The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolfe001 View Post
    I'm envisioning an unlikely but potentially hilarious situation in which an L judge had really only ridden as far as 2nd and then found themselves in a situation where they're judging grand prix. Like, what if the person wasn't familiar with all the upper level movements? Do they teach "when in doubt, score a 6" in judge school?
    I had that situation last year, showing 4th level under a brand new L who had only shown through 2nd level. It was OK - I figure anyone who is at a schooling show and showing above 2nd level should know what they are doing! I was simply trying to get my horse out - he has show-phobia The L came up to me at the lunch break and apologized that she really didn't feel qualified to judge us - and I reassured her that we were there to get him in a show ring, I signed up for a schooling show, I knew what I was getting in to!

I am an L Grad, and do judge an ocassional upper level ride, above the level I've ridden including GP rides. It is OK, its a SCHOOLING show. Although I do have a good eye and have done enough education to have a pretty workable knowledge of what good (and not so good) FEI work looks like.

Just because a person hasn't shown through a level doesn't mean they don't have the eye to judge it. There are several higher level judges that were promoted into judging ranks before USEF and USDF started their training programs and judging criteria. Some of those judges did NOT show at the higher levels (I can think of a few S/I/O judges who haven't shown above 2nd level).

Interestingly, under the current judging criteria, an r and R judge must be showing above the level they will judge, while and S judge is not required to have GP scores. Go figure.

BTW, a good rider or good trainer does not necessarily mean a good judge. The skill sets are quite different - judging is based on a good eye, a good succinct vocabulary, and a quick reaction between eye and vocabulary. Riding/training is much more about feel and physical ability. Going through the L program, we saw some great trainers and riders struggle with the process of judging.

Just wanted to add that scribing for an L candidate is an awesome way to get the education without having to join the program. Auditors are allowed in the first three sessions, but to listen to D and E you must be scribing for a candidate. While you are not allowed to ask questions, of course you and your candidate can discuss things over dinner!
    I have scribed three times for candidates, and I must say it gave me great insight into the judging process....... and just how the scores are arrived at. (pardon the grammar)

1 members found this post helpful.

I have shown my horse in FEI tests at schooling shows under L program grads. I do not have a problem with that. I ride those tests at schooling shows to help me gain experience and give my horse a low key opportunity to school the tests in front of spectators and a judge.

What the score ends up being to me is not important. I know most of the L program grads in our area. I certainly respect what they have done. I usually ask permission of the show organizer before attempting to ride such a test. I request they ask the L program grad if it is ok with them. No sense in causing anyone any angst just to school.

MysticOakRanch - I am getting ready to apply for my S and I absolutely need to have my Grand Prix scores - as does every S candidate in recent memory. In the old days, you could have trained a rider to that level without having ridden yourself, but that has not been the case for many years. (I believe it changed at the same time it was changed for R and r candidates)

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    MysticOakRanch - I am getting ready to apply for my S and I absolutely need to have my Grand Prix scores - as does every S candidate in recent memory. In the old days, you could have trained a rider to that level without having ridden yourself, but that has not been the case for many years. (I believe it changed at the same time it was changed for R and r candidates)
    I think it's a more recent change - talking to another S judge, she only needed Intermediare scores (a few years ago). Yeah, you're right, I went and checked, USEF did change the requirement to 60% from a combo of Intermediare and GP. Sorry Dot - I was going on info from a few years back.

I wish they'd drop the requirements to 60% for the R and r program, would make it much more doable for those of us in the crazy competitive areas (like Cali-fancy-fornia).

Good luck on your S application!