The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Default First show in 3 yrs and horse's first show ever open for any critique :-)

So while my horse has been off the last year recovering from a DDFT tear I have been riding / working with one of the trainer's horses. I finally got brave enough to decide to show this month and took the little guy. This was his first show ever and only his 2nd time even off the farm.

We only did beginner horse and long stirrup since he doesn't have his changes yet, We did get reserve champion in our long stirrup class though.

So I was feeling like my self esteem was doing a bit too well and like a glutton for punishment so I decided to post one of our trips for any critiques.

I did go for the adds in the lines so I could have him in my hands and keep him consistent, ( he used to have the tendency to really rush fences. ) Plus he really doesn't have the longest stride in the world and we are really working on lengthening vs going faster

Anyway always open to another set of fresh eyes and helpful hints .

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyashi.../4/UcK6JzdnQso
    Last edited by horse-loverz; Sep. 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

PINTO HORSE! No critique here, good job for getting the job done!

Thank you Tidy!
    ';;;;;;; clique

Very cute. And I like the big smile at the end. The only thing I'd change? The videographer! haha. Just kidding. It was a bit bouncy, though. ;-)

I think I recognize that arena!

I think you guys look great and I love the pony's coloring. (And I am NOT a paint fan.)

Thank you for posting that...it's just about textbook for riding a very green horse over itty bitty fences.

Your position is suitable for...er....surprises, strong and secure. And he does not need any exaggerated releases or neck riding to step over these things.

Adds are actually a preferred choice over itty bitty jumps where there is no actual jump. Wish more understood that as they bring these babies along. The adds will teach him to be patient, wait and get to the base...and, also, let him learn to chip-and we want them to know to do that as opposed to leaving things out and launching themsleves-or stopping. This one looks like he does not have a ton of step anyway, he will need some help opening up but that is in the future.

Ehhhhh...the lead changes. Don't worry about them and good for you that you kept going at this point in his training. I do think you can start to let go a little on landing and add leg to flow a little more around the corners, that will help. He is a little stuck and more speed will help. But this is a little ring and there is not alot of room so GOOD JOB.

Now you can build on that positive experience.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Very nice!!

Teeny idea: You could reward yourself for a job well done with a show pad that's a little more fitted to the saddle.

Not OPs horse, belongs to her trainer and I get the idea it's a free ride for her, may not even be her saddle. What she has is not inappropriate for a Baby class at a local show, no need to go buy anything.

I thought OP was well turned out for this type show and class with that nice shirt tucked in and everything clean.

Yeah didn't realize the pad was going to be so LARGE till it was too late. Should have checked closer beforehand LOL
    ';;;;;;; clique

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    Yeah didn't realize the pad was going to be so LARGE till it was too late. Should have checked closer beforehand LOL

Congrats again!

Would like to ditto what F8 said, too. * it's just about textbook for riding a very green horse over itty bitty fences.*

Thank you! I will say the year my horse has been off has been good and bad at the same time. Bad because he was off but good because my trainer and some of the lovely ladies at my barn have allowed me to ride several different horses a couple of them schoolmaster types that really helped me work on my position. I was proud of the little guy he took it all in stride and I was proud of myself because , despite the fences being small, I felt like I really RODE him through the course, not just being a passenger and hoping for the best. And he was such a good boy.

A year ago he would charge every fence with his head up in the air like a giraffe and had was a bear to try to make slow down and WAIT for the spot. So definite progress on his part.

Thanks for the kind commends Findeight I appreciate it!
    ';;;;;;; clique

Cute horse. What is the long stirrup division?

another 2' division.. Adult beginner type class
    ';;;;;;; clique

Cute.

If you were my student this is what I would suggest:

First, it appears your stirrups are a hole too long but it's hard to tell b/c the camera is jumping around so much. I just thought in the first frame that your knee angle seemed a little too open.

