The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default I knew I should have stayed away

But I was drawn like a moth...

Backyardchickens Other Pets forum.
    {head-desk, head-desk}

Now there's a newbie who was just given a 4mo weanling.
    By a breeder who foaled out 20 mares this year but can't feed the babies so they are giveaways.
    Foal is for newbie's daughter.
    She has no other horses, but "has been reading for a year"
    Pic of weanling shows it in a nylon halter.
    Tied short to a fence.
    In a pen with a stack of pallets covering a hole former owner dug for a septic.
    Oh - and the foal isn't drinking or eating hay. Just the little bit of grass in the pen.

How many things are wrong with this picture?

http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru....php?id=574082

Rant over.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Oh dear.

Oh for the love of God. Wow.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Default And

If the breeders could not afford to feed them, perhaps she has not even had grain, etc before. I wonder if "weaning" was done by loading this little one on the trailer and hauling her away. No wonder she is not eating or drinking. Besides, I assume she is alone there, tied, with pallets in her pen...

I realize these people were trying to help and it is nice they are trying to give her a home. Inexperience may be the issue, and learning with a weanling is probably not the way to go. I hope they get some help and or advice soon.

ok... now my rant is over.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

sweet looking baby...what a quagmire....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

That is one cute filly, though. I hope those spirit-folk who take care of ignorant horse owners are paying attention to this one!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Breeder tried to give them two, but they didn't have the budget? Oh dear. So now, assuming the filly survives, they are going to have an adolescent horse with no other horses to play with or teach it manners. Because, of course, every dear daughter needs 600 pounds of improperly socialized pet.

She is getting a lot of good advice from other posters. Who are telling her to buy another horse, which is good advice, but yet ... a novice horse owner with not one, but two horses to learn about could be another train wreck.

From what the poster said, she can't afford two horses, anyway.

Horses are not chickens...sigh.

Don’t go getting yourself in trouble again, over on that "chicken board".. They seem to become very sensitive when you give advice, they disagree with!

Quote Originally Posted by cheektwocheek View Post
    Don’t go getting yourself in trouble again, over on that "chicken board".. They seem to become very sensitive when you give advice, they disagree with!
    I liked the poster who always qualifies with, "I am sure you know this, but ... just repeating in case you didn't know."

Very diplomatic!

Oh good Lord. I don't know how you stand that board.

This looks like one of those illustrations in Pony Club manuals where you circle everything that is wrong in the picture.

One question- is she actually TIED to the fence, or is the red lead rope just hanging to the ground? (Hmm, maybe because they're having trouble catching her?). I'm tired and my eyes aren't working.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

That's just so sad- I fear for that lovely little girl.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by cheektwocheek View Post
    sigh....
    I actually typed out several responses then deleted them because Diplomacy is not my strong suit when I see such a potential crapstorm.

Kwill: I'll just let those with better manners try to walk them through this mess.

Somermist: that's what I figured too. So "Breeder" did not even bother to give feeding info to these people?
    To me that sounded like a remarkable lack of concern for the foals given away.
    Of course anyone foaling out 20 mares in this economy is probably a little short on Brainpower anyhow...

Generally I only go to BYC for the recipe forum.
    When that doesn't have anything interesting I wander over to the Other Pets.
    When will I learn?

ETA: okay, I gritted my teeth and posted telling newbie to PLEASE address the no eating/drinking issue
    I tried to keep it all Sugar 'n Spice, but I worry for that baby
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

On another note, I actually dreamed about that Zebra debacle the other night. It didn't end prettily in my dream either.

Haha, yeah, they could have gotten a zebra for their little princess!

The filly wasn't eating or drinking because she wasn't fully weaned, is my guess. Although they did post they were going to take her to the vet if she didn't start eating and drinking, so maybe the vet can give them some management advice.

Owner that was giving away all the foals to novices because they couldn't feed their herd should be ashamed. Better than running them through a sale, maybe ... at least these folks are trying to be responsible.

The filly will be on craigslist in a year. She will have run over/bitten/struck/kicked one or more of the family, and she won't be "cute" any more because she's a yearling.

There isn't anything anyone can do. At some point that kid is going to get trampled or flat out kicked in the head. Momma will whine and cry on the board and someone will direct her to Parelli...

Quote Originally Posted by kristinq View Post
    Oh good Lord. I don't know how you stand that board.

This looks like one of those illustrations in Pony Club manuals where you circle everything that is wrong in the picture.

One question- is she actually TIED to the fence, or is the red lead rope just hanging to the ground? (Hmm, maybe because they're having trouble catching her?). I'm tired and my eyes aren't working.
    I didn't think it looked like she was tied either....hope they get a trainer or some help.
    Things Take Time

I am not seeing a huge issue her.

I do not know why her leadrope is on, though it could be they just caught her to play with her and take a picture. The leadrope is not explained in the initial post.

As far as the pallets go, they are not dangerous. They are stacked high enough that the weanling can see them easily and wooden pallets do not have sharp enough edges that they are automatically an issue if a horse rubs against them.

You cannot see much of the pen, so it is hard to judge the condition - though she said the weanling ate most of the grass. She also said this is a temporary pen, so one assumes they have more room and a grassier area for the baby.

Cannot really fault the current owners for what the previous owners have done, which is causing the weanling to not eat. The current owners do say if she does not eat soon, she will see the vet. The current owners also said they specifically did NOT take a second horse because they knew only one was in the budget - there are plenty of people I know that are more horse knowledgeable than her that have more horses than they should.

No, not really seeing anything wrong here.

"She is a sweetie but you can see that little bit of flare in her eyes. The one that she knows she is loved and will be taken care of but she is going to test her limits just because she knows she is loved."

Really? Really?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.