The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Default What to do with a foster horse you can no longer afford?-PLS SEE LAST PG,HOME FOUND!

I am at a cross roads here and I am hoping I am not the only one who has ended up in this situation.

Summary-Took in a registered foster horse via a New Holland rescue group last November. His description did not match the very small horse/pony that showed up at my barn late at night from a hauler. I had wanted to open up my extra stall to a horse in need on a short term basis (i.e. less than 6 months). This horse is not rideable due to his size and lack of training.

I provided rescue group photos, constant updates, etc on this horse but not one person has wanted to come by and take a look at him. I have two personal contacts there were intersted at one point but zero interests other than that. Admittedly this horse is a hard placement. He is small, not really trained, cribs, and has a genetic issue.

In the mean time, I found out that this rescue assists other foster horses with financial assistance. I had requested similar assistance 5 months ago but did not get a response. I have found a forever home for this horse but for some reason, I have not heard back from this group.

My health is not the best and I am trying to downsize as much as possible. I have provided the same for this horse as I have my own, i.e. shots, wormer, farrier, fly spray, grooming, feed, hay, supplements, etc. If he needs it, and I can swing it, he gets it.

Its coming winter and I am dreading having to take care of 3 horses over the winter. The rescue is not really communicating with me at all. As of next month, this horse will have been with me for a year. He is due for coggins and shots, etc.

I have begged, pleaded, and offered multiple options for this horse to the rescue but they fall on a deaf ear. I feel that if this horse has been under my care 6 months longer than I had put them on notice that I can afford, I need to do something. I know I could probably re-home this horse safely without an 'adoption fee' of $700 plus dollars but I do not know what my rights are.

I gave them until September 15th to come up with a solution for this guy. And the worst thing is that after 10 months, I am attached to him. I just want to see him in home where he will be loved and well taken care of. But I am trapped bewteen a rock and a hard place at a solution.

When does a foster situation become too much and what are my options? And has anyone else ende up with a rescue foster for years?
    Last edited by Obi; Sep. 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Home found.
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

What does your contract say? If they truly are that inattentive they most likely wouldn't notice if you rehomed him. I am surprised you could get cash from anyone with that description, he is lucky.

Contract-lol...

I was an approved foster only. PLEASE know, this horse will not go without but I am hoping I can relieve myself of responsibility and stress of him before winter.

I agree with you Laurierace...he is basically low on the adoptable scale. He has a genetic sway back and cannot handle over 100 lbs. My primary goal is just to find him the best home, despite his issues. He is a very easy keeper and gets along with even my evil older gelding. I have tried to reason with the rescue but I think I have blackballed myself out of favor. It also did not help when I asked for financial assistance and shared with them that they do this for other fosters.

I think it is more important to find this horse the best home. And after 10 months, I think the adoption fee (which was raised 100% with donation btw) needs to be waived in the best interests of the horse.

Do I have any legal recourse to this situation?
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

I don't quite understand.
    Don't seem that you have any kind of contract to go by who is who and has to do what here?

If you are fostering the horse for a rescue, it is their horse, you don't own it and can't dispose of that horse.
    I think your only recourse is to ship it back to them, unless they give you the horse.
    If they give it to you, you better have legal proof of that, maybe a bill of sale for the cost of fostering the horse for them, before trying to dispose of it in any way.

Send them a bill for the time you kept the horse for them and with clear notice that you are returning it and when.

I am not sure anyone here can give legal advice, because all this will depend on the laws in whatever states this is playing out.

Can you go the route others have with abandoned horses from someone not paying the board?

That would give you ownership with legal recourse.

Just thinking ...sometimes PTS is really most humane rather than letting him go someplace where he will not get proper attention.

Document everything. Send registered letters with the return receipt and then post a notice in the paper.

You agreed to help out...not be held up!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Yeah, even as a foster, you should have had a contract to spell out who's responsible for what.

Technically, the horse still belongs to the rescue. At this point, you should be telling them that they either sign the horse over to you to rehome or you will be shipping it back to them as of, say, the end of the month, since you've long since passed the point of where you said you'd keep the the horse.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I suppose at this point it would pay dividend to consult somebody in the know of the legal land scape.

