The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What would make a 22yo gelding act like a moody mare?

My gelding the past two weeks has been acting like a crazy mare, squealing at everything, pissy etc. He usually very laid back. We think this contributed to him hurting his leg as he is usually pretty mello in turn out and got hurt on a fence while in a nice irrigated grass pasture kicking out and squealing. I'm going to call my vet, but it is a strange problem, so I thought I'd ask here. Do you think something in his belly hurts? He's very strange about peeing and I've always wondered if he had a kidney issue- but have run labs on his pee and never found anything (he pees when he sees you or when you halter him in the pasture and it takes a while for him to get set up exactly how he wants to pee.) If he doesn't do it then he pees when you enter the ring before you get on. I've also gotten off him before while schooling cross country since I could tell he wanted to pee, but wasn't doing it and he would pee when I got off. (This was three years ago though, so not directly related to the current issue.)

Any thoughts?

Pain? Something hurts when he pees/you needed to get off, back maybe? He is older, maybe vet will want to run some bloodwork to check that all systems are functioning properly. Wow, that sounded Star trek like lol. I would definitely call the vet since it seems so out of character.

All of that happened three years ago (I was just explaining why I have always had a gut feeling there was something with his kidneys.) I've had his pee and blood run two or three times in the 7 years I've owned him and they could never find anything. I don't really ride him much anymore.

The big thing is that in the past two weeks he has been squealing and and kicking out etc. according to the BO acting like a mare in heat. Any idea what could cause a 22 yo gelding to start acting like that? Should I be concerned? It's not normal behavior for him.

Bean?

Needs his equipment cleaned?

When I bring in my endurance horses when they see me with a halter they all pee, then trot fast to me doing the arab head toss thing. They know they are going somewhere to do something, maybe. They could just be going in the barn, but regardless they pee first.

If this one is 22 years old, you have owned him for 7 years and he has never behaved like this before???

I'm thinking you need to call the vet. More sooner then later. Something is up.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

The vet is coming tomorrow to check him out. I'm just looking for some brainstorming ideas we can look into.

Well, the gut is a likely place to start looking but I would go ahead and ante up for a full blood panel. See how things are working and what may not be.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Let us know, inquiring minds care and wanna know.

Good thing on the vet.

Now we have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

sigh.

Please post details of vet visit when you can. Ok, like after vet leaves.

:+P

He did move into a stall with a mare two down from him and his best friend in the middle about six weeks ago, so there is a theory he is just lovesick. He usually lives outside in a paddock with a shed at night with his two buddies, but they had a few openings at the barn and the bugs were bad so the BO has been putting them in at night since there were two empty stalls. I wouldn't think that would impact his behavior in the pasture during the day though since nothing has changed there.

My vet knows him pretty well though and is pretty in tune with his personality- so I'll see what he says.

Just a quick update. The vet thought he looked good and thought it was his positioning relative to the mares that was causing his behavior. We moved him to the all gelding side of the barn and are keeping an eye on him.

The vet thought his leg wound looked great and will be back in 8-10 days to check that and see how he's doing with the moodiness after moving. I hope this works!