The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I just wanted to clear a few things up. My foster horse is not in danger. I will cut back a bit more to make sure all my horses have what they need.

Due to the lack of training this horse has, and his physical limitations and vices, I felt getting the horse to a trainer before their children get on his back was extremely important. No one has inquired on this horse since I took him in and the only people who inquired about him were personal contacts. He is on the website with photos and a description but nothing has resulted in that. By getting him to a home that does not care about his genetic issues, etc., and where he will be loved by a large handful of children was much more important than getting a rather high adoption fee (especially in this economy). Perhaps I was wrong to suggest 30 days of training vs. paying an adoption fee...who knows. But I was thinking what would be best for the family and the horse to have a successful adoption.

I have reviewed the foster application and it reads similar to an adoption application. Nothing on long term foster issues, etc. They do mention that medical expenses can be submitted for re-imbursement if approved prior to then being done but I was assuming that was for life threatening issues. And although I have had my ups and downs with this group, they are trying their best.

There is no place for me to haul this horse to as their address is a P.O Box (and I think the USPS is having enough issues right now without a horse in their front office). I have contacted the Board and I am hoping for a positive solution.
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

It would certainly make the headlines if there was a horse tied to the door handle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I just wanted to clear a few things up. My foster horse is not in danger. I will cut back a bit more to make sure all my horses have what they need.

Due to the lack of training this horse has, and his physical limitations and vices, I felt getting the horse to a trainer before their children get on his back was extremely important. No one has inquired on this horse since I took him in and the only people who inquired about him were personal contacts. He is on the website with photos and a description but nothing has resulted in that. By getting him to a home that does not care about his genetic issues, etc., and where he will be loved by a large handful of children was much more important than getting a rather high adoption fee (especially in this economy). Perhaps I was wrong to suggest 30 days of training vs. paying an adoption fee...who knows. But I was thinking what would be best for the family and the horse to have a successful adoption.

I have reviewed the foster application and it reads similar to an adoption application. Nothing on long term foster issues, etc. They do mention that medical expenses can be submitted for re-imbursement if approved prior to then being done but I was assuming that was for life threatening issues. And although I have had my ups and downs with this group, they are trying their best.

There is no place for me to haul this horse to as their address is a P.O Box (and I think the USPS is having enough issues right now without a horse in their front office). I have contacted the Board and I am hoping for a positive solution.
    I am getting confused.

One paragraph you say you have a home for him nearby that will love him and put training on him, then in the next paragraph you say there is no place for you to haul this horse.

If you have a good home to send him to, send him there.

I highly doubt the rescue is going to come sue you over a horse they abandoned, especially if you have already written them a letter saying "Come get him by Sept. 15," and they didn't.

You wrote the rescue the letter, gave them notice, they failed to respond, now it is up to you to follow through. Send the horse to the people who want him. IF (big if) the rescue ever gets back to you about him, tell them too bad so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You wrote the rescue the letter, gave them notice, they failed to respond, now it is up to you to follow through. Send the horse to the people who want him. IF (big if) the rescue ever gets back to you about him, tell them too bad so sad.
    This, assuming that 1) the notice falls within the terms of the contract with the rescue (OP said at some point she had some sort of contract/paperwork but hadn't read it) and 2) falls within the stableman's lien (or equivalent) in the OP's state.

Even if the OP has found a perfect home, the state may still require something like a sale at public auction as part of the stableman's lien, for example.

Better to cross all the legal Ts now than have to fight it out in court six months or a year from now when the rescue decides to take an interest and objects to the OP's rehoming of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post

a rescue that does not have a physical address....wow. that's messed up

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Finnegan, I think you are letting these people roll over you a little bit. I am not trying to be mean, but they dumped a cribbing swaybacked horse on you for a year, who you got to be fond of, but can't afford to keep.

The refuse to help you pay for his care, 6 months after he was supposed to be gone. And you are going to cut back on your living expenses to care for someone else's horse? That's not right.

They post your private emails on their message boards, which can't be interpreted in any light but to be disrespectful.

They have no address, and haven't given you one to bring the horse back, because they know you are responsible and won't hurt him.

