The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Elevator bridle vs. Barnsby Comfort Padded bridle?

Anyone have experience with either bridle? My horse currently goes in the Micklem, but after being diagnosed with Headshaking Syndrome, I have a theory that the nose pressure the bridle exerts might not be the best idea for him. I am an eventer, but have found more "dressage-y" bridles seem to be more comfort-oriented, plus I like a thicker, padded noseband.

Looking for a regular cavesson, in dark brown/havana, comfort oriented/ultra padded, snaffle bridle, about $300 budget if anyone has other suggestions. Would prefer buckle ends for the cheek pieces, but not necessary.

Thanks!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I REALLY like the Elevator. I have them for my two Arabs, both of whom are fairly sensitive, particulary around the ears. The leather is absolutely lovely, and they've held up well, through rain, mud, etc.

I bought one from Dover on clearance, and ordered the other directly from Horsesense in the UK. If you're not in a hurry, they are really flexible and will change browband sizes, etc. for you. With the exchange rate, it'll run you right around $300, plus shipping. I don't think they come with the buckle option, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

http://www.elevatorbridles.co.uk/

also check out the Albion KB bridle- such nice quality....

I have a brown Jeffries Elevator and it is a gorgeous, soft, lovely bridle. Can you tell I like it? I also got mine on clearance from Dover to use as a nice super-comfortable back-up/trail riding bridle (back when I was at a barn with a TON of trails) and now I wish I had one in black... The nose and crown are padded so nicely but not over the top. The leather is perfect--the quality you just can't find anymore. I can't recommend it highly enough.