The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I was not calling it a name. I was giving it an accurate description. It is a bat, it is ugly ass, and there was only one bat in the photo. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif Either it is ugly ass or very constipated.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jester1113:
    I posted the origins of revoled and aardvarkcaca a few pages ago I think. WIll try and find the original WTF thread... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>i didn't add the link to their original thread because of the thread's content, was hoping to put it in the trainwreck definition though... what'd ya think?

and if you're gonna add a word, give the definition and use it in a sentence please!!

"snark" is a Real Word!

Savaged by the snark

Clive James
    Tuesday September 9, 2003
    The Guardian

The recently published ninth edition of the excellent Chambers Dictionary, which has always prided itself on keeping up with new words, gives only one meaning for the noun "snark". It's "an imaginary animal created by Lewis Carroll". The 10th edition might well carry a second meaning: "an adverse book review written with malice aforethought." If the dictionary were compiled on historical principles, like the Oxford English Dictionary, it might mention that the word "snark" was first used in this sense by Heidi Julavits in a long and fascinating article about book-reviewing which she published in the US magazine the Believer. Elsewhere in the literary forest, Tibor Fischer recently launched a savage attack on Martin Amis's Yellow Dog, describing it as "not-knowing-where-to-look bad"; Jonathan Myerson has written a scalding review of Douglas Kennedy's new novel A Special Relationship, while Dale Peck, writing in the New Republic, attempted to bury Rick Moody's novel The Black Veil under an avalanche of abuse. Generating a small but widely reported kerfuffle, this last event was one of the stimuli for Julavits's contention that the killingly personal review might be reaching such epidemic proportions that it needed its own monosyllabic name, like plague.
    Plausibly claiming to have identified an industry-wide rise in the prevalence of a snide tone, she called such a review a "snark". Since the noun derives from the accepted slang adjective "snarky", one would have thought it a rather understated label for an attack whose intent is often not merely snide but outright murderous. Better acquainted with the concept of gangsterism in public life, the Germans call a killer review a rip-up and the Italians a tear-to-pieces. But this new, English word is probably violent enough, and it certainly captures the essential element of personally cherished malice.

The desire to do someone down, or indeed in, is the defining feature. Adverse book reviews there have always been, and probably always should be. At their best, they are written in defence of a value, and in the tacit hope that the author, having had his transgressions pointed out, might secretly agree that his book is indeed lousy. All they attack, or seem to attack, is the book. But a snark blatantly attacks the author. It isn't just meant to retard the author's career, it is meant to advance the reviewer's, either by proving how clever he is or simply by injuring a competitor.

Back in the early 19th-century, the dim but industrious poet Robert Montgomery had grown dangerously used to extravagant praise, until a new book of his poems was given for review to the great historian and reviewer Lord Macaulay. The results set all England laughing and Montgomery on the road to oblivion, where he still is, his fate at Macaulay's hands being his only remaining claim to fame.

Across the pond, Mark Twain later did the same to James Fenimore Cooper. Making hilarious game of the improbabilities in Cooper's tales of arcane woodcraft, Twain's essays about Cooper have been American classics ever since. So have Cooper's novels, but only in the category of enjoyable hokum. After Twain got through with him, Cooper's prestige was gone.

When you say a man writes badly, you are trying to hurt him. When you say it in words better than his, you have hurt him. It would be better to admit this fact, and admit that all adverse reviews are snarks to some degree, than to indulge the sentimental wish that malice might be debarred from the literary world. The literary world is where it belongs. When Dr Johnson longed for his enemy to publish a book, it was because he wasn't allowed to hit him with an axe. Civilisation tames human passions, but it can't eliminate them. Hunt the snark and you will find it everywhere.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
    I was not calling it a name. I was giving it an accurate description. It is a bat, it is ugly ass, and there was only one bat in the photo. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif Either it is ugly ass or very constipated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that bad was a CHILD bat. You really have no shame!
    model citizen, zero discipline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J4J:
    and if you're gonna add a word, give the definition and use it in a sentence please!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooooh SURE. Leave it to me to come up with some fresh take on all this. Pfffft!

Um.

Er.

I got nada. I have a belly full of cheese.

OOOH WAIT!

I'm too aghasted by Coreene's total lack of sensitivity towards Helga and Inga's adopted love child, that I can no longer continue to post.

