The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Good Thoughts for Today; Updated Pic 03/01/12

Working (technically), so I haven't got time to explain, but I would appreciate good thoughts for today for me and for the poor, unsuspecting folks who work for Delta Airlines.

Update tonight when dust has arrived and settled!
    Last edited by dressagetraks; Mar. 1, 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Oh my - is it a cat transport?

I think I'd officially be banned from air travel if I tried to fly with my hooligans anywhere! lol

Good thoughts for your journey and regardless of what it turns out to be, I hope everyone is okay tonight.

Kitten - coming to me. Several stages. Multiple planes.

Supposed to be a demanding diva sort, too. My type; I like 'em that way.

But I imagine Delta doesn't.

Oh this sounds like it's gonna be good :lo:

Congratulations on your kitten! Can't wait to hear how this goes.

Coda. A musical term, of course, but also literally Italian for tail.

Coda arrived by air today to join the menagerie at my farm. She's purebred Siamese, about 4 months old. Absolutely exquisite eyes. She is also very talented in the tail department for expression in the pictures I had seen of her; hence the name. I often name critters from either literature or music, but I couldn't resist the double meaning there.

She had an adventurous day touring several airports and half the country. I felt like I had nearly as adventurous a route picking her up. While I was sleeping, apparently, somebody had turned the airport around. I mean 180 degrees, flipped it. The back is now the front and vice versa. I haven't been there in months, but it had never occurred to me that the route might be different, since I drive underneath the runway approach path every week going to and from Mom visits, and I see planes taking off and landing all the time. Obviously, the airport was still located there. Yet when I took the known route, already a bit tight on time due to Friday traffic and lines, I wound up at a dead end. Yes, I was looking at the airport, through a fence and across a field. And there was no way to get there, although I did briefly wonder if Homeland Security would notice me driving through the 12-foot chain link fence and across to the terminal. Better not. Sigh. I went clear around instead, losing several miles in this, and finally found the brand-spanking new road that approaches the new front of the airport (that used to be the back).

Since I was a little late, Coda had already deplaned and was waiting, and I had to laugh at the picture. She had arrived on the same flight as a Beagle, and both were in their crates side by side set out to be claimed. Coda was protesting as only a Siamese can. The Beagle, meanwhile, was asleep.

I signed the form, picked her up, and headed out to the car, where I immediately became her hero by letting her out. I had brought a little litter box after her long day, but she was far more interested in the Fancy Feast I had brought as a peace offering. Yes, she decided I was one of the good guys fairly quickly. I scratched and sweet talked her a little bit, then drove home.

She is long, lean, and slinky, with a whipcord tail. Soft cream other than the Siamese points, has not yet got any age shading at all. And the eyes. They are the most gorgeous shade of blue, even for a Siamese. She's a talker, but she settled into conversation with me on the trip home rather than cursing, and appropriate to her name, she likes music and appreciated me singing to her.

Once home, I tucked her carrier in the bathroom and left the door to it open to give her a retreat. It is impossible in this old house to truly isolate anybody, due to the total lack of (working) doors. Not even the bathroom door functions as a door. There is no method of gradual integration. Not ideal, but short of perpetual crating (and she'd already been caged all day), everybody is together. The bathroom is, by virtue of being linoleum, the one place dog free, since Hannah slips and skates on linoleum and thus avoids it. Since Coda hadn't been used to dogs, I thought that might help.

All animals are behaving as expected so far. Hannah was curious and friendly but accepted a "leave her alone" and has settled down in the next room, banging her massive tail in answer to meows. She won't do anything; she adores cats. Coda seemed remarkably nonplussed at the giant-sized shaggy dog looking in the bathroom door, too. Maybe, after a day of planes and airports, dogs are just one more thing to be expected. All housecats but one disappeared to go be offended for a bit. They will gradually get closer over several days, hiss a few times, and be okay. I've seen all of them with new arrivals and know how they handle it.

