The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for NICE leather halters

Anyone know of a sale on GOOD leather halters? I'm needing to buy several and not looking forward to spending the big bucks. I love. my Walsh halters, that would be my preference if I can find them on sale. Dover is Dover....jist hoping to find a "deal". Tried the Smart Pak ones which were nice, but I can't get past the giant Smart Pak on the brass. I didn't realize I was a tack snob until I started noticing the cheap leather and really yellow brass. ~sigh~. Any suggestions?

Check out quillin leather. They do fabulous customized work. I just got my custom plated halter from them and it is beautiful!! I highly recommend their work.

Second quillins. Their stuff is amazing.

Default Another leather halter super store

Also in Lexington is Fennel's. Beautifully made halters. They have their own leather shop. They smell wonderful, look wonderful, last forever. And about half the price of the catalog halters www.fennells.com
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

Third Quillins. If you have checked out the Keeneland Sales going on now, you can bet that a lot of them are wearing halters from Quillins.

Gary Mundy makes them for the same price as Quillin, but IMO the finish is nicer. And he will do custom stitching for no extra charge.

Love Quillins, but I also really like Tory leather, and their halters come in a range of "niceness", with even the lower end ones being nice. My showing halter is the nicer of the niceness ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone Farm,Ky View Post
    Also in Lexington is Fennel's. Beautifully made halters. They have their own leather shop. They smell wonderful, look wonderful, last forever. And about half the price of the catalog halters www.fennells.com
    I second Fennels. Beautiful quality and very reasonable. I won't buy anything else.

oh you're right those Fennels are nice and very inexpensive. Any experience with the turnout halters?

with both of the Kentucky made brands, what size would you order for a medium/large pony...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    with both of the Kentucky made brands, what size would you order for a medium/large pony...?
    Quillin's has a very comprehensive size chart. Their stuff runs very large, so do measure before ordering.
    https://quillin.com/jshop/page.php?j...age=size1.html

I love my Quillin and have two barnmates who bought Quillins after inspecting mine. That said, there are LOTS of great American halter dealers. I agree with JB that Tory is a nice budget pick--it's not as nice as Quillin but significantly cheaper than Quillin and a lot of halter for the money. I'd say Kyhorse.com, Tackshackocala.com, and Danzigbros.com are right on par with Quillin for quality. Some people like Albrights (albrighthalters.com) but they fell off my list when they started using a red-toned leather, ew. Bartville Harness Shop makes a nice halter too, but there's a hassle factor since they're Amish and only take cash/checks.

awesome, I need a good quality turnout (have a Walsh show halter), so one will be coming my way from kyhorse.com. Thanks for the tip very inexpensive and just the way I want it (with throatlatch snap, nameplate etc)

Cothers are awesome! Thanks for the input! It's been a few years since I had to buy new halters and I had totally forgotten Quillens. Never heard of Fennels. Mine are warmbloods and an appendix.....guess I better measure first. The regular Walsh fits great (adjustable nose and double buckle crown) . Not sure how these will fit my crew

I have a Wellfleet padded leather halter from SmartPak. It has held up to rain, snow and a wild mare for over 1 year now and still looks great - no signs of wear. It is fancy looking too and cleans up just find to be a show halter as well.

These are not easy on the pocket book but they are the nicest halters I have ever seen.

They are standard in my barn. All (three horses ) have them.

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idproduct=2512
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

oh you're right those Fennels are nice and very inexpensive. Any experience with the turnout halters?
    All our horses wear the Fennels Turnout halters. I have a batch of extras so I can change out for clean ones. They have stood up to 4 years of constant abuse and still look nice.

Another Fennells fan here. I've had those turnout halters last just about forever with zero care on the old mares turned out 24/7/365. On a couple of them the brass ring on the bottom wore though before the leather died.

Fennells bridles are awesome, too.

For name tags, I'm now a fan of haltertags.com.

Also in KY is Pinkston's Turf Goods, I actually like their halters a bit more than Quillens although they are both nice.

I LOVE my Tack Shack of Ocala halter. I debated between getting one from Quillens, but in the end I liked to look of the stitching on the Tack Shack of Ocala halter better. Plus the price was better

Default R.E. Fennells ``` Red Mile Track `` Lexington, Ky.

R.E. Fennells located at the Red Mile Track Lexington,Ky. = nothing better for the $ ``` IMHO
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Sep. 24, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"