The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter riding gloves?

I need a new pair of gloves that are warm without being too bulky, and that would fit a hand with fairly long fingers. Any recommendations? Thank you!

I LOVE my Heritage extreme winter riding gloves. They're thin enough that you can feel your reins fine. They break the wind pretty well. They're also fairly water resistant (they claim waterproof...they do pretty well in the rain for a while). I used to use them to drive a carriage downtown when I was outside for 10-12 hours straight in whatever weather.

Roeckl winter chester gloves. They're really thin, but warm enough to make my hands perspire in all but the coldest weather. I do switch them out to heavier weight gloves for chores. I love them!

Mr JB bought me some Ariat leather gloves several years ago, and they *rock*. Still going strong - 5 full Winters now I think? This will be #6. I do slather some Leather Therapy Leather Cleaner on once a month or so, let dry, then do the same with the LT Conditioner, and the leather is still doing very very well.

Thin enough to not feel like I have Michelin Man fingers, but hefty enough to actually provide warmth. They are closer fitting than many of the floofier gloves, especially many polar fleece ones, but still roomy enough I can use a pair of silk liners underneath if I want.