And the one. The hardest introduction of all, and I watched it closely. HRH Rosalind, of course, did not retreat. Even on the day when I brought Hannah home, the walking grizzly bear into my previously dog-free home, and everybody else panicked and bolted, Rosalind stood her ground and cursed that dog up and down. Her Imperial Siamese Majesty will NOT retreat from intruders. It's undignified. She came in to hiss at the kitten (and investigate the now empty tin of Fancy Feast). Coda came forward to meet her. Rosalind commenced her sound effects, at which she is more talented than any cat I've ever known. She can produce a whole symphony of growls. Coda was a bit taken aback, but she wasn't panicked or hiding either. Good. I never thought Rosalind might actually hurt her, but HRH can put on an Academy-Award-winning act. She freaked Cory out but good at first, though Cory got her number fairly quickly. But Coda was holding her own. She will work out that Rosalind is all bluster, sounds and looks fierce and perpetually grumpy, and doesn't really do anything. She even produced a growl or two of her own. Rosalind inspected her, hissed at her, then harumphed off.

Coda is starting to explore now. I'm leaving the bathroom as her safety spot, with the open carrier with her pillow there, as well as food and water (litter box already there). But she's doing fine so far.

And such incredible eyes...

D C al Coda. Start over again and this time, take a different ending.

P.S. Better pictures coming. My digital camera, which I got USED in 2005, is getting more and more quirky in old age, one main one being that it hates artificial light. Any evening pictures need to be fiddled with to be visible, and I don't have time to fiddle tonight. Better ones also in light tomorrow. But here she is at the airport.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ks/Coda009.jpg

Oh my. Lovely! I grew up with Siamese, and while I have taken a vow to only have rescue kitties, I do love those blue eyed empresses!

*sigh* what a GREAT story, I was transported to your bathroom

Those eyes, you were not kidding about the blue. That is not like most Siamese eyes I have seen. They are aMAZing.

Wow, that's fantastic that she arrived and everything is going forward. Beautiful. I only had one Siamese but he was really special.

JB, this is my fourth purebred Siamese, and I've not seen this specific shade on any of the others. It's even better in RL.

Pegasus, I have an assortment. Lots of rescue kitties past, present, and future, and I will always have rescues. But yes, I do like a purebred or two as well just to spice up things.

ALL of the house cats, by the way, are females. Some people think I'm nuts for that, but I've always loved female cats. Just as I've always gotten along better with mares. I like that little extra attitude they have.

Great tail Fabulous eyes! Know what you mean about 'conversing' and 'cursing' although I've never owned a Siamese. My first Basenji sang and conversed. My second only scolded and cursed!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    ALL of the house cats, by the way, are females. Some people think I'm nuts for that, but I've always loved female cats. Just as I've always gotten along better with mares. I like that little extra attitude they have.
    I'm with you! Only female cats, dogs and horses here.

Your new Miss Coda is lovely, DT. Her eyes are amazing!

Oh, Coda is so beautiful! Congratulations on your new family member, and hopefully she will soon be free of her bathroom and all her new family will have accepted her, and she them.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Out and about this morning. Her choice; she still has her carrier available in the bathroom.

She's curious with the other cats but cautious to hisses, too. Shows GREAT interest in Tenuto, by far more than any other cat. Tenuto obviously must look like the adult seal points she's lived with. Tenuto shows interest in her, too, but not quite sure yet.

She hisses at poor Hannah. Cautious but not running. She's never met a dog, and that's a lot of dog for your first one. I've tried telling her that Hannah is the friendliest ally and the fastest snuggle out of all of them, but she doesn't believe me yet.

She is also an ankle winder. I'll have to be very careful not to kill myself and/or her. She's so little and lithe, she seems like she'd snap easily. She definitely has spunk, though. Barely 12 hours into the place, and she's holding her own with the others.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...a092411002.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...a092411004.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...a092411006.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...a092411007.jpg

Last night when I went in to bed and turned on the light in there, she had found the bed. She was curled up on it about 2 feet from Chiam, who was being better than I'd expected just then. (Chiam is getting old and turning a bit grumpy.) Coda was delighted when I got in bed myself. We did have to have a few discussions about the purpose of this activity (not to flip-flop all night) and enforce peace (no physical feline arguments in bed), but she enjoyed it.

