The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default QH/Welsh Cross

I love this cross. Does anyone know of anyone that breeds this - I know that is an unusual idea - but... that QH mind is great with kids.

We have a mare by a Welsh/TB/Connemara medium pony stallion and out of an P-234 QH. Easiest thing to ever draw breath!! Plus it is a cute mover and great jumper. Wish I had a barn full of her at 16.2 hh.

We have what I think is one...owner insists she's pure qh but she has such a welsh head. Great broodmare, bombproof, and so sweet (we'd be riding her but she won't stay sound.)

I have bred a few over the years.... and you are right... they have great brains and wonderful temperaments for kids' ponies. And if you pick the right QH, you can get wonderful movement too! Unfortunately, they are not looked upon as favorably as Welsh/TB crosses, but maybe in time that might change. In the meantime, you have to look high and low for them. I might know where a nice large is hanging out in Michigan I have one in my barn right now for training also - 3 yr old large by Blue Who (by Blue Rain) - wonderful brain, very nice mover, great jump and so easy... and for sale
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

99% sure our pony (my profile pic) is a welsh/QH cross and I think she got the best of both worlds. She's a gorgeous mover, huge stride, athletic, great brain, super with kids. She may not be "cute" in a welshy way, but she was a successful medium pony hunter for many years, now rocking the short stirrup world. I love this cross!

I know someone in Idaho that breeds Connemara QH crosses.

We have one. Love her to death. I originally got her to wean our warmblood babies. Then when we sold my daughter's Med pony, she asked if she could break her. Sure I said. She pulled her out of the field did, I did some ground work with her and my daughter did most of the rides on her, with an occasional schooling ride from me. 3 weeks later she took her to an indoor show and the pony never batted an eye at one thing and came home with some very good ribbons. Next weekend we took her to another show and she went undefeated in the 3 divisions my daughter took her into. I have a video of her being ridden bridleless with less than 3 months of saddle time. I don't know very many 3 year olds I would do that with. My daughter hacked her out and then we turned her out to let her grow up a little more. Unfortunately my daughter is to big to show her now. She gives my son an occasional ride, goes to the elementary schools for show and tell and is the best babysitter in the world. I think it is a great cross
    Here she is, Kahlooa N Kreme. She is a top of the line small,Silver Dapple Buckskin mare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kahlooa collage 3.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	33863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kahlooa N Kreme with Giavanni in the pool.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	33864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9724_1158630977726_1586326068_30407899_7260313_n.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	33866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kahlooa N Kreme.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	33867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kahlooa N Kreme show and tell.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	33868  

Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

My mom bred welsh/QH crosses for years, we had a couple of lovely QH mares that produced great brains. We marketed these ponies as Welsh crosses due to snobbery against QH's in the hunter ring. This is why it's hard to find these crosses, many people won't admit the QH side of the line.

The pony I learned to ride on was a Welsh QH cross. She was a great little pony, not the greatest mover or the most beautiful, but cute. She took good care of me. After she was sold I found out she went to live in FL and became a great show hunter pony!

I have a wonderful 13.1 Welsh/Quart, he has a wonderful personality if a little bit of a wimp. Very talented.

DD rides one on a regular basis. She's a large, chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. Lovely mover, was a h/j pony then tossed into the field for a bit. Now she's back in work and kicking some serious butt in the dressage ring. She's a bit opinionated on occasion and has to be reminded she is indeed a kid's pony but she's only 6. LOVE that QH mind as it does mellow out the pony evilness!
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

My sister's large is supposedly a Welsh/QH. We don't have verification of his breeding but that's what we've been told by previous owners. He is a nice pony, not the best work ethic and needs the occasional tune up, but he's a good boy.

I had a large called Moonlight Bay that was a welsh/qh cross. She was wonderful, very scopy, great mind. She didn't move great, but jumped very well and won a lot in her time.

Suspect there are a bunch of them out there labeled Welsh X and even Welsh/TB. Unless papers are available for the non Welsh side of the mating or it is tatooed? You never know when you buy one what the X actually stands for or if it is a TB not an appendix QH...some times the breeders just go by what the seller of that broodmare told them when they bought it and that seller goes by what they were told.

And sometimes somebody does know and conveniently "loses" the papers when they sell one along and "guesses" at the breeding.

IMO, most of the time, the information just does get lost down a chain of multiple owners. Take a good, hard look at some of those Welsh Xs with "unknown" or an "unidentified TB" parent-they show some pretty good evidence of QH influence.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I've considered breeding my rescue QH-ish mare to a Welsh. She had a baby when she was taken off the truck to Mexico, and was a very good mom. Her baby was super easy to train for the folks who ended up with him, and she is just the coolest personality I've ever met. She has one front leg which doesn't function properly - tendons and muscles were severed on the forearm with no apparent care for a barbed wire injury - and despite that lack of care in her past, she runs and bucks and plays all she wants, hasn't gone lame elsewhere to make up for it so is tough and sound by nature, and learns super fast. She's a super cute hunter mover who could have done dressage, too, because she uses her body well. She used to go over ground poles and super low jumps just for fun when turned out in an arena. She also has a nice conformation.

If I were to breed her, it would be for a fun project to raise and train for my hypothetical future kids - but to lease out but retain ownership of for other kids to get a good start if I ended up not having kids or fostering/adopting kids who were too large for her. I'm short enough (5'1") to train a pony, too.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I have one, but he is just a yearling now. Eventually he will be for sale. He is definately a smart, and well behaved baby and pretty to boot! Black with a star and white socks

I have one in for sale right now. Such a good mind on him, so mellow and you can see both breeds in him

Sterling is a Welsh/QH! So I was excited to see this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...075c41d&type=1

Here's the public album link to our show this weekend. Sterling is the big grey pony with a few dapples.

As you can see, she's soo sweet, kind, and cute
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

I have had several over the years . Each and every one has been exceptional. My Middleway's Handsome Devil won many ,many Best Young Pony's in the pony hunter breeding . I have a wonderful 4y.o. QH mare( small at 15 h) that I ride. I am seriously considering breeding her to a small Welsh stallion . I think this is the best cross for a really nice children's pony.

This cross is not new or unusual by any means and if done correctly can be really nice.

I know of no pony breeders that breed this cross intentionally (on a regular basis) and had big successes with the resulting cross, but I love the QH breed as an independent breed. Feet, a thicker throat latch and the upright pastern is always a concern.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse