The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New USEF helmet rule?

I was in a tack shop today and the manager told me that a new rule had been passed (effective in the new year) that would not allow riders to put their hair under their helmets. She said they had proved that it was a safety issue since the extra hair keeps your helmet from doing its job. I looked through the USEF site but didn't find anything. Anyone happen to know if there's any truth to this?

If that's true, I'm going to sue or something. I HATE riding with my hair out of my helmet. Absolutely cannot stand it, plus I think it looks really tacky FTMP (I'm sure I just offended people... I'm sorry! But I honestly do think it looks tacky most of the time!). I'd be interested to hear where she heard this.

ETA: A quick search of USEF's news releases yielded nothing that I saw. http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/tabs/news/Default.aspx

Edit #2: Also scanned the latest rule update thing, and it doesn't look like anything about helmets changed (I only scanned though, maybe I missed something). http://www.usef.org/documents/rules/...ExComm2011.pdf
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I don't believe that...And IMO, your helmet is going to protect your head, regardless of whether some extra hair is tucked in.

I find it really hard to believe that...

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Toolittletime25 View Post
    I was in a tack shop today and the manager told me that a new rule had been passed (effective in the new year) that would not allow riders to put their hair under their helmets. She said they had proved that it was a safety issue since the extra hair keeps your helmet from doing its job. I looked through the USEF site but didn't find anything. Anyone happen to know if there's any truth to this?
    Is your hair of long enough length that the manager could reasonably suggest that you'd need to buy a different size helmet to accommodate?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I've seen a few canadian studies on this and I will only put my hair up at shows. It definitely doesn't cancel out the helmet, but it does make the helmet less effective.

That said I don't think the studies are conclusive enough to make a rule out of it and doubt they'd print up a rule yet. They should probably throw out an article or 2 to get people aware before randomly throwing that out there.

Ha ha, that is funny! I mean what would all the hunter princesses do? Can you imagine them going around the hunter ring with long ponytails flapping in wind??

As long as you don't have hair down to your butt and you don't stuff it all up smack on the top of your head, I don't think it effects the fit of your helmet that much. It actually makes my helmet fit a little tighter, so that is probably better anyway.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Glad to hear this is only a rumor. I have really thick hair so only wear my helmet with my hair up - I'd have to get a size down to wear it with my hair down!

The idea that a helmet is less effective with your hair up is silly, unless you have your hair twisted into a thick rope that might effect the fit of the helmet... does that also mean that a helmet is more effective on people with thin hair than it is on people with thick hair? Does curly hair make it less effective? What about an afro? Maybe we should all shave our heads?

There's no way in hell that USEF would pass such a rule... can you imagine the uproar?

Ew imagine how gaudy that will look at horse shows. Like, how messy! I can't ride without a hairnet or not have my hair tucked in my helmet. I've fallen off and I'm still alive, obviously my helmet did it's job even though I had my hair tucked in my helmet.

I find it hard to believe that USEF would pass such a 'noticeable' rule.

I don't know how they could enforce a rule like that - too many hairstyles and too many types of hair. What would they do a hair/helmet check if a woman goes in the ring sans ponytail?

If one has long hair and always puts it up, then one should buy a helmet that fits over that! Fit is fit and hair has nothing to do with it, which I would also think may add a slight extra bit of protection!

There is a proposed change, but its not about hair. USHJA wants all riders to now be required to wear helmets when mounted. Adults can currently go without one unless jumping.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/214-11.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    There is a proposed change, but its not about hair. USHJA wants all riders to now be required to wear helmets when mounted. Adults can currently go without one unless jumping.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/214-11.pdf

Now that sounds like a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by dp1092 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that USEF would pass such a 'noticeable' rule.

They did not pass any such rule. The new helmet rule is as stated above...EVERYBODY wears one at the show when mounted. Period.

That touches one of my pet peeves...tack shop people who share all sorts of misinformation under the guise of "expert advice". Wonder if this one was even a member of USEF let alone had reviewed the new rules and proposals.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I just was in a tack store and the employee told a mother (who rides western) that her daughter would be safe and protected in a velvet hunt cap. For lessons even.

Another was telling someone that she couldn't use an eggbutt in dressage.

Just a note: If you wear your hair out of your helmet you can wear your hair in a bun and not a ponytail... let messy and less tacky... Or we could all go in pig tails with giant bows! OMG gag!

It's a conspiracy by the makers of showbows! Acckkk! Run for your liiiivvvvveeeesss!
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

It's actually more dangerous to have it out if you ask me. If you get thrown and you have really long hair and your horse takes an unfortunate step, well..you can figure that one out yourself. My trainer knows of someone who saw this happen to, so he never lets us ride with it out of our helmet, which I don't mind at all.

Here is the wording of the proposed rule change to GR801.2
    2. It is compulsory for all persons at Federation licensed hunter, jumper or hunter/jumper competitions,
    when mounted anywhere on the competition grounds, to wear properly fastened
    protective headgear which meets or exceeds ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)/SEI (Safety Equipment
    Institute) standards for equestrian use and carries the SEI tag. It must be properly fitted with harness secured.
    It is a rule change proposal. Even if it passes, the proposed rule change would not go into effect until April 2012.

"Properly fitted" is not defined.

I suppose the person in the tack shop decided that, since the helmet manufacturers do not consider "hair folded into helmet" to be "properly fitted", that was the definition.

But I highly doubt THAT is what USHJA intended.

If you are concerned, send in a comment on the proposed rule change, asking that "properly fitted" be defined so that it is clear whether or not it addresses hair.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).