Just a little while ago this morning, I was in the chair in the living room studying the Bible, and Coda had gotten up in my lap. Tenuto walked by on the floor, and Coda reached out immediately and snagged her tail, to which Tenuto gave a half-hearted hiss. Then a few minutes later, Rosalind was in the living room floor playing - solo. HRH does not play with other cats. Rosalind had her eye on a mouse and was doing that crouch and hindquarters twitch thing before the pounce. Coda perked up, and I could almost see the little red devil pop up on one shoulder, like in the cartoons, as she thought about pouncing off the chair onto Rosalind. I told her she REALLY didn't want to do that and is too little and bony to risk a serious disciplinary toss. Fortunately, Rosalind bounced on then and removed temptation.

But for barely 36 hours into the place, Coda is all over the house now and even starting to try to play with the other cats. She's dealing with all the changes in her life very well. She was living at the cattery in a group of I think 12 Siamese - adults and weaned kittens - so she is quite used to interacting in a big social pride.

Oh my, she is SO beautiful. But you can see the 'tude for sure. I think she will give HRH a run for her money.

Love them 'meezers. Smartest cats ever.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

Default Of Table Rules, Turkey Burgers, and Cantaloupe

A very adventurous dinner tonight . . . but NOT due to the newest addition.

I have immediately started with Coda on teaching my basic household feline commandments. These are few (much fewer than ten). Some cats learn faster than others, but I've never had a cat who couldn't or wouldn't learn them. The rules distill down to three basic commandments:

1. Thou shalt not step upon the keyboard.
    2. Thou shalt not approach food in my possession unless it is directly offered to you, and at mealtime, thou shalt not cross the leaf line of the table onto my end while I am sitting there eating.
    3. Thou shalt not covet the lap upon which a previous cat is already installed.

This is a smart kitten, and she's doing very well. She now stops what she's doing or thinking about at a sharp "no" about 95% of the time, she has adopted her own favorite position of on my lap under the table at mealtime but learned not to try to come over between the table and my stomach, and I've only actually had to toss her twice. The first time was during our first discussion about the keyboard, which took a bit of persistence, but she accepted the idea by the end. Not that I think anything is firmly learned yet; she's still new to class, and I cut her slack on expectations accordingly. But she's very bright.

The second time I tossed her was tonight.

For dinner, I had turkey burgers and the latest cantaloupe from the garden. I had been thawing for a day and a half a tube of frozen ground turkey, enough for three meals, so tonight, the first opening of the tube, I would be separating out 2/3 and putting that back in the fridge for tomorrow and Wednesday. I opened the tube on the kitchen counter and started to form a burger, and Coda sat straight up with her nose twitching. Next moment, here she came, swarming over the recliner, across the extension between the living room and the kitchen, and up onto the counter like an invading army of one. I said "no," and that time, she ignored me and kept on coming. So I threw her (carefully). No possible chance of mistaking this as a game. She hit the ground and looked back up at me, and I repeated the "no." After that, she paced around my ankles and meowed, but she didn't attempt a frontal assault again. No rules against sound, so I let her sing and kept working.

I made my two turkey burgers for tonight, got them cooking, and put the remainder of the turkey into a Ziploc. I then started over to the fridge to put the Ziploc in, and Coda got up on top of the recliner again, looking at the kitchen counter. That time, she listened to the "no," even with me across the kitchen. She was definitely lusting after those turkey burgers, but she didn't go for them. As a reward, I put down the plate the tube of turkey had thawed on and I'd opened it on, which now was full of blood and turkey bits. Put that in the floor, and all cats came in (anything on the floor is fair game). Coda was right there nose to nose with Rosalind and wasn't backing down; she got her full share. For the first time, she didn't even yield to Hannah, who is perpetually a day late and a dollar short to floor treats. Poor Hannah. But if she's on time, HRH Rosalind slaps her back, and in spite of the size difference, Hannah yields the field.

