The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

While you take a look at her, remember that Emerald Downs is just winding down and Portland Meadows is starting. There are several OTTBs looking for new careers right now.

Plus a few PNW COTH members have OTTBs looking for new careers...

PM if you want some contact info. Is Portland too far to look?

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    I've been eventing for years, back in New York I did go training with an OTTB that I literally bought off the track. I do have a pretty good eye and know what I like to see but I find it also helps to have a second set of eyeballs in case I miss something. I do like the second horse Heinz but I think 17.1 is a little too big.

Yes, she is 15.1, I mis-typed the height. I am looking for a combination trail/eventer and since she already has the trail part, just need to work on the eventing part.

Maybe the stalling part is not a big issue. My little mare hates being stalled but puts up with it as long as I have plenty of food in front of her.
    Then go see if she clicks for you. You really can't tell much by the ad so I think you need to see her in person. I'm a bit opposite though....I'd take cash and a trailer. I can say no....but trust my gut and don't like to waste time. If you like her...and think she will be a fun project...then go for it. But that could just be me
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

General Chamberlin in Training Hunters, Jumpers and Hacks devotes close to 75 pages on what to look for when considering buying a horse.

I've quoted much of it here. You should look at what he says and follow his advice when going to look at her. He doesn't even mention watching the horse jump. He thinks it's all conformation, movement and balance over terrain, and temperament. He breaks down the conformation into Beauties and Defects. Horses haven't changed since his time, and he probably evaluated hundreds, even thousands of horses for sport while he was head of the Military's competition teams.

If you'd like a scan of the pages from the book, I'd be happy to email them to you.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

It's her little face that gets to me. They did have another picture of her being ridden a few months ago and I really felt sorry for her. Some yahoo was going down a hill and had a death grip on her mouth so much it was wide open. That's one of the reasons I am considering her so seriously. If I hear back from them - no phone, just email - I'll set it up for this weekend if possible.

Viney, yes, please! That would be great, thanks so much!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    General Chamberlin in Training Hunters, Jumpers and Hacks devotes close to 75 pages on what to look for when considering buying a horse.

I've quoted much of it here. You should look at what he says and follow his advice when going to look at her. He doesn't even mention watching the horse jump. He thinks it's all conformation, movement and balance over terrain, and temperament. He breaks down the conformation into Beauties and Defects. Horses haven't changed since his time, and he probably evaluated hundreds, even thousands of horses for sport while he was head of the Military's competition teams.

If you'd like a scan of the pages from the book, I'd be happy to email them to you.

when I've watched horses free jump....I'm not so focused on the jump. I want to see what they do with the question. Are they bold or timid. Do they seem to "problem solve". When they make a mistake...do they change what they do, shut down, throw a fit. I'm not really looking to see if they have scope or outstanding jump...but more their trainability and temperment.

So it isn't critical that I see them jump....just it can be helpful. I do think you can tell much more about their potential scope and athletic ability by how they are put together and how they move.

And then there is just the like factor. Does the horse click for you...do you like their look, personality etc. That you really can't tell by pictures alone.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I know exactly what you mean by their like factor. I've looked at several and tried several and none of them had that instant connection. I call it "listening to my inner bubba" So far my inner bubba hasn't steered me wrong. Found the best 3 horses of my life that way. Just knew as soon as I saw him/her that it they were the one. Sorry to digress but when I found my qh cross gelding, it was night when dh and I went to look at him and I rode him down the driveway and back and said I'll take him. I just knew. And 15 years later we're still together. He's one of the the best trail horses I've ever ridden and I love him dearly.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

It's her little face that gets to me.
    You must go and look!

(And report back!)

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

PM me your email address. I'll send the scans that I already have. I'll also scan some more pages to make the horse buying section more complete.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Question What is this?

Ee/Aa Doyou have any idea what her bloodlines are?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ames View Post
    Ee/Aa Doyou have any idea what her bloodlines are?

Carol that is just a typing for what sort of color foals she could produce....it would be of interest to people who might want her as a broodmare (and who breed for color)

I'm not a color expert but I think it means that while she is Bay...she carries a red gene so if bred to a chestnut or another bay horse that has a red gene...she could produce a chestnut. And because she is Aa....there is a chance (depending on the sire) that she could produce a black foal.

