The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default world sheepdog champion 2011

Of all the working dogs, sheepdog take my breath away.

wow! what a beautiful run! lovely team, thanks for sharing that!!

Fantastic ! Thanks for sharing !

We owned BCs for years-the first two came to us trained. Peg would see some sheep, turn around and look at us with that look--- "WELL-are you going to give me a command or not???"

I love love love border collies. If we weren't surrounded by other people's livestock where we live, I'd get one or two or three in a heartbeat.

They really are totally amazing dogs. Ours were NOT hyper, either.

Showed this to a family member who has a BC. He was impressed, but said, "I don't think that's a pure Border Collie, or if it is it's a badly bred one." There's that AKC mentality at work.

I explained that REAL WORKING BC's aren't bred for looks, but that doesn't make them "poorly bred." The farmers who use them and the people who compete them don't care about the beauty contests - all that matters is can the dog do the job.

AKC type breeders are responsible for ruining working dogs.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I had a "poorly breed" BC and he was simply the best. dog. ever. smart, not hyper, quick as a whip and eager to please. and he had a short coat. so easy to manage and maintain.

I have a BC/Sheltie mix - he's so darn smart it's scary. Yes, he's high-energy, but I keep him busy so it's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Showed this to a family member who has a BC. He was impressed, but said, "I don't think that's a pure Border Collie, or if it is it's a badly bred one."
    I hope you didn't crush his tipped-eared big-boned fluffball when you fell to the ground laughing at that display of ignorance!

BTW, have you ever read The Dog Wars by Donald McCaig? I think the cover art is a fine illustration of the difference in the appearance of working sheepdogs and the AKC-type "border."

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    AKC type breeders are responsible for ruining working dogs.
    Well, they're trying, I'll grant you. That's why I'd encourage anyone interested in a border collie to find a working breeder. Do NOT be fooled by the AKC "herding" competitions, which are nothing at all like the ISDS trial in the video clip. Find a breeder whose dogs compete in USBCHA or ISDS sanctioned trials.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

I'd never purchase a BC from an AKC breeder. Border Collies are working dogs !!!!!!! and pretty is as pretty does. I'm trying to stay away from the bc mix at the local shelter. And the sortof bc mix hanging around down the road from us...well SOMEONE has to feed him....

Great clip. Lovely watching that dog work. Although I agree having a working BC is the best, I feel really sorry for working BC's that aren't in a home where they can work sheep. It is so sad when you see the rescue BC's which are there because the stupid puppy buyer didn't realize that the dogs love to work.
    Last edited by Hannahsmom; Sep. 28, 2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    Great clip. Lovely watching that dog work. Although I agree having a working BC is the best, I feel really sorry for working BC's that aren't in a home where they can work sheep. It is so sad when you see the rescue BC's which are there because the stupid puppy buyer didn't realize that the dogs love to work.
    I disagree. What makes a working-bred BC a good working dog are the same characteristics that make it a good agility dog; companion dog, etc.

They were bred to work closely with a shepherd - so what matters most to a BC is quality time spent with its person, doing something. But that "something" doesn't have to be sheep.

I find most BC in rescue were produced either for the pet market or the sport dog market. Sometimes those dogs don't come wired with the same "off switch" as a working-bred dog.
    Or sometimes the person would have dumped whatever dog s/he got, no matter its breed, just because the person is unwilling or unable to give a dog what it needs to be a good companion. Anyway, during the years I was in rescue, I can only remember one or two working-bred dogs coming through.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

friggen AWESOME!

Fabulous!

I wish my BC had even a tenth of this kind of drive. He's lazy, lazy, lazy (but given the rough life he had before he came to me, I'd say he's earned the right to be lazy). I had high hopes that he might take an interest in agility, but resigned myself to a couch potato dog instead.

Showed this to a family member who has a BC. He was impressed, but said, "I don't think that's a pure Border Collie, or if it is it's a badly bred one." There's that AKC mentality at work.

I explained that REAL WORKING BC's aren't bred for looks, but that doesn't make them "poorly bred." The farmers who use them and the people who compete them don't care about the beauty contests - all that matters is can the dog do the job.
    The old sayin', let the hills prove the dog.

my two BC's are very different looking BTW..one is very classic..black and white. the other is more "Rangey" looking..

looks like a pretty classic short coat BC to me...and given that this is dog is from Ireland - I'd bet money that dog is a pure BC.

I have one classic rough coated b/w bitch, and one smooth coated tri-color with a tail set like the one in the video. Her name is Faith. DH adores her. So he has Faith's picture as his desktop background at work.

Most people look at his computer and say, "Wow, what an unusual looking dog. What is she?"

But the engineer from Ireland took one look and said "Oh, a sheepdog!"
    Denny Emerson

Baaa Ram Ewe!

What an amazing dog.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry