The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default through being forward?

What is the difference between being through and being forward?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

forward is a direction
    through is a connection
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I thought you meant you had had enough of going forward and were going to go backwards for a while.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    I thought you meant you had had enough of going forward and were going to go backwards for a while.
    That might be the funniest thing I heard all day!

To me through is a result of being straight and on the aids. Once a horse is through then he can truly be forward and free and fluid in his movement.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

through (Durchlässigkeit) means the horse is relaxed/unconstrained, that it is forward and that it allows the aids to permeate its body to reach the ground and back to the mouth, and it responds to those aids and that there is no blockage or "holes" where an aid can escape.

here is more info: http://books.google.com/books?id=BY4...page&q&f=false

"forward" = is not only a direction, but it is the horse being willing to move as energetically as the rider requests, that it is self motivated to continue that movement. Forward is a part of Throughness.

and of course, the more "through" a horse gets, the more straight it will be able to be, the more through it can be, the more straight it can be, etc.

all the elements feed into each other always and on and on and on....

Agree with everything said - I also look at forward as in front of the leg and ready on the aids for instruction. If a horse is anything but forward - he must GET forward before he can respond correctly. The horse is moving with some power off the hind forwardly. NOT fast. But with energy. Through is felt when you FEEL the power stretching from the hind through the horse as he goes forward.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    through (Durchlässigkeit) means the horse is relaxed/unconstrained, that it is forward and that it allows the aids to permeate its body to reach the ground and back to the mouth, and it responds to those aids and that there is no blockage or "holes" where an aid can escape.

here is more info: http://books.google.com/books?id=BY4...page&q&f=false

"forward" = is not only a direction, but it is the horse being willing to move as energetically as the rider requests, that it is self motivated to continue that movement. Forward is a part of Throughness.

and of course, the more "through" a horse gets, the more straight it will be able to be, the more through it can be, the more straight it can be, etc.

all the elements feed into each other always and on and on and on....
    Great post.

Elmar Pollmann-Schweckhorst presents, imo, a really great 'alternative scale' that, without giving up the hierarchical order of the training scale, incorporates and illustrates better (imo) the interplay between all the components of the training scale.

I also agree with LaraNSpeedy's post
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

forward-a desire to move with energy, mentally and physically.

through-the ebb and flow of the energy from horse to rider and back again.

There is also a difference between "forward" and "poof" when you ask the horse to go forward and it bolts out from under you without paying attention to what you want.

Not sure anyone said POOF? But I agree with that - forward is not when a horse overreacts or runs away or bolts or goes 'fast' - I have seen a lot of people mistake forward and fast.

Most horses going too fast have lost rhythm and they may be running downhill.

But if a horse is properly forward, they should be in front of the leg and ready for instruction, in a working way not POOF. Forward is more than a direction to me. A horse can be moving technically forwardly but be behind the leg and is not then actually 'FORWARD'.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraNSpeedy View Post
    Not sure anyone said POOF? But I agree with that - forward is not when a horse overreacts or runs away or bolts or goes 'fast' - I have seen a lot of people mistake forward and fast.

Most horses going too fast have lost rhythm and they may be running downhill.

But if a horse is properly forward, they should be in front of the leg and ready for instruction, in a working way not POOF. Forward is more than a direction to me. A horse can be moving technically forwardly but be behind the leg and is not then actually 'FORWARD'.
    The poster before you said poof. And I believe you're just agreeing with that post...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Is it something you can tell if you're watching another horse and rider? Or only feel as you're riding?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Is it something you can tell if you're watching another horse and rider? Or only feel as you're riding?
    Me, personally... I can't always tell.

Judges, on the other hand, have always been able to tell in my experience. I get "your horse looked GREAT!" from spectators, and I know that there was something lacking... and the score sheets exactly match what I felt.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed