The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default De-worming Caused Loose Stools, Normal or Problematic?

Title says it all. Gelding is on a rotational de-worming schedule. Yesterday I used Anthelcide EQ, and today he has loose stools. I haven't found much when I searched for answers. This is the first time in the past four years it has happened with this particular gelding. Should I be worried, or is it a normal occurence for most horses?

Default I used Anthelcide and had a colic

I used this same wormer this year as part of a rotational program. I have not used it before. Gave it to 5 horses and 1 colicked. I would keep a close watch on your gelding.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

I've used it many times without any issues. I even just used it on my 6 month old - no problems.

Any horse has the potential to have a reaction to a given chemical at a given time. It's not common. It might be "normal" for a given horse - doesn't mean it's normal in the population.

Some horses just don't agree with some chemicals.

Used Anthelcide awhile back for my horses and one had a bad diarrhea episode afterwards -- like from normal to waterfall overnight. Got him cleared up fine, but vet recommended I not use that particular wormer for that horse again. My others (4 others) were fine with it.

I have used Anthelicide for years, but one time a couple of years ago, I had one mare colic and the other became extremely stocked up in all 4 legs. I can't say for sure if it was related to the dewormer, but it seemed to be.

First time I gave Cloudy and Calllie the anthecideEQ, their manure looked like cow patties. That wormer really cleans out horses, and is great for pin worms. (Tail rubbing equals pin worms with my horses.) BOs complain about it, but that product is great for pin worms.

Hot weather tends to also be a factor. In cooler weather we didn't see manure as loose when I used the anthelicide EQ.

I've given this gelding Anthelcide EQ twice a year for the past four years and have never had an issue. He's not showing any signs of colic, yet. It's good to hear from others who have seen the same thing!

cloudyandcallie, interesting that you mention the weather. It's a definite possibility, this being Texas in the summertime.

It probably just killed off a bunch of worms that the other dewormers weren't getting. I've seen them get diarrhea from a massive die off before. Just keep monitoring for signs of colic, fever, or elevated digital pulses.

Yes. I'm in SE GA coast, and hot weather does influence what happens when worming the horses. In spring and fall, the anthelcideEQ doesn't cause as much loose stools as in 100 degree summer weather. I try to worm on cooler days, like 90 or less.

But as oneperfectride said, the anthelcideEQ does kill off every worm and cleans them out of the gut. Some wormers don't get all the worms.

I give probiotics a day or so afterward. And it's never caused mine to colic.

Anthelcide (oxibendazole) for sure is NOT a high kill chemical

It has a VERY poor kill rate for strongyles; in some studies it was even down to 0%.

It has a high kill rate for ascarids and pinworms.

It doesn't kill bots, doesn't kill encysted strongyles.

It really doesn't kill a lot of things anymore, but what it does kill, it kills well.