The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing/Cross Country barns in Southern Connecticut?

So I posted a similar question over in the "Around The Farm" forum and got a wonderful response but I figured I'd ask here because I want to start jumping and ultimately riding cross country and well, it seems like that's what folks here do!

I just moved to Waterbury CT, have rode off and on for most of my life, never shown (but want too) and never really jumped, and all I find myself wanting is to be barreling down a grassy hill jumping everything is sight! I am a advanced beginner/intermediate rider and am looking for a great barn to progress at!
    This barn should be within an hour of Waterbury CT, have an indoor for year round lesson, have great lesson horses, be under $60 an hour and have a understanding, safe, yet slightly competitive atmosphere.

Please let me know if you ride at a place like this or know of a place like this!

Welcome to Connecticut! Guilford looks like its about 50 minutes from you but the Guilford Riding School meets all of your criteria. Big sand outdoor, sand indoor with viewing room, I believe its $45 for an hour group lesson, or $45 for 40 minute private. She does a lot of beginner lessons so she's got very safe horses who also event. They probably venture to about 5-7 events per year Beginner Novice and Novice mostly but the trainer has gone through Prelim. She's also got two ditches, a bank, a drop fence, house jump, and a bench all situated around the outdoor so you can practice cross country jumping into and out of the ring. Very fun!

Here's the link to their website: http://www.grsriding.com

Good luck!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I used to live in Litchfield MANY years ago and was born in Trumbull. I wouldn't consider Waterbury to be "southern" as compared to the Fairfield area. I'd be looking toward Litchfield area. It "Used" to be one of the horsey capitals of the state. Lovely country, too!! Good luck!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Thanks guys!
    I found The Guilford Riding School and it struck me a bit odd but maybe I'll call them and find out a bit more.
    Thanks crosscreeksh! That's actually really good to know.