OK, ok. Really, I'm just going to bed. Belly full of cheese, 'member?
    model citizen, zero discipline

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

HYN, I do believe it was hobson who first numped up and down for joy. After that, I do believe it was rockstarr and myself who made quite a bit of hay with it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

As for beaver drilling, it was a red light (district) moment for the BB. Read on...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AllWeatherGal:
    The desire to do someone down, or indeed in, is the defining feature. Adverse book reviews there have always been, and probably always should be. At their best, they are written in defence of a value, and in the tacit hope that the author, having had his transgressions pointed out, might secretly agree that his book is indeed lousy. All they attack, or seem to attack, is the book. But a snark blatantly attacks the author. It isn't just meant to retard the author's career, it is meant to advance the reviewer's, either by proving how clever he is or simply by injuring a competitor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> i had no idea it was a real word! so how about:

snarky: a blatant attack on an author, often with a clever remark, to retard the author's knowledge and promote their own

or make it shorter?

and DMK- wanna help me out on the beaver drilling definition and sentence http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif? don't know if i have the energy to read the whole entire thread...

Coreene- is it okay what i put in about willem?? any additions/changes you'd like me to make?

J4J, I could not possibly do it justice if I tried. You have to read it.

You know how there are words in another language that cannot easily be translated to english? Like L'esprit de l'escalier. Telling you it means the "spirit of the staircase" just doesn't cut it.

And so, I could not possibly sink to the depths required to explain the pounding that beaver drilling took on that thread... (But if this doesn't clue you in, I'm not sure what will help! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif )
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Beaver Drilling: oil-related company in Canada who sponsors many Spruce Meadows classes

"Mr. Bean LOVES that Beaver Drilling class!"

so... how about the actual definition in dictionary, and the link provides the Xrated COTH application?

PLEASE, we are totally forgetting about HORSE FLIPPING! The definition: When a crazy person aka an a Three day eventer, gallops across rough terrain and scarey jumps, with the reins in one hand (sometimes), and a beer in the other, while trying to flip their horses over the jumps. Here is the thread: Cruel Eventers. Read it if you have not already, it was hilarious and the Eventers earned a great deal of respect from me on that thread.

Plunger: A device used to threaten a mare, who happens to be VERY LATE FOALING, but has been showing signs of impending birth for weeks on end, that she absolutely must foal. Here is the thread: The LONGEST thread in SHB history, I believe. This is also the thread that Hoohoo was introduced. It will take you DAYS to get through the Frosty thread, but it was fun to be involved in.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

J4J, really... I think you're missing it totally. Think about it. There is a class called "Beaver Drilling"... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Perhaps it might have evolved into something like this:
    Beavis and Butthead moment ... huh-huh ... you said BEAVER ... huh-huh-huh.
    Every time I see a new reply on the total count of this thread, I rush to it, practically giggling, thinking someone's gonna take the Beaver Drilling bait. Sigh. I am telling you, and seemingly only you, when Kachoo gets back she will clear up this Beaver Drilling fiasco and mark my words, numping will be behind it.
    I see there is a need for my sophomoric humor and filthy mind...

All i know is I'm not going to take part in any beaver drilling unless there's some serious liquor involved...

liquor? You brought her here, you liquor...

thankyou thankyouverymuch
    I am SURE that there is a simple and clean explanation for "Beaver Drilling."

Although since beavers don't generally drill so much as gnaw, drag and stack, it's certainly difficult to imagine what the family-friendly explanation might be.
    Don't forget that they like to work with wood(y)s! (regular arts and craft types, those friendly little woodland creatures, yes-siree)
    Now listen here! I'm fine with the Dragging and Stacking, those, like all things, have their place. But that gnawing? I'm sorry, my mother brought me up better than that.
    As to the (in)famous Beaver Drilling.....

They are an oil related company in Alberta that sponsors a tonne of classes at Spruce Meadows. We, as riders, are very thankful for their continuing support to our sport.

hehehe ***snort*** Beaver drilling **snicker**
    Basically, Bentley, they're in the business of lubricant? I see.
    OK Bentley, what you are telling us is that there is (apparently) someone in Canada who named a company "Beaver Drilling. So how do those commercials go over on TV? Because what I am envisioning is quite over the top. Or should I say "under"?