Please throw a holy fit with these people and stand up for yourself! I just want to come over there and do it for you. I think Tamara would come with =)

having no dog in the fight I would attend for the beer and food alone :>

FW they are totally screwing you.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

One paragraph you say you have a home for him nearby that will love him and put training on him, then in the next paragraph you say there is no place for you to haul this horse.
    I believe one paragraph is referring to giving him to a new home with out the consent of the rescue and the other paragraph is referring to returning him to the rescue (someone mentioned simply shipping him back to the rescue).

Why not have the adopter fill out an application while the horse is still with you. Once approved by the rescue, the horse can go to its new home.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I believe one paragraph is referring to giving him to a new home with out the consent of the rescue and the other paragraph is referring to returning him to the rescue (someone mentioned simply shipping him back to the rescue).
    Well, for the past six months the rescue has dumped a horse on her without her consent so I am not sure how much the "consent of the rescue" counts for at this point.

At some point, a little karate diplomacy is in order. This rescue will string OP along as loooooooooong as she lets them.

Whatever you decide to do, sleep over it before acting, don't be rash, not that you seem like someone that would act rashly.

Be sure you have all your t's crossed and i's dotted before moving the horse.

Don't want to take action and later maybe find yourself at the end of much criticism, maybe even legal trouble for overstepping, like moving the horse on to someone else without having the legal right to do so.

I do agree with others that it is time to take some action, not let that rescue take you for granted and leave you as a foster home in the lurch as they are doing.

I would, by now, name that rescue, so others may beware.
    There are plenty of good, honest ones out there people can help and not fall for those that conduct themselves as this one seems to have done.

Well, for the past six months the rescue has dumped a horse on her without her consent so I am not sure how much the "consent of the rescue" counts for at this point.
    It will count for everything in court if she acts without following legal procedures and the rescue decides to sue her later.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    It will count for everything in court if she acts without following legal procedures and the rescue decides to sue her later.
    Sue her FOR WHAT?

What "damages" is the rescue going to prove?
    The horse is worth NOTHING.
    Loss of a $700 adoption fee is the most they can ask for.
    They are going to spend money and time to sue someone over a max payout of $700?

Counter with 6 months of board and all the emails asking them to take the horse back and the resuce will owe the OP money if they sue.

At some point just be practical.
    Somebody who has ABANDONED a swaybacked genetically deficient horse is not going to sue over $700.
    Somebody who wants to assert ownership of said worthless deformed horse is also going to have to assert ownership of 6 months worth of board starting the day the OP asked them to take their horse back. Who is going to sign up for $1,200-$2,400 in back board to collect a $700 adoption fee???
    And if she keeps dillying around keeping this horse she will pay MORE THAN $700 dotting her i's and crossing her t's, just so that heaven forfend they can't do the 1% chance they are actually going to sue over $700. She has ALREADY spent more than $700 catering to their extra six months of nonsense.

This hoopty-@$$ rescue that can't pull its head out of its own backside is suddenly going to get White & Case on the phone over an adoption fee for a deformed pony? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

This isn't legal advice, it's just practical advice.

Sue her FOR WHAT?

What "damages" is the rescue going to prove?
    The horse is worth NOTHING.
    Loss of a $700 adoption fee is the most they can ask for.
    They are going to spend money and time to sue someone over a max payout of $700?

Counter with 6 months of board and all the emails asking them to take the horse back and the resuce will owe the OP money if they sue.

At some point just be practical.
    Somebody who has ABANDONED a swaybacked genetically deficient horse is not going to sue over $700.
    Somebody who wants to assert ownership of said worthless deformed horse is also going to have to assert ownership of 6 months worth of board starting the day the OP asked them to take their horse back. Who is going to sign up for $1,200-$2,400 in back board to collect a $700 adoption fee???
    And if she keeps dillying around keeping this horse she will pay MORE THAN $700 dotting her i's and crossing her t's, just so that heaven forfend they can't do the 1% chance they are actually going to sue over $700. She has ALREADY spent more than $700 catering to their extra six months of nonsense.

This hoopty-@$$ rescue that can't pull its head out of its own backside is suddenly going to get White & Case on the phone over an adoption fee for a deformed pony? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

This isn't legal advice, it's just practical advice.
    Even if nothing is going to happen, the OP needs to keep her end clean and follow the book.

Just because we think the rescue is doing wrong, we should not encourage the OP to ignore the rules and laws, if there may or not be consequences.

