The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default turning out with boots

My horse has a tendency to cut up the insides of his legs with opposite hoof. Getting a bit frustrated with having to cold hose and wrap the cuts. He swells and gets heat in the leg pretty quickly.

Boots would help, wonder if he would keep them on all day.

So do any of you boot your horses? All day turn out or just a few hours?

What brands and style do you use?
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

I have booted some horses in the past...not always as I think there are a lot of risks with boots as well.

If it isn't really wet out, I prefer to use these boots as most everything else caused rubs.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=250132158

or

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Valena_B.../9796-9797.htm

I found that the cheaper versions of these didn't stay put (spun) or rubbed. I did have one monster boy who went out at night in them.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I also turnout in the Toklat Valena boots for those who really need it. I have had success with a fetlock ring with one who tended to whack himself http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Horse-F.../dp/B000BDBKZA
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Another fan of the Valena boots. Prefer over the Heidi's, FWIW.

I have the same problem. I am using a Cashel Crusader mesh fly boot. Since our guys have access to small sand paddocks 24/7 or are out on grass the boot stays on. I take it off and check him a couple of times a day. So far so good.
    ETA For the big field turnout the boys get fleecy boots for the couple of hours or so they're on grass. I use the fly boot for the other 24/7 "normal" turnout, and only on the leg he seems to cut routinely.
    Last edited by riderboy; Sep. 23, 2011 at 07:02 AM.

I'll throw my vote in with BFNE and scubed. Mine are the same concept, but different brand - Dressage Sport Boots. They work well for my big boy who tends to interfere behind. Unfortunately the pain of smacking his own bare leg with the opposite (shod) hoof is not enough incentive to not do it again, so he goes in boots. They wash well, too.

One word of caution - they have elastic in the straps, so make sure your barn staff are adept at applying turnout boots. It *is* possible to bow a horse with an elasticized boot, if your staff come from the As Tight As Possible school of booting. Ask me how I know... (it was with a completely different type of elasticized turnout boot, FWIW)

Good luck!

I use to turn my horse out in Woof boots- they didn't seem to bother him but know that some horses have issues with neoprene.

I think most boots would work as long as you keep them clean, check for tears, and make sure they fit properly!
    proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse (and one useful horse!)

Horse Thoughts

I would never turn out in neoprene boots, ever.

I had pretty good luck with these Cashels. They are good for most weather except deep mud. With the fronts worn over bell boots, they were fine for rain or snow as they didn't get too wet. I did not have to worry about sweating or bandage bows (they are quite thick - obviously you could bow if you did the elastics way too tight, but I had no problem with them being incorrectly applied).

I also used a donut boot when the cuts were in that area - it was somewhat successful but not perfect.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

All my upper level horses have and do go out in boots. They wear 3DX bell boots, and a combination Woof, NEW, and Boogaloo boots in the field.

my hunter goes out "Bubble wrapped." he is wonderful at self inflicting wounds while rolling, galloping, rearing, spinning, etc etc

i have used several kinds but my favorites are :

woof boots - neoprene obviously you all know about but they are easy to clean

http://www.smartpakequine.com/sport-...x?cm_vc=Search
    my horse is a big 15.3 and he wears a medium or large.

if you go with rear ankle boots instead of full my horse is currently turned out in the cheap roma ankle boots that are neoprene lined

he also wears these bell boots and i can not say enough great things about them:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/easy-st...1-0410/cn/120/
    gum stretches best. i order a size up. he wears an XL bc of a slightly clubbed foot. plus he just pops them off if he steps on them too hard.

My issue with booting is are the issues caused by wearing boots for an extended time worth the protection? Now, I'm overly concerned with this, considering that Vernon and now Toby both have very sensitive skin, and both were/are pretty capable of self inflicted wounds (I mean, Toby managed a tendon injury IN HIS STALL!).

The suggestions given are all good, though. If your horse is sensitive, I'd stick to fuzzy boots, unless it's very muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by atheventer85 View Post
    All my upper level horses have and do go out in boots. They wear 3DX bell boots, and a combination Woof, NEW, and Boogaloo boots in the field.

Slight hijack here.

My horse is notorious for pulling his front shoes off. We pulled the hinds, which helped for about a week. I have him in regular rubber bell boots because he loses them all the time in a HUGE pasture.

Question... would the 3DX bell boots cover the heels of the shoes and stay put enough to be worth the expense? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by runnyjump View Post
    Slight hijack here.

My horse is notorious for pulling his front shoes off. We pulled the hinds, which helped for about a week. I have him in regular rubber bell boots because he loses them all the time in a HUGE pasture.
    My horse is a pro at pulling shoes off. When he is shod and on a turnout schedule (vs. right now being fat and fuzzy in a pasture, barefoot) I use Professional's Choice ballistic overreach boots. They don't wrap all the way around the hoof like bell boots, and there's a nub in the back to keep them from spinning around. Plus, they hold up SUPER well and are easy to hose off.

I tried regular bell boots and they would either get lost or torn up, but these have lasted forever and when he wears them he comes back with shoes intact.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/profes...oot-6205p.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    My horse is a pro at pulling shoes off. When he is shod and on a turnout schedule (vs. right now being fat and fuzzy in a pasture, barefoot) I use Professional's Choice ballistic overreach boots. They don't wrap all the way around the hoof like bell boots, and there's a nub in the back to keep them from spinning around. Plus, they hold up SUPER well and are easy to hose off.

I tried regular bell boots and they would either get lost or torn up, but these have lasted forever and when he wears them he comes back with shoes intact.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/profes...oot-6205p.aspx
    THANK YOU! He has thinner soles so he gets sore pretty easily. I would like to have him shod in front if possible. Helps his movement up front. Although I like the price of the trim only!

I also like fuzzy boots if you feel you need to use some. I currently use the fleece topped bell boots for some added protection up the pastern, and the hope they keep some shoes and heel bulbs intact. Most fleece topped I have bought don't last, except these:
    http://www.perrisleather.com/product...ece_Bell_Boots
    Last a good long time. Rotate them with dry ones in wet weather so as not to put on wet ones for the day.