The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Updated! But no pics Would you take a chance?

I'm kind of torn here and need some advice from the more experienced. I am currently in the market for a new horse and there is one that keeps popping up on the web. It's an unraced 5 year old TB mare that has been used as a western trail horse so has no real formal training. The horse looks so sad and forlorn it just tugs at my heart. I know not to buy for emotional reasons but if I could give this horse a better life, I would. Super quiet, about 16 hands, just needs a bit of tlc and training. I am looking for a horse to go training level and maybe prelim so since this horse has no jump training, if I were to go look would you lunge her over a couple of jumps or trot over poles just to see how she reacts? I don't want to end up with one no matter how sweet and find out she doesn't have any aptitude.

Have you been in this situation and what did you do? Move on or take a look/chance?
    Last edited by Mtn trails; Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Forlorn horses cost as much to feed stable shoe train as one w/ some education.

While there are alot of stories about successful eventers found doing odd jobs...take a serious look at her conformation, feet, and natural athletic tendancies, free jump her at the very least....

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    I don't want to end up with one no matter how sweet and find out she doesn't have any aptitude.
    This may be the case on ANY horse that doesn't already have a few events under their belt or at the very least, some solid XC schooling - even with previous jumping training.

I go look, and will take a chance if everything else lines up. BUT, I'm also ok with figuring out what the horse wants to do and if that isn't eventing - helping it find a suitable home.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I have looked at horses that were that age and older and not started o/f yet (at the track), so I wouldn't dismiss her based on that (assuming she is also priced as a prospect). Honestly, you probably have a leg-up on the track setting in that you can ride her and see her in a home environment.

I do think that confirmation and movement are fairly good predictors of jumping ability (even more so than a first attempt at free jumping, IMO). If the owners are ok with it, I would try her over a x-rail (or a log, or haybales, if more available) to get a sense of her boldness and attitude toward trying new things.

I would try not to let her situation sway you too much either way--just look at her as another young, not yet jumping, TB prospect. Good luck and have fun trying her.

hmmm... there are a lot of horses out there, TONS and many that need better homes. If you go off that then you're going to want to buy them all. If you truly hope to compete to that level then you really need let go of emotion and look at the animal and closely. If she has the conformation, movement and shows good attitude towards work as well as boldness and a eagerness to do what you ask and the only thing going against her is that she needs a bit of tlc, and training then it would be worth it. But if she doesn't move worth a damn, and has a bad attitude, and shows no athletic ability then PASS.

That's kind of my thinking BMU. I sent the seller an email asking for additional pics from the side and without tack. Here's her ad for anyone interested:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/2604409963.html

Dang, doesn't look like it pasted as a link.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

You obviously can't see much from the ad, but for the price, could be worth bringing home and cleaning up if she's sound... she looks pretty relaxed about life at least
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I think you are projecting a lot on this horse. She looks healthy and well taken care of. Who says eventing is a 'better life'? Maybe she 'enjoys' trail riding.

Look at her if she looks like she will make a good eventer, but if she doesn't, she is just as likely as any other horse to end up in a fine, non-competition home.

O just go GET her
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I just mean by better life that she's not getting used - which is not bad by any means - but I like to see horses engaged and interested. I guess that comes from having horses that are always such goobers with tons of personality Hopefully they'll send some pics and I can say yay or nay on whether to drive down there or not.

Only one horse I've ever bought had jumping experience. I've bought everything from yearlings to 6 year old OTTB.

One of my best jumper I bought as a two year old and never saw him even free jump. He wasn't broke yet but I knew his breeding and his conformation screamed big time jump.

BOTTOM line...what is your goal. If it is to get out competing in eventing...save up and buy a horse who is already doing that job. If your goal is to enjoy the process of training a green horse....hopefully to be an event horse...then you look at prospects like this one and see if they are a type that you like. If you are able to free jump them a bit...you do. But you may want to take someone with a more experienced eye. I know what type of horse I like...but it takes years to learn to trust your own eye.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

My first horse, at 10, had never had formal jump training. He was used mostly as a trail horse, some basic dressage, and, surprisingly, was used as a therapeutic riding horse. BUT, jumping wasn't a completely foreign concept...he'd popped over his fair share of logs on trails.

My point is, trail horse doesn't mean much more than she's quiet and probably mannerly. She knows how to carry a ride in w/t/c over a variety of terrain (more than you can say for most 5 yr old OTTBs, actually). She's probably popped over things on the trail. She's got a very nice price for a prospect, and if she's decently put together (hard to tell) and is what they say she is, she'd probably be a steal and easily marketable into any other career if she doesn't work out as an eventer.

However, do re-read the ad. You say she is about 16h, but that ad says she is 15.1.

I'd be concerned that she doesn't like to be stalled. That can be a real pain with a horse that you want to event with. Most events require traveling to and stabling (at least) overnight.

That's entirely dependent on where you are -- I have evented for years and never stabled over night, in Area II; even at the AECs I found a nice paddock a few minutes from the horse park...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

asterix, Area VII is spread far and wide and the majority of events have temp stalls... rarely is there a 'horse hotel' anywhere nearby. Frankly, most of our events seem to be held in BFE or very near it!

For that price, in this area... I don't like her all that much. JMO.

I do like these two as projects, however:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/2586930273.html

and (I know I already sent you this mare..)

http://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/2588503467.html
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I've been eventing for years, back in New York I did go training with an OTTB that I literally bought off the track. I do have a pretty good eye and know what I like to see but I find it also helps to have a second set of eyeballs in case I miss something. I do like the second horse Heinz but I think 17.1 is a little too big.

Yes, she is 15.1, I mis-typed the height. I am looking for a combination trail/eventer and since she already has the trail part, just need to work on the eventing part.

Maybe the stalling part is not a big issue. My little mare hates being stalled but puts up with it as long as I have plenty of food in front of her.

Exclamation canter! canter, canter

take a good look at her canter, especially over a pole or two, remember , the canter is a betterpredictor of jumping ability/ aptitude than the trot.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I would say go and look, but don't take any cash with you and don't make the purchase there. Make sure you take someone with you that can say NO. Sounds like you already have a soft spot for her, and you may end up with something you don't want but feel sorry for (trust me I have done it several times). She might not be 16H, she could be lame, she could have issues. Then again she could be perfect for what you want. Best wishes

eta: just saw your post about her being 15.1h. I have found that a lot of CL horses are not the height ever posted lol, so she might not even be 15.1h. Who knows, she is worth a shot.

Question has she already touched yur heart?t!

Do take a look; it sounds as if she has already left hoofprints on your hearhas she already touched your heart?t!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Thumbs up so right!

This what gave me so much pleasure over the years:I'm also ok with figuring out what the horse wants to do and if that isn't eventing - helping it find a suitable home.