The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boots (horse, that is) for Hunting

I have a young horse who unfortunately is already sporting rather large splints on both front legs. I've been hunting him in "breathable" Woof Boots (the five-strap variety) and unfortunately this has led to a skin issue. I'd love to try sheepskin, but we cross water and marshy areas. Any suggestions? Leather open-fronts maybe?

Premiers, ecogolds? There are a couple threads over on the eventing board about non neoprene boots. I would never use sheepskin as it will absorb way too much water. My mare goes everyday in a pair of NEW Aerowear brushing boots and she loves them!

You believe that wearing boots will stop outside splints appearing? Or you believe that the existing splints will get bigger without boots?

Is there any evidence that any type of boot will cosmetically help old splints or prevent new splints.

Thank you kkindley. The Ecogold XC boots look promising. I'm quite tempted.

Tangledweb, I am hunting a young horse over difficult terrain. His splints are quite large. I want to prevent impact to the splints either through him knocking them, or the splints coming into contact with branches and rocks. That's all.

I have used Woof ankle boots without any issues, and we have lots of wet areas, but have never used the front boots. As another said, definitely stay away from sheepskin -- they will completely saturate and cause even worse skin problems than you already have. The Ecogold XC boots look like your best bet, for sure.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

You're better off nekkid.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I always have my horses go nekkid...however, my tried and true hunter whacked an old splint during turn out (outside of leg) and is finally sound after 5 weeks. UGH. I've had him for 6 years and never an issue. So i've been thinking of getting him front boots as I worry about him whacking it again...so, while I like the going nekkid..I'm considering boots.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Check out the Premiere Equine brushing boots:

http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acata...ing_Boots.html

You'll likely have to order them directly from PE. The shipping cost will make you choke, but you get them very fast.

Be sure to ask for actual measurements of the boots.

Thanks everyone. I would love to have my horse go bootless (my other horse does), and if I can't find workable boots I will, but for now I'm going to try the EcoGold X-country boots. I like that I can try them for 30 days and return them if they don't work out. Hopefully they will fill the bill. If not, I will look into the PE.