The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Where photos?????????

Do take a ton of photos & video to chronicle your journey

Yes! Photos! I admitted on a thread late last night that I like looking at Gypsy Vanners, and I think they're pretty. Let's see her!

Here we go:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...6&l=4275f08cc3
    We had the "ooooooooh, shiny!" syndrome going on, and getting her to stand square and solid was turning out to be rather difficult, so please forgive me for not having her standing perfectly. We are trying to keep her as clean as possible, lol, but baths are not happening at this point. We're getting dental work done next month, so I'm debating bathing her while she's sedated just to get it done.

ETA: Would anyone mind if I turned this post into a running blog about our progress? It seems it would be easier to do that than create a gazillion spinoff posts. My husband always loves an excuse to play with his camera, so we're going to have plenty of pics as we go. Sounds like we need a video camera too And a second horse just became a real possibility. This week is starting to look up.

She is adorable! I would love to follow your progress.

Drum horses are my new favorite - I want one!

Here are a few before/after of my adorable yet not very talented mare. Some cross of sorts (we're guessing Clyde/hackney.....her show name this year was Princess Big Ears-started as a joke and then stuck)......and is safe and is pretty much game to try anything. She hauled my fat ass around our local event and earned a well deserved 2nd. And wasn't last after dressage even though her canter still needs a lot of work.

She really isn't built to be a "dressage" horse if "dressage" means all the fancy high end movements. She is getting better at "dressage" if "dressage" means training as per wikipedia. And personally, which I criticize her myself for not being athletic and wish it wasn't so hard for us, everyone I know says she's lovely, and if anybody said anything derogatory towards her in front of me I'd defend her quite loudly. I sense you're going to be doing the same.

In summary, if you like your horse you like your horse. You would only be an idiot if you got rid of her.

Before

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...73675243&saved

After 1 year.......

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

So yours is going to look fantastic!
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Just enjoy your horse! You spend X amount of money a month to just feed and house her - enjoy every moment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Awwwe, she looks like a cuddlebug. I can't wait to see more pics as you go, and would love to see your updates on this thread.

Regarding the last item in your update, about getting a second horse, may I suggest waiting? This is all very new and I'd personally suggest enjoying the one you just bought very much and going through a bit of your horsey journey with just her for now, then in a year or two when you really know exactly what you might want out of a second horse, looking for one then.

From the picture I think there's a lot to like, in terms of her breeding. I'd be interested to see how she develops as her front end catches up to the back. It's always good to see a clear shot from the rear as well, but her hind limbs look quite good for her type. I'm no confo expert but I did work with all sorts back in my day... No, she's not naturally disposed to upper level dressage, but she looks like with appropriate work she will be sound and sane and she sure is cute!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Studies View Post

Wow! What a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Here we go:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...6&l=4275f08cc3
    <snip> so I'm debating bathing her while she's sedated just to get it done.

ETA: Would anyone mind if I turned this post into a running blog about our progress?
    <snip>
    And a second horse just became a real possibility. This week is starting to look up.
    Pretty Girl
    She looks as if she's in the midst of a growth spurt with that butt & definetly not in need of a bath (FP was not bathed from April - July, even though he'd never had a bath in his life) good grooming does alot to get them clean & shiny looking. You'll be able to spot clean with a sponge & bucket (keep bucket 20 feet away ).
    Adding flax & black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) to her diet will improve her coat if it's dry/coarse & she has flaky/dry skin.

She may be very accepting but it takes time for a bond of trust & leadership acceptance to develop, especially if she's never been handled much.

Blog away

Definitely wait on the second horse until you realize just where you are with this one - it's always much easier to buy another horse, than to sell one on when you realize that you're over-extended in time & costs.

While she is beautiful and sweet, she is not athletic looking. Her croup is a lot higher than her withers! Her blood lines do not suggest that she will be a competitive dressge horse.

She may be a very lovely fun horse for you to play around with, but I do not expect she has the athletic ability to score well at recognized dressage shows.

Well I think she's adorable and such a sweet, endearing expression. You never know how she'll do in dressage (shows) she may just kick some WB butts.
    Have fun and enjoy, I can see why you bought her! Keep us Posted.

In all fairness she's a baby at 3 years old, especially for the type. You can't decide now that she's croup high. Heck there was a great article here on COTH about looking at OTTBs with the same eye.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    While she is beautiful and sweet, she is not athletic looking. Her croup is a lot higher than her withers! Her blood lines do not suggest that she will be a competitive dressge horse.

She may be a very lovely fun horse for you to play around with, but I do not expect she has the athletic ability to score well at recognized dressage shows.
    I have to agree. Cute? Sure. Pretty color? Ok, yes. But athletic? No. Of course, she will only improve with dressage work, but if I were looking for a dressage horse, even a "lower level" one, I would not pick this one.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

I was just looking at GVs on another thread and admitting, "You know, even without the rainbows and butterflies they are kinda purty..."

In about two or three years she's going to look like a young Scarlett O'Hara running across the fields at Tara with her skirts and petticoats flying every which way. I want to see what happens when she's a "grownup"!

This is a very young horse and if I were looking for a GP mount I might pass too. But the OP likes her, and what will it cost to see how she develops--a little time and money? Give them a chance and see how they do!

The OP had requested conformation feedback & I think this is an accurate assessment of the horse in the photo - who may of course, change very little or rather dramtically as she matures.

ETA I suspect she will be much more muscular (given the OP's stated program ) & balanced at 4 & able to do much of what the OP wishes to do with her.

What exercises do you think she'd benefit from the most? I realize this could change, but where might her limitations be as far as collected/extended work?

What exercises might help make dressage work easier for her?

The croup wasn't that high a couple months ago, it's been shooting up and her rear end has been filling out a lot. It's been kind of amazing, really! I wish we had more pictures from when we bought her, because she's been changing quite a bit. Oh well, more pictures going forward. Watching her change is going to be interesting.

Tonight, I brought the clippers out for the first time. She didn't even flinch, and let me run the side of the clippers along her muzzle for a little bit. Actual trimming was a no go, but she's not bothered by the sound of them, so I'm feeling good about that for never having seen clippers before. I plan on just working with them a little each day until she's used to them. I am, however, about to go psycho on the feathers! Holy crap, they catch every blasted piece of dirt/manure.

I see no reason why she wouldn't be able to score well at a recognized show with proper training. TL isn't rocket science and it's not any more challenging or taxing physically than any other career, except maybe recreational trail horse. Honestly, neither is First level unless you ride like a drill sergeant.

She's cute, appears to have matching front and back ends unlike many drafty-types, and is clearly not done growing!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Agree with Heinz. The OP didn't ask what everyone thought about her mare as a GP prospect...Sounds like she has the potential to be a very sensible lower level all around horse...and most importantly, the OP likes her and is going to have FUN with her. Horses are much too expensive and time-consuming not to have fun with.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

As someone who has a Registered Irish Draught Sport Horse who COULD score well at recognized dressage shows I have to say that some of us think that scoring well at RDS's isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
    Not counting all the fees involved two classes cost as much or more than one lesson. Not to mention time and angst. For me it's a no brainer
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.