The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jeuvenile Squirrel!!!

Found a young squirrel in the parking lot at work. Fully furred, busy tail but obviously young. He's out of it, currently sleeping in a dog crate with a blanket.

I think he fell from a tree. One back leg doesn't appear to be functioning (no breaks that I can see).

What does he eat?

And yes, I will be in touch with a rehabber.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I might offer him sunflower seeds and/or peanuts, at least that's what I put outside for the birds and squirrels. (i also put out peanuts at night for the skunks and raccoons!!!!)

oh offer him water too.

please fix the spelling of your topic, it's juvenile

Thanks, and I cant

ah darn, anyway let me know if the squirrel eats and/or drinks something

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Thanks, and I cant
    Can't or don't know how?

There is a family of 5 young red squirrels living in a tree in our front yard. When I go for the paper in the morning they all panic and try to find a hole. Very cute. Destructive little buggers.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Tried and was unable.

There's a squrriel forum. Google it for good ideas on raising squirrels (for fun and profit).

But my mother successful rehabbed hundreds of squirrels over the years and they returned to the "wild," aka our bird feeders. Before there were pet stores.

You can use a dropper or a baby bottle (from the pet store). And use sugar water, then formula. We now use puppy powdered formula for squirrels. mother used years ago whole milk heated with sugar water.

I am so ticked off. The other day, coming back from the barn, a little squirrel was in the crosswalk in guyton. I stopped, and flashed my lights at the ***** white male driver coming towards me. He didn't stop and hit the squirrel right in the crosswalk. Then he stopped after he ran over the little guy. In a 35 mph zone. In a crosswalk. In daylight.

Most vets down here will euth injured animals that cannot be rehabbed for free.

I do believe he is past formula age. He's pretty old for a baby. He's the second one I have found, the other was a pinkie.

OK if he is past formula, pecans.
    I don't want to say my mother has always been a softie, but she used to shell pecans for squirrels.
    Now she just buys them shelled.

Those guys have sharp teeth. And can usually shell their own nuts. Also give peanuts (usually city squirrels eat those). And make sure he drinks water or he'll get dehydrated.

They also eat the black oil sunflower feeds in the bird feeder. And any bird seed.

Low protein dog food. When I researched feed for the 4 that I fostered, this is what was recommended.

He has a water bowl I gave him. He's still sleeping in the carrier. Probably a bit stunned right now.
    I gave him a half a bread roll and his water, since i am at the office and we are sans nuts.
    Can they eat macadamias and almonds? I have peanuts for sure.

My husband is going to shit. LOL.

He's going to stay on the patio in his crate tonight (door opened in case he wants to run).
    From my experience and research, he looks like he's on the verge of being a big boy squirrel. His claws are not sharp yet, but I bet he's got some chompers in that mouth.

they can eat macadamias and almonds, I don't know if they will.

I'd recommend keeping the cage shut, squirrels sleep at night so he wouldn't be wanting to run anyway. I'd leave the cage open during the day though.

Peanuts! I don't know about the others. We don't feed our "yard squirrels" any almonds or other exotic nuts. If they aren't grown in GA, they aren't fed (peanuts and pecans in ga).

They are so cute. But they do bite when they get older, so be careful!

Oh and leave the cage shut. Coons and dogs and cats will kill him at night (and during the day) When he's ready to leave you, he'll start climbing around the cage and wanting out during the day.

Good of you to save the little boy.

Oh, I will definitely leave the cage closed then. I will need to rig something since its going to rain heavily tonight. I'll be sure to leave it open tomorrow during the day, but the guy has a bum leg so I cant imagine he'll go far.

My vet actually treats squirrels for rehabbers. Wonder what he'd say about this guy

Your vet might give you a hassle about not being a licensed rehabber and confiscate your squirrel. I don't know what the wildlife laws are where you are, nor the temperment of your vet.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Your vet might give you a hassle about not being a licensed rehabber and confiscate your squirrel. I don't know what the wildlife laws are where you are, nor the temperment of your vet.
    Def NOT. He treated the pinky I had. Told me I could ask any questions.

Well there ya go!

DNR is not going to show up at your house about one squirrel. Now if you had a fawn, or 20 "wild" squirrels/coons/etc. in cages, well then probably. They are "rodents" to most people, and a lot of people don't like them. I think they are cute.

Good luck with the little guy. If he's not injured severely/permanently, he'll tell you when he's ready to go back out into the world. Put out a bird feeder and he'll hang around with his family. Just watch out for cats and dogs and coons, all of whom will kill him if they get the chance.