The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OTTBs

Just returned from a trip to Louisiana to get more OTTBs. Anyone who thinks there are no affordable, sound, young and athletic horses available hasn't been down there. We could have filled up a three horse trailer twice. So for those who are looking, don't discount these horses. They are so well suited for the hunters and deserve to get off the backside. Check CANTER down there, make some calls, and find yourself a very nice prospect.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

It's too bad you can't "like" a post!

In the "purpose bred" arguments, folks often forget that OTTBs were purpose bred to be fast, catty to maneuver in traffic, able to push off from behind to get out of the gate fast... Generally, while "hunter" isn't the goal, so many of their aspects of racing actually apply to the sporthorse rings.

Also, I'm in love with my OTTB. I wasn't his first owner off the track, but he originally had a teenager on him. Who showed him w/t at a hunter show a week after they picked him up from the track.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I love my OTTB who is beautiful, smart, sensitive, and very athletic. She is also a very sweet girl. Every trainer I have worked with has really liked her.

I didn't think there WAS a canter down there (here).

Right at this particular moment in time, I'm starting to feel like going "non-OTTB" for my (in all probability) final horse was maybe the worst mistake I've ever made in my 50+ year equestrian career. My trainer got one in last week for training and as soon as I saw that calm, curious attitude and that keen, intelligent eye I darn near broke down sobbing.

Once you go TB, you *cannot* go back!!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The quintessential hunter, to me, will *always* be a TB.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I love the OTTB - used to train them for a racetrainer who had a rescue /rehab to transition anything with a lip tattoo to non racing homes. It was a great job. Hence my 20 something older guy is an OTTB I got from that group. Then I got a WB cross - he is wonderful in so many ways but while shopping for a horse for a client - we met this mare off the track and I was like - this is the kindest heart I have ever seen in a TB mare. She is the kind of horse if you hang out with her - you just start thinking she cant possibly get any sweeter and she does.

She is such a trier too. her neck is set a little low for dressage which I prefer but we jump everything some too and do some eventing though I have really fell into dressage more deeply.... but man, its SO easy to train her - she is SUCH a trier. She is SO wanting to please and just gets it. There are no road blocks.

Takes me back to my training days when I did exercise horses on the track and then working for the rehab group for ten years - love the OTTB so much.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    I've never dealt with Canter or any of the trainers that advertise on the site because their "prices" are ridiculous. I have a constant supply of sound, healthy, sane TB's that come to me free. So many I have to say no to a lot of them. Why would anyone pay for them?
    Wow. Guess you have connections that no one else has... So, maybe they're having to pay for the ones you "say no to."

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    This is so funny to me! The young WB that I have been raising is not turning out to be the ultimate horse to carry me into old ladyhood.... Turns out the OTTB is!
    I am actually going to sell the WB and keep the TB who was our 'sales horse'. That horse is the sweetest, most laid-back, best natured, most honest, most generous, people-pleasing, not to mention totally handsome, cute moving, fabulous jumping beastie that I know. Lucky me

So, you uninitiated folks looking for a good horse, take the advice of those of us who know, try a TB - you might just like it
    Y'all ain't right!

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

War Admiral you were just spoiled because HRH Avery was so awesome. I 'm sure Q will get there..... eventually if not he is awfully cute

I have and OTTB and loff him to pieces, I had never had the opportunity to ride many Warmbloods in my time until my guy got injured. For the last year I have ridden a few different ones and honestly can't see what all the fuss is about. I will take my TB for attitude and work ethic anyday. With the exception of one WB mare ( who was totally awesome ) the rest have been spooky, slow, and feel like I have to work so damned hard to get the minimum done. They just have a different mindset I think.

I am not saying TB's are better than WB as a blanket rule because there are some awesome ones out there but for me, I MUCH prefer the TB attitude.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I also love my OTTB. He's smart, calm, and VERY level headed. He listens, and thinks. He also has the best canter.. it's like a rocking horse's, and he's very talented over fences. Another thing I love about him is being able to bathe him. My arab thinks I'm murdering him, and my Hanoverian tries very hard, but we have to go slow with it. I can just spray all of the dust and dirt off his grey coat and he's fine. I don't even have to put a lead on him if there's grass!

The only thing is he wont 'try his heart out' for me yet, which is fine. He's only 4 1/2! But my half Arab wont even tell me he has a little bug, which is something we've talked about.

I cant wait to take my OTTB and show him. I'm probably going to do some trot a pole, and flat classes at next months horse show, and depending on how he's doing, I may stuff in a cross rail hunter or eq class for the experience since its the last show of the year.

The gal I adopted him from just brought in another gorgeous OTTB, and I wish I had an extra $900 so I could pick him up as well. I'm just hooked!

I absolutely adore my OTTB. I knew I wanted one when I was looking for my first horse but I love mine now even more than I did when I bought him 4 years ago. He's sweet, smart, athletic, and tries his heart out for me. My trainer always comments on how we have a relationship that he and his prelim mare don't. He's just the best horse ever and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I love my OTTB. (most of the time ). He's willing, brave, and ATHLETIC with scope to spare. He's quick and light on his feet and he'll jump from anywhere.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Actually, you should say, "Once you go off the track, you never go back!" All us OTTB lovers should put that in our sigs.

