The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

I would think before anyone could credibly comment on the mare's eating habits that a current photo showing any weight gain, or lack thereof, would be necessary.
    Last edited by alicen; Mar. 6, 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Now this is getting circular. Isn't this the outfit that tossed the first stone?
    Clare Long wrote the first inflammatory article with a Google credited photo depicting a BC1 horse. It was not Gwen's horse.It was in far worse condition than later photos of Gwen's horses.

Clare's original story named Gwen. That story was quickly replaced by edited article that did not name Gwen. No mention of original article being pulled or edited or that orig Google photo removed. The story was rapidly picked up and reprinted by many other sites and discussed on many forums. Most were not interested in answers to questions Clare did not address nor timelines.

Clare said in later article that she wrote the story at the request of Betsy Bueno of "Lost Hearts and Souls Horse Rescue". Isn't that curious?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Sometimes horses have more sense than people - not eating more than their old bodies can support the weight of. Their lives are winding down, and they just don't need to be fat anymore. They need to be comfortable.

THIS.

So, one question: are there legit before and after pictures of the horse available?

at this point i am really curious about valerie. i know the vets examined her but even they are saying that not enough info is available about her.

i sincerely hope, that no matter which way this goes, that justice is served.

If GS maltreated her horse OR if there was a smear campaign then i hope those folks are sued harshly.

why? because any of us could be attacked in such a manner on the net.

oh, and i know i mentioned this before, but i think this kind of case has ramifications far beyond this specific case. i.e. retirement facilities will need to take note of this case and adjust their protocols accordingly.

why do humans want to "protect" animals from the very natural things called dying? (and my guess is this will be the very kernel of this case and what weems meant about "policy disagreements"

We also need to realize that vets are human too, and have their own preferences to good weight on an animal. There is a vet in my area whose own horses are extremely obese, some to the point of being in pain to walk. That vet is very upset if she can see any rib at all.

All animal people, vets included have a background that influences their opinions. Coming from halter QH showing, one body type attracts them, and anything less is emaciated. Hunter showing & race breeding - usually, still pretty heavy, but nothing like the halter QHs. Along those lnes, dressage riders/breeders a bit lighter. Eventers, lighter still. <in general>

I have seen each type of vet give a 5 for, IMO , a totally different level of fat. Horses lose weight in different places too. Some drop 5 lbs and totally lose their toplines, but fat over the ribs. Some the opposite is true, with ribs poking out, but lots of fat on their topline. People, and many vets do not know how to use the B/S system.

Old horses really drop off their spine, and NO very old horse should have to carry around the weight to make that look pretty.

Despite all the old-horse narratives, the question still remains: Did the horse gain weight when in the care of someone other than GS?

Default Here is the catch to this question...

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Despite all the old-horse narratives, the question still remains: Did the horse gain weight when in the care of someone other than GS?
    The horses were OUT OF HER CARE for at least 3 weeks according to whoever was at the court hearings and listened to testamony there... So how can you even judge that, they may have been better before they left....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

fwiw, i don't think the question should be "did they gain weight elsewhere" but "did Stockebrand care for them humanely"

otherwise that would be a very slippery slope, don't you think?

Looks like charges may be thrown out.

http://da.sonoma-county.org/victim_w...235&cci=550158

I wonder if Stockebrand will pursue a civil case (libel) now?

i think if i were her, and it is thrown out - i would ask for her accusers to spread the word about this as far and wide and as vigorously as they accused her.

i honestly got several emails from folks i dont know telling me about how terrible she is to of done this! i couldn't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i think if i were her, and it is thrown out - i would ask for her accusers to spread the word about this as far and wide and as vigorously as they accused her.
    I think Coth forums do a pretty good job of this.

I'm with you, mbm. I think I am going to practice my own form of disdain for RateMyHorsePro who used this to try to take someone down to get attention for themselves. I see this as a really bad business practice, and I think I would not want to do business with someone who does this sort of thing.

RateMyHorsePro--You came in here to trash someone's reputation to get attention, are you going to apologize and try to do right?

Edited to add--I just went back to look for RateMyHorsePros' posts about this, and they are gone. Hmm.

Hope someone screencaptured the Rate-My-Horse Pro posts on this issue. IF GS is completely vindicated, I'm sure she'd like to have them for ammunition in any potential suit.

I have a question: It says that reason for the upcoming court date is "to Quash" does this mean the lawyers will be asking to have the charges thrown out?

i assume that means they may not be?

what is the normal procedure and end result of this kind of court date?

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I'm with you, mbm. I think I am going to practice my own form of disdain for RateMyHorsePro who used this to try to take someone down to get attention for themselves. I see this as a really bad business practice, and I think I would not want to do business with someone who does this sort of thing.

RateMyHorsePro--You came in here to trash someone's reputation to get attention, are you going to apologize and try to do right?

Edited to add--I just went back to look for RateMyHorsePros' posts about this, and they are gone. Hmm.
    http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/j...elty-case.aspx
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I hate to defend RMHP because their sensationalism about unproven cases bothers me a lot (I'm all for publicizing guilty verdicts, but there are enough cases with questions raised where RMHP publicizes it like the accused is definitely guilty beyond a reasonable doubt that bother me), but their latest article on the Stockebrand case is fair. I'd call them poor journalists since they didn't seem to fact-check or do any significant research in their earlier articles, but they probably aren't committing libel from my understanding of the term--just parroting accusations others made publicly. It still is more than enough to make me not want to patronize that site, though.

Yeah, I don't like their original article ON their website, but I could agree that might not be a problem since they did kind of report the update on THEIR website. (I don't see in any of the articles where they mentioned there was a three week period between when the horse left her and arrived at the "rescue." Am I missing that?)

I DO have a problem with a couple of people clearly from their website, one with the name RateMyHorsePro coming in here in several of the forums, and who knows where else, to sensationalize the story and "spread the word."

Again, I'm also wondering how those posts on this thread and the other one in Horse Care, I think, disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Yeah, I don't like their original article ON their website, but I could agree that might not be a problem since they did kind of report the update on THEIR website. (I don't see in any of the articles where they mentioned there was a three week period between when the horse left her and arrived at the "rescue." Am I missing that?)

I DO have a problem with a couple of people clearly from their website, one with the name RateMyHorsePro coming in here in several of the forums, and who knows where else, to sensationalize the story and "spread the word."

Again, I'm also wondering how those posts on this thread and the other one in Horse Care, I think, disappeared.
    If you're missing the alleged 3-week discrepancy, so am I. I have not seen that mentioned. My post was purely about this latest article.

I also have a problem with disappearing posts. I'm a journalist (sort of--I wouldn't call myself that normally, but I do some freelance writing on current events, so I think it fits to a degree--at the very least I've taken a college course on journalistic ethics ) and IMO you should never erase your words. If you're wrong, you print an apology/correction. If you think the court verdict is wrong, you establish that with verifiable (even if inadmissable--there is a gray area there) evidence. Mistakes happen to the best of us. However, you can't just print whatever you want, promote it officially, and then erase it if you later find out you're wrong. Or rather, you can, but you can't retain credibility. If you hold yourself out as a professional news outlet as RMHP does, you are held to a different standard than a personal post would be, and that is a good thing IMO.