I have to say that Corporate Culture has reached a new, ummm, depth for me.
    and dmk, yes we have 'sunk to a new depth' with this thread!!!
    sunk... yes, Bentley, "sunk" does describe the matter at hand. What with drilling companies and what not being discussed...
    This thread is so great for two reasons:

1. It's like the red-light district of the BB. And that makes me so proud.

2. We really are eager to hear how Susie did. I hope that shines through. And why wouldn't it? Lubricated by Beaver Drilling!

(ba-dump-bump)
    Not exactly the Marines, but...

We are the few, the proud... the indescribably gutter minded...

Thank heavens it is the red light district. I mean for a while I was really worried that the Canadians must have thought the beaver was something furry you wore on your head. Oh wait... I guess it can be...
    You guys . . .

You have put me into a quandary - I would say that you're all the sweetest things ever (I was so excited to see this thread !), except that you are also the filthiest-minded little devils I have ever seen! I know, I know, Beaver Drilling . . . it was handed to you on a silver platter, how could you resist? Interestingly enough, this is the oil company who sponsored last year's "Strip Puissance,"
    Kachoo...

Clearly we were diverted with the idea of nekkid jumpers when you last reported on this issue, but no such luck this time! (This does rather reaffirm exactly where are interests lie, though).

But I know you would have thought we were slipping from our high standards if we just let a hard nosed topic like Beaver Drilling just sink into the depths of obscurity, so to speak.
    My god, can you imagine the havoc that would ensue if Beaver Drilling sponsored dressage classes? With terminology like "deep" and "through" being bandied about?
    Thanks for the update thread, Kachoo... As rockstarr pointed out, we were quite eager to hear about it. Eager Beavers, as it were...

(ba-dump-bump back atcha! )
    Aaaaaaagghhhhh!!!

I love it, I love it . . . oh god, eager beavers.
    Originally posted by hobson:
    My god, can you imagine the havoc that would ensue if Beaver Drilling sponsored dressage classes? With terminology like "deep" and "through" being bandied about?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention the hole submissive thing...
    just when I thought the jokes were over, Beaver Drilling once again takes a pounding

OK, that's about as close as I can come to defining it... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Wasn't it Winged Panda who gave birth to the "Fruitbat" term? Just tryin' to keep my facts straight in case there's a test...

I think The Pie (on the Happy Times/dl thread) offered up another new COTH word: "adive" which was supposed to be "give advice."

In the spirit of Beaver Drilling, I think "adive" could figure in thusly: "I was utterly aghasted when, right before my blind date toled me, he inquired if I would give adive." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J4J:
    Beaver Drilling: oil-related company in Canada who sponsors many Spruce Meadows classes

"Mr. Bean LOVES that Beaver Drilling class!"

so... how about the actual definition in dictionary, and the link provides the Xrated COTH application? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>thats why i added the ending comment- i'm not sure how A N Y O N E can miss why beaver drilling (in so many ways, especially with an oil-related company http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif) ended up in our dictionary!

because its so hard to do it justice in one sentence, i thought putting the actual definition would intrigue someone to read the thread, knowing there HAS to be some other dirty sophmoric affiliation http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif

what do you think?

I don't think there is any way to expalin it euphamistically, J4J.

(where is the nodding, grinning icon with large bucked teeth?)
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Ya know....The more and more I read, the more I feel that for many of you, your true lifes calling is in television writing.

You all crack me up with your quick whit and humor.

Please make the move so I can get off these boards and back to watching some decent TV.

I betcha you could afford a "Strapless" after a few years of writing for the right show.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

I just stumbled across a new one tonight on the Horse Care forum. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Depthness: "Yeah essentially the mud depthness snuck up on us."

http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

J4J, it was perfect. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

As for the fruitbat, dude, those cheeks!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

k, still need "baby-eating", baby quiches, etc. and wedding tackle

plus a couple links to the original threads and example sentences

BTW Coreene, i'm glad you liked what i put about Willem- he's such a legend no one can do him justice http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif

Oh, Coreene...Turn my back for one day and you stir up the herd....

Not sure they originated here but first came upon craptastic and cat-herder here. I also thought numping started as typo by a young junior whose Mom quicky self induced her own Inverness by bunching up her breeches whilst typing....
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector