The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Turnout Blanket Recommendations

I have been using Schneiders for years. I have four horses that wear the mid-weight waterproof/breathable cheapo 1200D blankets. They tend to last for a year and then I toss them. My horses are TOUGH on blankets. Their favorite game is to hold their buddies by the blanket and see how hard they can drag each other. They are turned out in pairs for about 10-12 hours a day, so their blankets take a beating.

Does anyone have a better blanket recommendation? I will spend the money for a better blanket, but it MUST hold up, especially since I'm buying four of them. I have tried Amigo, but wasn't super impressed...They only lasted a year. I know I need at least 1200D. I wonder what everyone else is using and your experiences with durability and longevity with different brands. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Well, my expensive Rambo Supreme was only on one of my horses for 2 weeks before his buddy dragged it off of him, breaking the snaps on the front. I bought several 5 years ago and the lining is starting to tear. I just bought a bunch of Schneider's blankets (bought two last year) and I guess my guys are getting older, but I don't have as much damage anymore. However, last winter, one of them was turned out in his Rambo and a 100gm liner. One of his buds managed to pull off the blanket with everything still buckled. They then pulled the liner out and must have played tug of war with it...I found pieces all over the pasture.

Good luck.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

IMO Rambo is one of the highest quality blankets you'll find. I found a Rambo out in the field that a horse managed to get off, no tears, nothing broken. That was enough to get me to try it out. So far it has held up to my insane gelding who thinks it's funny to try to yank his blanket over his head.

Other blankets I've heard good things about, Bucas, Shires, and Turtleneck.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I have mares thank god and they are way easier on blankets! I love Rambos for them, plus in my neck of the woods they were easier to get, but everyone that I know that has a Bucas has them for YEARS and years. Occ the hardware may need replacing but the actually blanket stands up really well. I have one Bucas (again I have mares) that I've had for 4 years. Only need 1 buckle replaced. They are expensive but they are also very breathable. Goodluck.

Weatherbeeta Orican is my favorite blanket by a mile, followed closely by the SmartPak pink and blue plaid thinsulate turnouts. I have owned Rambos, Rhinos and various Schneiders and really hated them all. With Rambo you pay for brand name, certainly not quality or fit. I have found Rambos and Rhinos to be the most horribly cut and fitting blankets I have ever tried. Every one I've bought I have prompty sold. They are cut very narrow and short in the hindquarters and barrel and too boxy and baggy in the shoulders. You can easily see this in their advertising literature as well.

I've always found Rambo to be a good fit on my horses (unlike the previous poster) and they've been extremely durable. Rhino and Amigo...not so much. I believe you do get what you pay for. Some horses fit the wug cut better, and others the regular cut is better...just depends on the build.

Turtleneck makes a great blanket and has a fabulous warranty, so I do recommend them if that fit is right for your horse. Bucas blankets are high quality and durable, but the fit isn't always the best for every horse. The wide chested, big shouldered ones fit Bucas the best, I have found - at least, in the power rug, which is the silver one with the extra chest piece in front. I have two Bucas Power rugs that have to be at least 10 years old and still waterproof.

Last year, I picked up one of the newer Pessoa Tundra blankets with the nifty stretchable shoulder gusset in the neckline and was impressed with that one. My blanket destroyer wore it most of the winter without major damage, so that is another one I would recommend, if the fit is right for your horse.

I've never had good luck with any of the Weatherbeetas so only buy them if super cheap and I need something quick or disposable!

Rambo's are great BUT very pricey! I have had my Schneiders blankets hold up nearly as well as Rambo at a fraction of the cost. Don't like weatherbeeta's much at all, Amigo's don't hold up, not tough enough fabric

Anybody ever had luck with Shedrow blankets?

I am a huge fan of Pessoa blankets. My horse has been with some rowdy boys in turnout and the blanket still looks pretty much new going on the 3rd winter. Only fault was one chest buckle broke but it was because he got caught on a stall door- I am very thankful the buckle broke! And due to their design it was easy to replace with a clip I bought from the hardware store.

I used to love the Rambos and the Rhino's but I don't they are made like they use to be. I have used the weathabeeta Orican and liked the fit and all but I turn my gelding out with the Schneiders. He is not bad on his blankets but he has a pasture mate that is a total jerk. The schneiders hold up to the daily matches of gelding play and I don't feel the need to scream or throw a jollyball to get the jerk-horse onto something new when I see them playing.

I've tried them all....... The toughest so far is the Baker turnourt.

my boys have managed to shred: rambos, bakers, weatherbeeta oricans and schneiders. The only unscathed blankets are interestingly enough Centaur, and ancient Dover.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckOfTheIrish91 View Post
    I am a huge fan of Pessoa blankets. ...
    HUGE ditto! My Schneider's looks like it's been through a war after one season of light use. The Pessoa looks brand-new. I have the 2100D Tundra.

Mine wear the Rambos, the green ones with red trim. A couple of mine are over ten years old and still hanging in there. I've had to restitch the piping a time or two, but that's it. I love them.

Yes I will also agree about the Pessoas. I haven't owned one in a few years but they are VERY nice blankets.

I think the reason for such a wide range of opinions on Rambos is you're talking the old original Rambos that were made in Ireland, versus the new fangle crap made in China. If I could get an old style, original Rambo I would consider trying it. But I have zero interest in paying $350 for a piece of mass produced trash.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also agree on the Pessoa turnouts. I just passed my mare's onto a friend, and this will be winter #4 that it has been in use. The worst damage it took is the piping finally started to roll off in spots. I personally haven't used their heavyweight blanket, but I have bought three of the midweights (it's all we need down here) and will keep on using them religiously.

Rambo is my favorite turnout. Fits my horse the best and is the toughest. My trainer/barn owner has schneiders on many of her horses and those things have survived many winters with no rips, she loves them. Her old bucas blankets were the longest lasting, but are finally wearing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Shedrow Gold is good (for the person asking about shedrow blankets). The others for the price are decent, and I love the way they fit.

My favourite blanket is a 10 year old Rambo Supreme. Still kicking!

All I can say is that these threads make me so happy that I own a polite, gentle mare who has yet in years of ownership to ever make a mark or scratch on her 600D blankets.

Good grief. No rambunctious geldings for me.

I like my Smartpak thinsulate turnout (warm but very light--makes a difference when I have to throw everyone's blankets on in the AM!) and the higher-end Weatherbeetas. Dover Northwinds have great durable fabric but the front snaps break pretty easily.

A couple of the horses at our barn have Pessoas, and those are holding up beautifully although they're only about a year old (massive sale at Ricks last fall). One of the horses that has a Pessoa shreds EVERYTHING and this still looks nearly brand new. My only quibble is that they seem to run a little small.

ETA I'm not overly sold on Rambos either, especially for the price.