The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default At the risk of inciting a riot ;) looking for pic of tight side reins

I'd really rather this thread just end with the picture, as it was hashed and bashed to death when it was posted. I believe it was a Young Rider's pinto pony who had extremely short side reins. I just want the picture and the names, that's all, no need for discussion on it

Ahhhh, thank you! I had it in my head it was a spotted beasty, but it was his name that made me think that. Thank you!

Gorgeous pony!

funny because that's the EXACT picture i was thinking of

There's another one taken from his left, which is the one I had in mind originally

OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

That's it, thanks!

I don't get it. Why would anyone do this to a horse. Can someone explain? It looks abusive to me.

Thumbs down

Yep. These pictures caused the trainer a lot of grief as it should have.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

And its also a thread from a year. Lets find new old pictures of horse abuse!

I have seen some pretty nice ones of Dr. Heuschmann's riding last year too!

Yeah, that was ironic!

There are many pix of Power and Paint in the sliding side reins, and even more of the winners at home with draw reins on full bridles schooling. It is about submission, no challenge of the hand. And as long as the judges reward what happens after it (and don't ding what appears as a side effect on the gaits), it will continue. Pity the horse's bars of the mouth, the making of an S neck, the broken at the third vertebrae (not as clear on a wb than a thinner type horse), the effect of sliding side reins/side reins/draw reins will continue. Quicken the training/get longitudinal flexion (at any point in the neck) early. Few explain why this type is incorrect, and the student wants what they thing is control (giving to the bit).

The entire point of sr is for a horse to work systematically into a connection. First onto a caveson (less panic because the bit doesn't act no the bars), then onto the bit (ideally the horse is put to trot fairly quickly). One has to remember that s.r. do NOT allow bascule, so as little time as possible at walk or canter or 'somethings gotta give' and that will be the horse caused to be lower/closed/onto the forehand. That said HH (vibration on the line) should be introduced (on the caveson...not the bit) to teach the horse how to stay upright/slightly open/working into a connection. But we see them employed for 'giving' at the poll' (which is actually giving at the atlas) which is incorrect; the bending should be the cause for lateral flexion at the atlas/axis.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch.....I recommend ANYONE who wants to put ANY horse into a fixed headset to pull a picture of their skeletal system and muscular system up to see the damage being done...

OK..off my soapbox!! lol
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakend. ~Anatole France~
    www.EquineKneadsLLC.com