Second, while you don't have to give a release over teeny tiny jumps; you DO want your hand to be steady. It seems a little "busy" at times (especially noticed it over the broken line coming home). This coupled with a little too much movement in your body has the effect of making the ride look jarring, for lack of a better word. I'd have you close your leg more and sit more still while applying steady contact with your hand to achieve the add. Closing your leg will also help you stay with your horse as you appear to get slightly left behind a few times. However, since this is his 2nd time off the farm - it probably wouldn't make a difference

As for the changes, even with my babies I NEVER let them cross canter around the corner. If I can't skip the change, than I do a simple. No sense in presenting them to a jump unbalanced when they are just learning. Whoever said more pace for the change was right - your guy seems like he could almost get it if he was moving forward properly...and more inside leg. You can see him cantering through a few turns with his shoulder punched in - he needs to be AROUND your inside leg for the change.

Since he's learning and tends to get quick, I understand the desire to keep him slower but if you can't get him back on time after allowing him the proper amount of pace for the change; a better option would be to circle, get the change completely, get your canter soft & flexible again and then continue on.

Again, all hard things to apply since this is only his 2nd time off the farm...I'm merely suggesting how I would ride him as he progresses.

Also, a little advice as far as adding goes - it can definitely be overdone & since this horse is short-strided already, I'd be starting to look for different ways to stop him from rushing. There are tons of good exercises that really set a horse up without the rider continually having to hang on their mouth or keep them on a 10 foot stride.

Good luck!
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Such a cute pinto! You both look good.

Well, it's 50/50 on the leads in this kind of situation.

On the one hand we'd prefer not to continue unless we got the leads straightened out with no cross cantering. In a perfect world.

On the other hand, sometimes just getting them around at a halfway steady pace is a victory...and some of them can learn to "change the subject"-every time they screw up the lead, they don't have to go right to the jump. Have to go careful they learn what we teach and not something else out of the same lesson, circle once too often and you won't like what they learn.

Remember continuing on a wrong lead or cross canter scores better then breaking gait-not that a score is an issue with one this green but that is part of the logic behind it.

For this type horse in this type situation, not the OPs, probably subject to on again off again training sessions if and when trainer has time (and trainers never have time for their own project horses) plus now learning he was awful last year and has learned alot?

I think that going on was the best choice. Plus, dropping to a trot or circling is not going to help him open up that step and that is his biggest problem at this point.

In the beginner horse class I did trot and do a simple change because it was allowed, in this class it was not allowed and trainer told me to just go with what I had. I did try to concentrate on asking for the lead over the jump which worked for most of them but not all. I was impressed he even tried a half change, since he usually doesn't try for that. Riding him he is so balanced it's hard to tell when he's on the wrong one, it certainly doesn't matter to him . At home we are making progress on opening his stride more I just didn't want every line to end up with a "hail mary" at the end because consistency isn't there yet. .

All are good points and he is still a work in progress that is for sure.
    ';;;;;;; clique

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

You are a braver person than I. Earlier this year I took my green bean in his first o/f classes when I had been out of the show ring since 2008. No way in hell would I show random strangers those trips!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    You are a braver person than I. Earlier this year I took my green bean in his first o/f classes when I had been out of the show ring since 2008. No way in hell would I show random strangers those trips!
    Haha...too true.

Quote Originally Posted by Czar View Post
    Cute.
    First, it appears your stirrups are a hole too long but it's hard to tell b/c the camera is jumping around so much. I just thought in the first frame that your knee angle seemed a little too open.
    I think the stirrups might be a tad too long, but that the OP is also shoving her foot out in front of her, which is taking the angle out of her knee as well. The heel needs to come back in line with the hip, which will put more angle in the leg.

Other than that, I think it was a pretty nice ride on a youngster. Personally, I would do the simple changes even if they weren't allowed in the class, but if it's your trainer's horse and she tells you not to, well, what can you do?

I bet once he gets a little straighter and a little more forward, the changes will come easily. He already wants to, but he's diving into the turns so badly, that he's not going to get the change. until he can stay straight and out (which means he needs to be ridden that way), the hind end isnt' going to cooperate.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Rug Bug you caught one of my worst vices. I am constantly pulling my leg back to where it " should" be It is worse the more "tense" I get . We will work on the pace and the straight. My guy is just now starting u/s rehab so I got time to work with this fella some more
    ';;;;;;; clique