The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The things that come across Facebook...call the vet PLEASE

This just popped up on my news feed...

"horse friends- what causes a fever of 101.9, labored breathing, trouble walking (with whole backend) and slight shivers? can a rear leg issue cause all of this?"

I, of course, responded that the vet was needed, and asked what the rear leg issue was as other people chimed in with their medical diagnosis.

"she's just favoring one leg over the other so i'm wondering if any new issue could cause the labored breathing and fever- but the fever tells me infection of some sort. "

I just again repeated that the vet needed to be called ASAP.

Yikes, trying to diagnose via facebook? I can see looking for advice on general stuff, not what sounds like a emergency. Who takes the time to post during something like that?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

The same people who post similar stuff here.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Call the vet! I bet they can tell you!
    I hate it when folks do stuff like that.

Also, those symptoms remind me a bit of tying up sickness I think it's called. Working horses (thinks drafts) get it after being worked hard for 5 or 6 days then put up for 2 and fed the same. But then again I'm not a vet and simply read a lot.

Yea, except the horse hasn't been worked at all, because the other "vets" asked. There hasn't been any updates? Of course I'm worried, because I let myself get invested in these train wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    The same people who post similar stuff here.
    Ok, that's funny!

To be fair, I've posted here about an emergency while I was waiting for the vet to arrive. It was when my little mule died, and his symptoms seemed very unusual for colic to me so I was wondering if it was something else. There was nothing else for me to do (didn't think walking him was appropriate, he seemed to want to be left alone) so I just moved him to a quiet stall and sat outside where I could see him but used my laptop to ask COTH about possibilities to discuss with my vet.

Maybe this lady is like me and just has a limited number of vets/one that takes awhile to get there, so is using facebook to help her think things through and not feel useless. I can hope, right?

ETA hopefully that made sense...I just got stung by 3 bees and got a super dose of Benadryl to hopefully stave off the kind of nasty reaction I usually get (especially since the stings were all on my head and face ) and am thinking maybe I shouldn't have posted because words aren't making too much sense to me right now.