As my equine career has switched from h/j, to racing, and now back to h/j over the last 40 or so years, I differ from many of you with my OTTB in that I bred her, I raced her, did her starting gate training myself, some works, all the galloping between races, then started jumping her when I was done with racing. She said, "OK, we'll jump now". So easy. I offered her up for sale at first, for $2500, as a children's prospect, as she was so good. But no interest, so she stayed here and we continued with our training. I am so glad now that nobody was interested in buying her. Her current value is unknown, as she is not for sale, but I would suspect that another zero could be added, and that total doubled.

At the last show we attended, myself and another rider were mounted on TBs, and were battling it out for the win in the classes. One obviouisly "sport specific" bred horse was also there, it wasn't good. The other TB rider turned to me and deadpanned, "I just don't see the attraction". I just about fell off laughing so hard. I won't make generalizations about breeds of horses. There are some great sport bred horses around, I believe Eric Lamaze has one just now. But give a TB a chance (like so many riders and trainers are NOT doing these days, succumbing to marketing) to see a true athlete. People seem to forget about Jet Run, Sympatico, Warrior, Idle Dice, Gem Twist, Touch of Class, and the MANY other TB superstars that happened in the past. Let alone in the hunter divisions. Would these horses be competitive over today's course? I dunno, got to try them to find out I think. Probably fairly competitive. The top competitive horses are always at the far right of the bell curve produced within that breed. Doesn't matter the breed. The fact that TBs are not being "tried" right now (other than the enlightened folks on this thread) makes them rare at the top right now, unlike days past. Which is such a pity that the next TB superstar may go undetected, untried by the rider/trainer who can take him to the top, and instead be looking at being given away to a low level rider/trainer, or to a "rescue", or to auction when, in fact, he has such huge potential in the right hands. All due to lack of marketing.

These horses should have value, they should not have to be given away off the track. If the market were not flooded by "sport bred" horses with marketing in place, they would have value.

Generally if you show up with a trailer and cash, many track trainers are more than willing to bargain, regardless of what the horses are listed for on the website. If a horse is listed too low, it gets overlooked as having problems. Purty greys who are sound tend to attract more lookers, so they can ask more- why shouldn't they? If someone thinks $3000 is too expensive for a nicely-put together horse they shouldn't be shopping.

I love both my boys- one is an OTTB, one is a Dutch WB. The WB is only three years old and two months into serious under saddle training he has an incredible work ethic- which I know may change when he reaches 4! He is very smart, curious, super-athletic, and happy with his life. He's going to be a kickass jumper. I can say the *exact* same thing about my TB. I like that they have great minds but are shaping up to be different rides- it's fun riding both and having a totally different feel under me. I have owned 4 TBs and 2 non-TBs and loved them all.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    I've never dealt with Canter or any of the trainers that advertise on the site because their "prices" are ridiculous. I have a constant supply of sound, healthy, sane TB's that come to me free. So many I have to say no to a lot of them. Why would anyone pay for them?
    I don't know about the prices specific to Canter, they seem to be all over place, and you can certainly find OTTB's for less than advertised on Canter.

What worries me about Canter and other such entities is that they are coming to represent what today's TB's are, which I do not find completely representative, and I believe probably does very little to promote the TB for our industry.

As well I have found that on some locations they wade into the suitability pond, which I believe, given their position, they should refrain from.... nothing but the facts please.

I think at the end of the day we have to realize, that TB's are bred for athleticism, that was the original goal, what made them the most successful breed of horse to date, and why they are so desired by sport horse breeders of so many different disciplines. This general concept of breeding for athleticism is really all the WB breeders today are doing. Yes, they have been successful in "conditionally" tweaking certain athletic aptitude geared specifically towards jumping, but they cannot close the Stud books, and expect those tweaks to continue to exist, they would be bred out in a generation, and 5 generation's later they would be back to carriage horse.

The TB will however always be athletic, and it will never take more than finding the ones with an aptitude for jumping and developing them for a specific discipline.

As the poster and others have eluded to, we lost focus, the TB lost representation, and the end result is a loss of faith in them, but they are still there.

CANTER Gulf South only has trainer listings and the prices are very fair for what you get. Trust me, those LA breds are FINE! Look on my website at the Happy Trails - every one of them an OTTB.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Default We're doing our part!

We've started a free listing service for our local track, but we allow any TB listing.

So we do have pony horses and a barrel horse for sale, and have had others already trail riding or actively competing in Dressage.

We've also started an Alumni page and hope to feature our horses participating in more activities. People need to know TBs can make awesome trail mounts or lesson horses or gaming horses...

Please check out our horses at www.asdhorsesforsale.weebly.com. Season ending next week and most prices negotiable!

That's a fantastic resource for CA OTTBs...would love that on the east coast...for whatever reason I have this horrible itch for a nice resale project
    Love my country! Fear my government!
    Roll Tide
    Fenway Park
    Gotrocks