The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here's where you look:
    Verticle: Top rail
    Ramped oxer: Top rail which incidentally is the back rail unless you're insane
    Square oxer: Front rail, treat it like a verticle
    Triple bar: Top rail which is the back rail again. This gets you to the base of the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    Here's where you look:
    Vertical: Top rail
    Ramped oxer: Top rail which incidentally is the back rail unless you're insane
    Square oxer: Front rail, treat it like a vertical
    Triple bar: Top rail which is the back rail again. This gets you to the base of the jump.
    Interesting, I was always taught to look at the middle rail of a triple bar...

Well, I think this thread proves that everyone has been taught a different way, which may or may not work well, and that there are no "hard n' fast" rules about it.

OP: find what works for you by jumping, jumping and more jumping of oxers.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

What I have been taught and what works for me is to look at the front rail because you have to ride to the front rail. After that you let your body follow the horse and if they happen to stay up longer because it is a wider jump, that is fine because your body is following them.

Anyway, I'll listen to PNW because I want to be her when I "grow up!"
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

We worked on oxers in my lesson last night.
    Did a 5 stride (vertical to oxer). We started low at 3ft, and finished off at 3'9 with 3'6 spread.

I don't know if I have depth perception issues or what, but when I changed my focus to the front rail about three strides out, my spots begin to magically appear.

Fascinating how everyone works and thinks so differently!
    Last edited by Burgie; Oct. 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM.

I too was taught three different ways to look at the fence based on what type of oxer.

Though, IMO, bottom line is I would try messing around with where you look (top, front, over etc.) to see if it helps you overcome what you're dealing with...barring it being physically dangerous what's right is what works best for you and your horse most consistently!

I will also say that sometimes the best way to overcome something is rote repetition. Perhaps have your trainer set up big oxers all over the ring and you just jump em until it's less of a thing - note - you have to keep moving them for each lesson - a couple of days of this with an occasional repeat did the trick of my fear of skinnies (up to 4' was ok - above 4' and I would get a bit nervous). After my "intensive" I was much more comfortable and before a big show we would always do a little refresh, which seemed to help.

I'll also say that while I genuinely had a fear of skinny fences the above experience also taught me that it was a bit of how my horse went that only heightened my fear - When the jumps got bigger he had a tendency to grab the bit and root downward a bit post fence. While that was a problem in general it only really seemed to bother me on the way to skinny jumps - in tandem to me working on me, we did a lot of working on him - somewhere between the work on the two of us my aversion to skinny fences disappeared.

That's a long winded way of saying be sure that it isn't also something in the way your horse is going that's creating some of the problem.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    I love oxers. I rather jump oxers than a tall vertical any day. Just feels more natural to me. Not sure why. I am more apt to second guess at a vertical.

I always look at the back rail and will count my strides up to them in a 1,2,1,2 or a 3,2,1 jump. It's hard for me to explain since I can feel it better than explain it.
    Oxers can be more comfortable depending on the horse, more hang time in the air.

Trainer had me canter down the center line yesterday. She would call out which oxer to go to and I had about two strides in which to make an adjustment and go.

Worked really well.

Just ride to the front rail, the back one is an accessory and the only change would be to stay out of the saddle a bit longer. Your distances between fences is based on the back rail to the previous fence measured to the front of the next one (in combinations) so riding to the rear rail would put you in the wrong place.. just use the front rail. Same thing on a stand alone oxer.. ride to the base..the back part is handled by the arc of jumping, no need to look at it at all,imo (and I have jumped som freaking wide oxers) Same thing for a water jump, you would never use the back of a stand alone water element as your "spot", you ride to the base line in the front.

and riding to the base doesnt mean actually looking at the ground

1 members found this post helpful.