The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    Yes at that time there were many, many issues she faced, but for those of you that think money might not have been an issue. She went to the olympics when a talented, but poor person could make it. She didn't grow up with a silver spoon.
    I dont want to start a mosh-pit, but if it is true she then traveled to a dressage show after dropping them off, makes me question the finances-as-reason bit. Even if she wasn't showing herself, I would spend my last dollar on my horses before letting them get into bad condition. I would not be traveling anywhere--Id be too busy freaking out about my animals. There is poor--then there's poor. Poor enough not to be able to feed, and poor enough to not be able to go compete.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Default Here we go again

Sigh, am I the only one thinking of PintoPiaffe?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I'll break my non-participation rule for this one: I lived by Gwen for 5 years & drove by her place regularly, also, & even worked for her for a short time. Things were as Brooke & grandprixjump said, which is why I quit. Thus, I'm not surprised to read of the allegations. I know nothing of her current affairs, but based upon the past, I'm not surprised at a story of neglected horses, dropping horses off in the dark, etc.

I found it a shame back then, since she was such a talent, that she'd "let things slide" & has continued to do so in the intervening years, if the allegations/"facts" are true. I add this to prepare those interested in knowing if the allegations are true, for the fact that they very well might be.

I hope that the horses get well & that authorities ensure that those on her property are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    My last comment in quotes was put in as an oblique reference to that whole saga - and the other threads over the years where COTH has debated "is X a justifiable seizure or incompetence/vendetta/etc." I hope we focus on fact-checking and not trainwrecks with this one.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Thumbs down

There are plenty of new pictures of the actual horses up on the examiner.com site. Says the pictures are from the rescue that currently has the horses.

This mare is VERY skinny, no excuse skinny. If the mare has physical problems that prevented weight gain, and the owner could not afford vet treatment, the horse should have been put down. She had been given a FORMAL WARNING about the condition of her horses. How many of you have received formal warnings from law enforcement regarding the condition of your horses?!?!

As some one else said, there is poor, and then there is poor.

I am too poor to show at all these days. Wouldn't even dream of trying to pay for an event. But my horse is WELL fed, fat and happy.

Going to a show (even if she wasn't showing herself, just the gas to drive there!!) while your retiree starves... is just F'ed Up!! (or is some one else paying for her to go to the show ala Pinto Piaffe?)

Victim here is the horses, not this dressage trainer!

Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

http://snarkyrider.wordpress.com/tag...-horse-rescue/

and it gets better now with a solicitation for money. just call me cynical

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Nope, crossed my mind also, sad.

Default Really hope this isn't true... Dressage Olympian facing neglect charges?

http://www.examiner.com/horses-in-sa...ty-and-neglect

It's looking like it's true and if so I'm very sad to hear that one of our Olympic riders representing our sport could allow horses to get to this condition. Inexcusable. Does anyone have any more information on this?

ETA: The trainer/rider is Gwen Stockebrand. http://fuglyblog.com/
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

PP's horses didn't have a body score of 1 and 3.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post

Tamara

From the snarkyrider blog...
    "Lost Hearts and Souls Horse Rescue has been around for awhile, but only recently applied for (and received!) its 501.C3 Non-Profit status. If you live in Sonoma County, on October 30th they will be holding their first annual fundraiser Hooves, Hearts and Heroes, with a BBQ, wine tastings, silent auction and more. Let’s help them make the rest of these two mares’ lives as happy and healthful as possible!"

Uhm that's hardly a case of the rescue whoring out the two horses for donations. Gees!

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    OT, but both these papers are respected. The Examiner is put together tabloid-style (but not a tabloid) and focuses more on local news.

In any case, a 1 is a 1 is a 1.
    The Examiner is no longer a "respected" paper in the Bay Are and hasn't been for some time. While it doesn't sink to the level of a "tabloid" (i.e., sensationalism), it's marginal. I mean, they GIVE it away.

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    I dont want to start a mosh-pit, but if it is true she then traveled to a dressage show after dropping them off, makes me question the finances-as-reason bit. Even if she wasn't showing herself, I would spend my last dollar on my horses before letting them get into bad condition. I would not be traveling anywhere--Id be too busy freaking out about my animals. There is poor--then there's poor. Poor enough not to be able to feed, and poor enough to not be able to go compete.
    Well, FWIW, I saw her with two horses at a recent show (June), and even if she were going to a show in Vegas, it may have been her clients who were picking all the costs and expenses for her to show their horses. Not making any excuses, just noting what appeared to be the case at the show where I saw her: Showing other people's horses as the trainer, at owner's expense. While I haven't kept track of her in recent years, due some some of the "other issues" people alluded to, etc., I think money may, indeed, be a factor, though not an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTB View Post
    From the snarkyrider blog...
    "Lost Hearts and Souls Horse Rescue has been around for awhile, but only recently applied for (and received!) its 501.C3 Non-Profit status. If you live in Sonoma County, on October 30th they will be holding their first annual fundraiser Hooves, Hearts and Heroes, with a BBQ, wine tastings, silent auction and more. Let’s help them make the rest of these two mares’ lives as happy and healthful as possible!"

Uhm that's hardly a case of the rescue whoring out the two horses for donations. Gees!

you don't find it convenient that they ask for someone to publish the name of a big name Olympian dumping horses@ Examiner.com and to tell everyone they have said horses 10 days before a big/first fund raiser ?

if it were two dinks from po dunkus and Billy Joe Bob Jr owned them not a soul on this board or any other would give a green rats behind. not one. No one would republish a story that animal control has not even commented on, no one

Tamara

There is already a post on this in the Off-Course Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Suck it up, buttercup. Horses spook. Sometimes they spook to the point of losing the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    PP's horses didn't have a body score of 1 and 3.
    I think the reference was to things not always being what they seem, not that the horses may or not have been skinny.

Remember, as of now, this is speculation, the facts skimpy, just as it is/was in the named previous case.

I consider these stories at first to be a warning to others that may be close to being there, if the stories end up being as told or different in the end.

We actually spoke to Betsy Bueno of Lost Hearts & Souls Horse Rescue yesterday and she confirmed that the horses did belong to Gwen Stockebrand and one of the horses was even a former competition mount!

Valerie, bay horse approximately 28 years old, has a body score of 1 and has medical complications caused by starvation/malnourishment - she's unfortunately not out of the woods yet. Sister, black horse in her early 20's, has a body score of 3 and is faring better than Valerie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post

Tamara
    Just a little clarification. We (SnarkyRiderBlog) are not associated with Lost Hearts and Souls Horse Rescue.

While researching the post we discovered the upcoming fundraiser - which was planned long before this whole saga. Since Betsy was very helpful as far as providing info and photos, we chose to link to the poster for her fundraiser. That's all.

FWIW, was she ever actually on an Olympic team? Pan American team medals with Bao, I know. Championship shows in Europe, also. But Olympics? (not that this is relevant to horse care, just wondered). She may well have been on an Olympic Team, I just don't remember for certain. A wasted talent.

That is so sad and so disheartening. I hope they can help those two poor poor babies. I have no idea how a rider can get to Olympic levels and manage to let a horse deteriorate to this condition. It's beyond me.

I didn't see the other thread. I'll go take a look. Just in total shock over those pictures. Ugh.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."