The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    I am planning on auditing at least one day of every Jeremy Steinberg clinic in the area, and I'm (hopefully) going to the Alfredo Hernandez clinic in a few weeks.
    I am afraid of sounding like a zealot when I encourage people to see Jeremy Steinberg every chance they get! Sounds like you already know he's great.

I get sick of trainers having every rider do the same thing or trying to squish every horse into the same identical program. It's refreshing to go to one of Jeremy's clinics and listen to different advice for each horse, along with explanations of why what he's saying for that specific horse is what will work. The emphasis on teaching, rather than directing, is something for which few people have such talent.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I thinking about taking my gelding (Friday) to do groundwork with Alfredo. I was going to audit, but my trainer suggested taking my Friday out. I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough with where we are under saddle to ride in a clinic, but he long lines like a dream (and is beyond forgiving while trying his heart out), and I'd love to learn some new skills in long lining to break things up.

BTW, here's a couple pictures of Friday at Scottsdale last year (before I bought him): https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...44965251_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...90700168_n.jpg

We're moving him from the breed ring to dressage, and it's been interesting, lol. He's a great confidence builder for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    We're moving him from the breed ring to dressage, and it's been interesting, lol. He's a great confidence builder for me.
    That's so important, and so underestimated!

You can learn how to teach him to work more correctly, but if you aren't confident in working with your horse, you can't learn much of anything.

Good luck, and please let us know if you ride or what you observe from auditing!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quick update:

Mare is now lunging with a saddle. She didn't even react to adding the saddle to her routine. Ground manners are now installed (although we do still have occasional green horse moments, such as tractors). We're looking at getting her a stall at a couple shows this summer, just to give her a chance to look it over and get a feel for the environment. One of the local shows has some draft/draft cross halter classes, so once she has the environment figured out we'll try those.

Photos?
    Video?

well done!

I'm having a camera phobe issue I have lost 20, but I still am crazy terrified of being caught on camera, lol. I'll try to get some.

Wow, Sipsi - Jackpot is gorgeous - and he & get can for SURE get over a fence!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Mare is getting started under saddle next month. I am having a really hard time believing that we've finally got her solid on the ground. The BO added a turnout, so she's on a regular turnout rotation, and that has made a world of difference.

I do have a question, though. How on earth do you get to where you can ignore the DQ's? I know that there are a lot of great people in dressage, but holy crap, I'm done with hearing about how showing in a colored coat indicates that I'm more worried about fashion than my ride and that I shouldn't bother compete on the Arab circuit just for meaningless ribbons (including commentary about the Arab circuit being the white trash circuit). I was absolutely speechless. Add in comments about the disciplines my husband and kid favor, and I'm ready to take a dressage whip to the tushes of some DQs, while holding a dressage foam finger in the other hand.

Yes, I like ribbons. Yup, if I can find a way to do it, I'm rocking a colored coat with gray breeches. My husband wants a reiner or cutter. My oldest son wants a saddleseat horse. My youngest wants a western pleasure horse (complete with long tail). GET OVER IT. I'm just happy that my family can all enjoy horses, even if everyone has different tastes in what they want to do. The breed circuit is a way we can all show together. What is there to criticize about that? Oh, and the Arab show crew at this barn utterly ROCKS.

I'm trying to ignore the DQ's, and be courteous if I can't politely ignore them, but I am about ready to light off on some of them. It really is the bad few who spoil it for a lot of people.

Smile,nod and carry on however you want to!
    mm

Let 'em talk! Smile and say "Bless Your Heart". Enjoy your family and your horses. After all, living well is the best revenge!

My favorite word in the world ... "So."

My grandmother would always say it whenever arguing and I would get soooo angry but now in my adult life I find myself using it quite often

"Youre wearing a colored jacket? Nobody does that!"

Shrug, "So."

People usually look like a trout on land after that. Ummmmm
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

My grandmother would always say it whenever arguing and I would get soooo angry but now in my adult life I find myself using it quite often

Shrug, "So."

This is some of the best advice I've ever read -- anywhere. Another way to accomplish the same effect with one word is "And...?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

Shrug, "So."

I am sooooooooo using this! Thanks!

Hahahaha! When I started riding dressage my old BO said I had to ride in fullseats because "everyone else does". I said "I don't care what everyone else does... I hate them!"
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

It's kind of hilarious really... here in Utah I could probably count on my fingers the number of people who actually have the dressage chops to legitimately express an opinion on what anyone else chooses to do (and I am most decidedly not one of them!)--and they tend to be the ones who don't.

So I would just give them an amused look and move on...

LOL I used to get SOOOOO mad. She is a smart lady Wise like NONE other. She doesnt argue with stupid people...

Im learning... Long road but learning LOL

Another one is, "That doesnt sound like me."

Example:

"But if you wear a colored jacked they will think you are more interested in fashion!"

Thoughtful look, "Hmm. That doesnt sound like me." And then just go on with what your doing.

Bwahhaah what do you say that that? NOTHING THATS WHAT! LOL

Oh, I have a bag of them!

You see I learn them from people who are tired of me trying to argue with them. I start out very angry, but later Im like that clever witch! LOL (not my grandma other people)
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

I have to laugh about the remarks made to you about the Arab circuit. I don't know where you live, but in my part of the country, those Arab shows are really competitive.

What you don't have at an Arab show (usually) is someone in the warm-up area that thinks they are the only person in the ring. Add to that, these open dressage folk who think that anything going on around them while they are riding a test, is an excuse as to why they could not get their horse past the flowers. I'd like to see a few of them ride a hunter class with 20+ horses doing the hand gallop. That would put some hair on their chests! Those Arab dressage horses are frequently cross-entered in hunter or show hack. Can you see some of these open dressage horses doing all that?

Most dressagies around here are nice. There are a few snobbies. I did have some weird looks taking my Morgan appendix cross to a t rated show but when he did well and beat some of them I started getting oh he is so pretty and is so nice. Lol. I'm going to love to see the looks when I take my stocky apha to usdf shows lol. Should get some good looks but when he moves he believes he is a mini warmblood lol.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

You might be interested in reading about Heather Caudill, a trainer here in Central Florida. She shows Gypsies. http://www.gypsyhorsejournal.com/?q=...-english-style
    Apologies if this has been posted.
    Looking forward to your updates!

Honestly, you can go to a dressage show in Utah and see every breed, shape and size of horse, with their owners all having a good time and supporting each other--I've really never encountered any breed snobbery, and I ride a very unconventional horse.

Our dressage group ran our first recognised show yesterday--we had 69 rides in total, running the full gamut from intro to GP, with entirely respectable scores, and I'd say there were fewer warmbloods than assorted stock horse breeds, TBs, ponies, and some very nice Arabs qualifying for Arabian Sport Horse Nationals (which will be just up the road in Boise this September.)

So, come join the fun, we'll be happy to welcome you.