While they were polishing the plate and the turkey burgers were cooking, I processed the cantaloupe. I love cantaloupes, but they are rather a mess. I ended up as usual with a plate of cantaloupe slices for me and another plate of rinds, seeds, etc., to take out to the horses. Normally, I'd take the plate out to them immediately after cutting a cantaloupe, but I didn't want to leave the kitchen with the turkey burgers going, so I just pushed that plate back on the counter to go out afterward.

Back over to finish the turkey burgers, with Coda from one side and Chiam from the other both coveting up a storm, but both of them responded to a well-timed "no" at the moments temptation would start to push them forward. Nobody got on the counter by the stove I was standing at. Finished the turkey burgers, and Rosalind, who is quite analytical, was already on the table behind the leaf line wearing a brightly polished halo. She knows that exceptional table manners on a delicious meal often lead to another treat bite at the end.

I sat down to eat, Rosalind behind the line, Coda in my lap underneath. Had my turkey burgers in perfect peace up until the last few minutes of the meal. Tenuto, meanwhile, was over on the stove polishing the skillet. I heard Tenuto growl, apparently staking claim against another cat, but my back was to the stove, so I paid no attention. They could discuss that out for themselves. Suddenly . . .

CRASH!!!!!!

I turned around just in time to see a gray-and-white pinto blur flash by me. It was Cory. Apparently, in retreating from Tenuto, she knocked into the cantaloupe rind plate. It was nowhere near the edge, but it was, of course, goopy and wet, and if a cat backed straight into it, I could see the cat making a sharp reaction jump. And Cory is not the most graceful feline I've ever known.

She turned the entire thing over. Plate, rinds, seeds -- all of it in a glorious shatter/spatter across the entire kitchen floor, which is now carpeted since Hannah's arrival so she can walk on it. A 5-star mess.

Cory stopped at the edge of the living room and started trying to bathe, actually having cantaloupe seeds stuck to her. Tenuto kept grooming the skillet, Rosalind didn't move but had an eye on my plate to see if I'd get up to deal with the mess, and Coda had jumped off my lap at first at the noise but then came back. To get up would have been the official "I'm done eating" signal, and a 2-minute delay approaching a 5-star mess isn't going to make it any worse. I stayed put and finished the turkey burger, giving a tidbit at the end to Rosalind and also to Coda for exceptional behavior, as neither had made a move toward my plate the whole meal, even though they were very aware what it contained.

Then over to deal with the mess. I got a dirty plate to collect the rinds while calling Cory a few choice adjectives and then knelt down in the floor.

Oops. Of course, me kneeling down in the floor holding a plate is a whole other signal. Here came everybody, tuning back up in full volume, Coda most persistent vocally of all. Meow, meow, meow! They sniffed at the rinds as I started to collect them, sniffed at the seeds I was scraping up, sniffed at the large plate pieces I gathered, and then looked at me as if "okay, where are you hiding the good stuff?"

"Sorry, false advertising," I said. They didn't believe it. So, in the middle of entwining felines and with Coda complaining most of all, I cleaned up the 5-star mess. Hannah even came in, summoned by the clamor, to see what treat everybody was getting, and she didn't believe there really wasn't one any more than they did.

Coda is learning the rules of the farm very nicely, but I only wish I could figure out a way to teach Cory (and her partner in klutziness, Chiam) to be a little more graceful.

I have not yet gotten a picture that truly does full justice to her incredible eyes, but these are a little better. Very deep, vivid blue. Gorgeous.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k.../092611003.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k.../092611001.jpg

Coda and HRH Rosalind - the kitten is wary, but she is NOT backing down.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k.../092611005.jpg

What awesome blue eyes, never seen any quite like those.

I considered naming my dog Coda, she is my last one, after the sonata form, not the tail, she is missing it.

Most of our cats have been siamese mixes, but one pure siamese, Sir Kitty, well named, he was an aristocrat amongst cats.

Coda looks like a wonderful, ethereal cat.

I think you have Sharp-ied Coda's eyes. They can't possibly be real