I would suggest to the OP to find what her recourses are and proceed with it, sooner rather than later.

Someone suggested to let the sheriff know there is an abandoned horse situation here and start a paper record from that.

Consulting an attorney right now may make this less costly in the end than stumbling haphazardly around with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Even if nothing is going to happen, the OP needs to keep her end clean and follow the book.

Just because we think the rescue is doing wrong, we should not encourage the OP to ignore the rules and laws, if there may or not be consequences.

I would suggest to the OP to find what her recourses are and proceed with it, sooner rather than later.

Someone suggested to let the sheriff know there is an abandoned horse situation here and start a paper record from that.

Consulting an attorney right now may make this less costly in the end than stumbling haphazardly around with this.
    I completely agree with the suggestion of OP keeping her end clean.

I don't think she needs a lawyer however, she can just look up the state laws on stableman's liens and follow that. Lawyers will be expensive and OP already mentioned she is in a financial crunch. At worst- the rescue would proceed through small claims and that is totally something one can handle themselves. It's just a time consuming PITA.

In front of a judge or mediator, showing organized paper trail of communication or at least attempting communication goes a long way. She might not even need to wait much longer before re-homing the horse, she might already have enough documentation to prove her side/ rights to ownership.

I am guessing she is the kind of person who wants to keep her relationship with these people, so she's playing by the rules for now. Let this be a lesson for the rest of us, though -- don't take on a foster horse if you aren't sure it's going to leave at some point, and have a very clear idea of what your rights are.

My cynical side says they gave her this horse knowing it wouldn't be going anywhere -- I think it might have been a sneak adoption (meaning she was getting it herself forever), and they don't want it back, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    I am guessing she is the kind of person who wants to keep her relationship with these people, so she's playing by the rules for now. Let this be a lesson for the rest of us, though -- don't take on a foster horse if you aren't sure it's going to leave at some point, and have a very clear idea of what your rights are.

My cynical side says they gave her this horse knowing it wouldn't be going anywhere -- I think it might have been a sneak adoption, and they don't want it back, ever.
    yeah, it's one way of finding a forever home for a poor critter.

I would not want to be affiliated with that sorry bunch down the road.
    One thing or another, but they have had a couple things going on that are not ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

OP cannot even start much less maintain a paper trail if there is no address ouside of the PO box#, can't send certified/sig required/return receipt requested to a PO box. She cannot ship him home to a PO box. Actually, if the "rescue" wants that thing shipped back they should come get it themselves.

"Just" PTS? That is not free, with the farm call, med cost, and disposal fee or a day for somebody to dig a hole if she even has a backhoe? And it's NOT her horse.

I dunno, I might just "free lease" the horse to a that family with the understanding ownership is clouded but there is little chance "rescue" will ever participate. Not like they can turn around and sell it anyway.

But OP really needs to go back and read whatever was on that foster application.

IF they had a legit street address she could persue the certified letter route...but they don't and have been unresponsive to calls and e mails...and I feel that is going to stay that way.

I am sorry but you gotta be kidding about the papers, it's still a sway back, undersized cribber that was rescued from New Holland auction??? If it came to that auction with papers? They probably have been placed with another horse and probably were never this one's to begin with-especially with the description not matching. Gosh, with genetic sway back, most breeders would have pulled them anyway if they ever got them in the first place. Not worth raising a ruckus about getting when you can't even find the "rescue".
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Personally, I would email, call, and write a letter every day until this issue is resolved. Just state the facts, you have their horse, you can no longer foster him, where do I send him? Be the squeaky wheel, and squeak, squeak, SQUEAK! If you're allowed to post on their main board, post to it as well--they have already thrown you under the bus and aired your business to the world anyway. Tell them they need to get their horse NOW. They know the situation, and they have taken you for all you're worth every step of the way, so of course they're going to try and keep it going. You have 2 choices, continue being the doormat, or stand up for yourself and do what's right for you. We always say that we are the only voice for the animals, but at the same time, we are the only voice for ourselves as well. If you don't stand up for yourself, who will?

If the rescue files their 990s the address of each of the BOD should be on their 990, send them each a certified letter. You may be able to get the address of the rescue itself off that 990 as well.

Otherwise if you have the name and city and state of the primary rescue person, finding their address, generally, is pretty easy via Google.