The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Using non-horsey skills to start a horse related business?

It's a very slow season at work right now and I'm finding I have a lot of time for daydreaming about how much I'd rather be 1) at the barn and 2) working for myself. Today especially has been spent trying to think of ways to parlay my HR and tech recruiting experience into some kind of horse related gig. Obviously now is quite possibly the worst time to quit a stable job and strike out on your own but a girl can dream can't she?

So I though I would put the question out there in hope of getting back some ideas and inspiration... How many of you have taken your business/tech/etc skills and found a way to use them to make a living in horses? What kind of business options are there to go into outside of the typical boarding/breeding/training business?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I haven't done it personally but there are obviously tons of companies that cater to the horse industry in some way, shape or form. Feed companies, various kinds of suppliers, animal related pharma companies etc all have the same IT and HR needs as other (non-horsey) firms.

My advice is too look up vendor lists from the big equine trade fairs to get lists of companies, and then see if they are hiring.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina