The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paradise Farm?

Considering entering the Oct recognized HT. What can my fellow COTHers tell me? It would be my guys 2nd recog Training (more unrec). He is a XC machine; stadium - meh.

I went to the website and it looks like the stabling is not at the venue. Is this correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Training level has every ditch question you can ask at that level, and usually in this order: Weldon's Wall, trakhener and full coffin. It's a fairly substantial course, it's usually used as a prep for the next level.
    Last edited by Duramax; Sep. 23, 2011 at 09:19 PM.

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Good to know, thanks. He isn't especially "ditchy" so still a possible. Is the terrain an issue? I've seen it described as hilly. Hilly like Tryon? Or hilly like Full Gallop?

Stabling?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

It is literally right down the road from Full Gallop, so I'm assuming hilly like Full Gallop. I've only jumped around Paradise (fun!), but considering you can just about spit and hit Full Gallop, you can assume the terrain will be very similar! The courses are all lovely. Expect big, but inviting and fair. I don't remember a Weldon's Wall (I watched my horse jump around training there in Feb...before he was my horse), but there is a coffin and a trakhner.

Paradise is quite hilly. The course is big but fair. There was a big brush with ditch, but not sure if it is still there. Definitely coffin and trakehner. I don't think of it as move up course.

Significantly hillier than Full Gallop. I have never been to Tryon so can not make that comparison. Quite big and the terrain definitely adds difficulty to some of the questions, but there is nothing I would consider tricky or trappy, just big, solid and steering required. I missed seeing the dressage in February there, but in the past the dressage rings have been quiet close together, leading to some interesting moments on my younger/spookier horses.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

If you have a horse who doesn't like leaving his new friends in the warm up to walk up a long hill to the start and gallop away from civilization into a W.I.D.E. expanse of rolling hills covered with jumps then be ready for stickiness to the first fence. Ask me how I know?! The venue is gorgeous, yes, hillier than FG, the courses are beautiful and fair. Show jumping is in a big sand ring. It is a lovely event. Don't know where stabling is...
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Not a straight-up-and-down hill like Tryon.... more a series of large rolling hills. Footing significantly better than Tryon, nice sandy loam instead of red clay/bulltallow. It can rain for days and Aiken will still have good footing.... Paradise does have courses that are big and ask all the questions.

Jennifer

The terrain is typical Aiken rolling hills with sandy loam footing. Good venue. Great XC, not too difficult, but not necessarily easy. Lellie always puts on a good event. Stabling is onsite from the looks of the Omnibus.

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info and PM's. Sounds like a super place. Maybe let him get a couple more unrec before taking it on (I'd hate to fill up the small amount of helmet-cam memory with circles )
    Cotton would fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Considering entering the Oct recognized HT. What can my fellow COTHers tell me? It would be my guys 2nd recog Training (more unrec). He is a XC machine; stadium - meh.

I went to the website and it looks like the stabling is not at the venue. Is this correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.
    Stabling is onsite: fee pays for Thurs-Sunday...you can go out Sunday and redo anything at any level you want to get better at or rethink. FUN!!!
    Last edited by RunForIt; Sep. 24, 2011 at 05:58 AM.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I actually think it is hillier than Tryon- there you go up then down. At Paradise it's about 10 up and downs of the same degree. Also it's a long skinny property, so you have to keep focused. Very nice event.

Never shown there but school it during "spring training." Our flatlanders are really tuckered out by the hills. I'm also very impressed by how tough some of the XC courses are in Aiken at the few shows we go watch. Lellie is super nice and one heck of a rider too.

I will be going to the fall event. Offsite stabling is usually 2 miles up the road. Last year for one day stadium was on grass and a lovely flowy course. I don't think the xc courses are overly hard, very fair for the level. I know she is changing the courses and re-doing footing in h2o jump. Should be lots of fun!