The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Insulin resistant/pre-cushings/cushings HELP!!

So my horse just had some tests done and sure enough, no more sugar. Unfortunately he is a mama's boy who is spoiled by treats, so now that I have to hold off he keeps giving me these looks as if to say "Why do you hate me? What did I do wrong?". It's killing me. The vet said no sugar, low carb treats are ok. Peppermints are allowed too, and the occasional treat treat won't hurt him. I have to talk to the vet again because I am new to this and am not totally clear on what I should be restricting/looking for in treats. I hate peppermints, so I want something new. He is allowed one sugar cube a day, but that is certainly not enough

So anyway, has anyone found good treats for horses with cushings/pre-cushings or who are insulin resistant?

The usual at our house is:

Celery (not as yummy as carrots, but they learn to love it)
    Roasted peanuts in the shell
    Sugar Free Peppermints ( or any other hard candy with No Sugar)

Along with SmartAlex's recommendations, my IR Percheron A-D-O-R-E-S Herballs

I give raw, in-the-shell peanuts (good protein without the sugars of alfalfa) and BOSS.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

What you give them matters much less than the fact that you gave them something. A timothy hay pellet makes them just as happy.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Great suggestions.....I would also subtraction check out Heiro. I think it's www.heiro.com. This supplement makes all the difference in the world for mine. She can be on pasture without a muzzle as long as we are reasonable. Her feet aren't sore either. There are other great suggestions on the site that might be of help to you. Sadly, most veterinarians don't know about Heiro. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    What you give them matters much less than the fact that you gave them something. A timothy hay pellet makes them just as happy.
    You bet! You wouldn't believe the mugging that goes on for a simple little peanut! Although, now my mother has my horse hooked on some fancy local gourmet potato chip. I doubt potatoes are on the low carb list!

My vet recommended Peppermint flavored Rolaids as a treat for my IR horse. I also discovered that sh likes the sugar free mint lifesaver candies.

I give low NSC alfalfa pellets as treats. I found a brand that made a larger sized pellet that was perfect, and of course I threw the bag away and can't remember which it was now that I'm running low...

Skodes makes low NSC treats that are safe for IR horses.

I have a severly IR mare, and I worked with a nutritionist to design a feeding program that is safe for her. Get your hay tested, to find out sugar and starch levels and mineral content.

IR horses can be difficult to manage, especially if you've never had one before. My IR mare is my first IR horse, so after working with my vet on diagnosing her as IR, I found a nutritionist to work with who helped me design a feeding program suited to her needs. And I also have a good trimmer who keeps her hooves trimmed in proper balance. Between getting her diagnosed early, getting her on a mineral balanced low sugar low starch feeing program including free choice low NSC hay, and regular trims, my IR mare is doing very well.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

There is a good website, www.ecirhorse.com
    ETA, exercise is very important in managing IR-ness. If the horse is not laminitic, rejoice, because if you keep the critter in work, and manage diet appropriately, this is an annoyance rather than a death sentence.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Default Jingles for your horse and you ```

Jingles for your horse and you during this change ...

Jingles & AO ```

Just plan your work and work your plan ``` a manageable situation with some pre-planning
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

My horse isn't IR yet, but has Cushings. I'll have to try peanuts as a treat--much cheaper than the Hilton Herballs he loves. Actually, I love them too. Make me crave pizza in the worst way when I smell them.

Thanks so much everyone!! My vet put him on a supplement/medication and said to keep the feed (Ultium), hay and turnout the same. Doesn't sound as severe as it could be. But I have super exciting news!!!! Just paged through the latest SmartPak catalog, and they actually have treats for IR horses!!! First place I've seen that carries anything like it They are made by Withers & Withers. Very excited to try them As I said, my horse is SPOILED (think handful of treats when I see him, as well as all of my other boys, handful of treats while grooming, handful of treats after and of course a super special apple and treats when I say goodbye - every horse in my barn gets this much love. Yes I realize that it might be overkill but they are certainly loved and they know it!) so one sugar cube a day is just not enough love and peppermints and anything else individually wrapped is a pain and ends up not being enough love either - I need treats by the handful or something big and yummy like apples, carrots or bananas

Quote Originally Posted by NWDressage View Post
    But I have super exciting news!!!! Just paged through the latest SmartPak catalog, and they actually have treats for IR horses!!! First place I've seen that carries anything like it They are made by Withers & Withers. Very excited to try them
    Withers & Withers... meh. The can is really pretty. My horse was unimpressed, and like a good owner I sampled one myself. I agreed with him.

www.skodeshorsetreats.com is the answer.