The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Arena lights and "no freeze" footing question

Hi inernet friends,

I'm looking into putting some lights on my smallish, private ring and was wondering if you all have any suggestions for the actual *type* of lights to use/any lessons learned from your own light experience.

Also, I recently saw an ad for a farm in my area that advertised "no freeze" footing....any idea what that could be?

Quote Originally Posted by REH View Post
    Hi inernet friends,

I'm looking into putting some lights on my smallish, private ring and was wondering if you all have any suggestions for the actual *type* of lights to use/any lessons learned from your own light experience.

Also, I recently saw an ad for a farm in my area that advertised "no freeze" footing....any idea what that could be?
    Best thing to do is contact a Ele. to determine what type and wattage you can put in.

Best and least expensive way we found to keep footing from freezing when we had indoor in Ma. was about end of Nov. I would heavy soak indoor then spread calcium chloridite (I always used the pelleted type)down heavy (so it looks as though it snowed) kept footing great all winter and no dust! I would have to rewater about 2/3 more times throughout the winter but only had to spread CC 1x a year. We had a very busy lesson barn and indoor was used about 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

Another vote for calcium chloridite. My barn used it last year and it worked great. No frozen days. Also, not sure if you have neighbors but make certain your area doesn't have some kind of rule against the sort of lighting you can use. If your neighbors are close, they might pitch a fit about the lights.

I have seen rings lit solely on one side with the right wattage with absolutely NO shadowing anywhere in the ring. You need those kind they use at the golf driving ranges (whatever they are!).

A smaller ring could easily be well lit with two poles on one side and maybe one on an end. I know of one lit that way and it is superb. Sorry I can't help you with the wattage though. I just know they were the kind that light golf driving ranges.

I'm happy with 400w metal halide, two lights per long side, on 20' poles. I would visit local arenas and decide what you want, and also, what you can afford. I don't jump-so I don't need golf quality lighting. Just dressage.