DO not trust me 100% on this...but basically that was put into her ad for people that are concerned about her color genetics. Personally...I'd rather know her pedigree

Well, haven't heard back from the seller. Maybe they sold her. I'll wait a day or two and see what happens. It would help so much if they gave me a phone number.

Success! I finally made contact. Since tomorrow is booked up for me - 3 horses I'm looking at all over the place, I'm going next Saturday. The ad came back up as a new ad just now so evidently they didn't sell yet. And with the picture they have, the won't sell anytime soon.
    Last edited by Mtn trails; Sep. 25, 2011 at 12:39 AM.

Good luck!

I would rather have a horse with trail experience than jumping. i can teach jumping, but i love if they already go out quietly. Keep us posted and good luck.

I'd take the trailer, the cash and my vet on that trip.
    How are we supposed to wait till NEXT Saturday? Can't you take tomorrow off and go get her?!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Ya, I wish I could take tomorrow off but things are really hectic around the plant getting the new airplane ready and all. And, I already rescheduled the people for today instead of yesterday. The owner of this mare are a little unusual, no "thanks for your interest" or any of that. Very abrupt as though I'm inconveniencing them with my inquiry.

I'd sure rather have an unraced TB (re: less chance of mental and physical unsoundness) and one that seems to have a very quiet temperment. Alot less retraining involved that an exracer as well. I just read a story recently about an top event horse that the rider got from a PACK horse string! And at least you can take her for a ride and try her out. No reason to not go take a look at least!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I don't want to end up with one no matter how sweet and find out she doesn't have any aptitude.
    The only way you can be SURE a horse has aptitude for eventing is if it is already eventing. Even one purpose bred for eventing.

But I agree with BFNE that you can tell a lot about ATTITUDE by how the horse reponds ot something new, whether it is free jumping, or walking across a tarp.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ames View Post
    take a good look at her canter, especially over a pole or two, remember , the canter is a betterpredictor of jumping ability/ aptitude than the trot.
    Carole, can you elaborate on this?
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I went and looked at another TB mare this morning, a 4 year old that has raced, I think 4 starts. Her name is North Town and is about 15.2 right now. She has got to be the most laid back 4 year old I've ever seen. Very sensible, the only thing I didn't like about her was her neck, on the short side and not shapely but that could come with time, the shapely part . She also tried evading the bit by twisting her neck to the side and sticking her nose in the air. However, with a little asking with the rein and leg, she started to figure it out and picked up a light contact. Nice mover, straight fronts, good feet, shoulder, actually looked more quarter horsey than TB.

The most exciting part was that although she had never been jumped before, I set up a couple of barrels end to end to see how she handled it and lunged her over. First she was going around but I put up a wing to guide her in and she was more than willing and once she got the idea, was happily jumping and looking very cute. Also took her for a short trail ride and she was quiet quiet quiet, it was very windy and horses in paddocks were running amok and she just looked at them and didn't turn a hair.

I really like this mare so she's definitely in the running.

Took at look at the mare in question today, not the mare in the above post, but the original mare I asked about, and I'm going to make an offer on her. Here's the scenario, picture if you will, way out in BFE, a dilapidated mobile home, horse with huge pot belly but good clean legs with awesome bone, nice shoulder, very free moving even at just an easy walk - good step and over tracking behind. Horse is 5, has no top line to speak of, just really really out of shape but is a sweetheart. Decent feet for a TB and straight fronts, and not at all bad behind, good long hip, a little long in the back but with proper conditioning it won't be an issue. I could only ride her in the very small front yard and only at walk at trot but she was agreeable. Needs help in steering and brakes but the basics are there. Poor kid was being ridden in a double twisted wire but that will change once I get her home. By next year, hopefully we'll have a totally different horse.

Took some video but it's 16 mm and needs to be digitized to post. I'm going to have my trainer view it and if he gives me the okay, then I'm moving forward with the purchase.

So there you are. Thanks for the enabling.