bernard. Not shoving, pulling and being a jerk. Turned to me quietly through the gate so I could let him loose. Perfect. Came in the same way.

Stands quietly to be tacked up, and is wonderful to ride.

I'll hunt him sometime next week probably, but I don't expect any difference.

The Big Horse is at a fire sale price, so he should have a new home before the end of the month.

His name is Trooper, though he's so laid back and friendly I'm thinking of changing it to "Doobie".

Congrats, 2ndyrgal. I've enjoyed this thread and I am glad that it seems to have a happy ending.

Have fun with your new boy and please post some pics someday!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'm glad you're enjoying the new guy. Sometimes it's just nice to be around a horse who is just as much of a grown up as you are.

Congratulations and hoping for happy trails with your two!

Dear 2ndyrgal,

Well, you'd said the horse does that with jumps and other stuff too-I think you're lucky that he's never decided to hurt you. He sounds like one of those "too smart" horses that have figured out who is really the biggest and strongest-and Yay! it's him! I had a horse like that, except mine did try to hurt me and succeeded. Horses like that are, imho, not "fixable". The trainer can probably make him act right, for the trainer, but once he's back with you it'll be back to the old tricks. And eventually he'd start unleashing the repertoire on the trainer. It has nothing to do with your training or riding or management; it's just that horse.

And just let me say that men are the same and I really really *really* envy you your husband.

Sigh,
    Huntin' Fool

Default and the hits just keep coming

so, the Delinquent has been at the trainer's for almost a month. At what we consider a fire sale price. Potential buyers try him, like him, schedule a PPE. Sooooo the horse that has only taken one bad step in his life gets a stone bruise the day before the PPE. Figures.

I know he'll pass a PPE just fine, but he's turnng into the most expensive cheap horse I've ever sold.

And truly, he's not dangerous, he's not mean. He's just big, strong and opinionated. He's at the trainer's because she has clients and I don't, and I'm not in the mood any longer to deal with the attitude. His ability would absolutely make it worth it to someone that had the time and energy.

Been enjoying this entire thread - especially the determination of what it is exactly that you need, and getting there.

Recently returned to the fold, working with my retired OTTB, at a dressage barn because they do rehab, & it's convenient (am in the boonies), but I've been wondering, once he is at his max, what next? Very doubtful he'll be able to do much, but now that I'm back to riding, think they'll have to put me away before I give it up again.

When I see how showing has changed, it's not that appealing. Love doing the trail rides, but no one around really.

Best friend in another town has raved about what you all do. I've always kicked myself that I never had the chance to hunt.

Love how you all think, and does it ever sound like you all have a good time. Going to "change the posters" on my wall.

CVPeg,

Jump in the waters perfect.

You'll get lots of encouragement here!!

At most hunts there's a place for you to enjoy getting out (1st,2nd and hilltopping flights). I hope you'll try it sometime and OF COURSE post here with all the details!!

Red face Oh come on over, it's more than fun

It's much more like a passion. When I first met the huntsman's wife at a barn I boarded at, I had done just about everything you can possibly do with a horse. Truly, TB, STB, reiners, h/j, in hand, polo ponies, you name it, I've ridden, driven, or shown in hand just about everything.

I had a OTTB show hunter that was fairly successful, and was invited to hunt. Knowing there was no way that my horse was going to get me out safely, I leased one from the hunt.

It was a cold, gray day during the week, the entire field was maybe 12 people. We hit right away and had a screaming run, during which I was nearly certain I was not coming back in one piece. I was on The World's Best Hunt Horse, and let her do her job.

I was hooked, and since I grew up around hunting hounds and bird dogs, it's a good fit.

I finally own the right horse, and it is money well spent.

The right horse for me and where I hunt, might not be the right horse for anybody, and it wouldn't have been the right horse for me 10 years ago.

I like watching hounds work, and there's nothing better than being on a horse that "gets it" and knows where his feet are.