Considering that you paid for his upkeep...and possession is 9/10th of the law....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Is there a place you can actually ship him to? If so, that's what I would do -- arrange for transport and give him back to whoever is in charge at the rescue (and send them a bill for the hauling, but from what you have said, which they will probably not pay). But they would have to open their barn gate to let him in...

You should not be burdened with finding the horse a home, or worse, having to euthanize him. You have done a wonderful job helping this little guy, but I wouldn't feel bad about either shipping him back or insisting they give you a bill of sale, with no strings attached, so you can do as you see fit. It was a foster, after all. I think if you had adopted him you might have an easier time giving him back!

By the way, I have seen this with other rescues ... the fosters seem to stay for a very long time, years even. It's more like a permanent thing sometimes.

Nevertheless, the rescue should take responsibility for this horse they took on and asked you to care for on a limited basis.

Hope it all works out for you.

What the hell kind of rescue has someone take a horse with no paperwork and then doesn't communicate with the foster about the horse? And what? They expect you to care for it indefinitely and then find it a home where the RESCUE gets an "adoption fee" and you just have the expenses?

This ain't right.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I diverge a bit here.
    Ok, so you have found him a home that you think will be good, is that correct?

If so, I'd rehome.
    If you can document that the rescue is not responding, etc to your requests, and you truly have vetted out this new home, then do it.

However, I would make sure your contract with them is ironclad, and that you can take him back if they don't meet certain conditions, etc, etc.

I also thought of paying a portion of their feed, so if they sell him, you'd know right away, or else it ups the charges against them...its not just a horse(property) and the value of that property, but also fraud, etc for taking your money and not using it for intended purposes. thats a whole other issue.

I know my suggestion doesn't seem quite right, but sometimes rescues are not the greatest places to ship a horse back to. That would be my last resort, I would probably euth first.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    I diverge a bit here.
    Ok, so you have found him a home that you think will be good, is that correct?

If so, I'd rehome.
    If you can document that the rescue is not responding, etc to your requests, and you truly have vetted out this new home, then do it.

However, I would make sure your contract with them is ironclad, and that you can take him back if they don't meet certain conditions, etc, etc.

I also thought of paying a portion of their feed, so if they sell him, you'd know right away, or else it ups the charges against them...its not just a horse(property) and the value of that property, but also fraud, etc for taking your money and not using it for intended purposes. thats a whole other issue.

I know my suggestion doesn't seem quite right, but sometimes rescues are not the greatest places to ship a horse back to. That would be my last resort, I would probably euth first.
    But, but, it seems that the OP doesn't has legal ownership of the horse, so she can't dispose of it without approval from the rescue, that is not talking to her.

Don't know what state she is in and won't pretend to know the laws there, but she might check into whether there are any stablekeeper lien laws there that would allow her to foreclose on the horse for lack of payment of any of the expenses of the horse - and then be able to place it.

This just stinks.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

If there is no written contract at all or anything WRITTEN to hold up in court about who owns the horse, what expectations for foster are/were, etc. then you can pretty much do what you want.

It's more he said/she said.

personally, if you can find a home for the guy for free, then do it.

If you stop contacting the rescue, I bet you will never hear from them again.

This should be unbelievable but I am not surprised. I agree, call the "rescue" (and I use that term lightly, even though I don't know who they are but obviously they are not responsible)- and tell them the horse is arriving (give them a date and time) and ship him there. End of story.

I hate seeing goodhearted people who just want to help being raked over the coals and given the runaround. At least you will be able to sleep at night knowing you did right by the horse.....
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

UGH this is a mess...my sympathies for you and the horse.

It seems like you have two choices:

1. Contact them (in writing, registered or certified or whatever) and tell them the horse must go back to them by whatever date. You might add a sentence that if you don't hear from them, that you will assume the horse has been abandoned and you will pursue other options.

2. Contact a lawyer (hopefully one that is a friend and won't charge!) to see whether you can possibly get legal ownership through abandonment and what that entails. At the very least you can get some "Cover your a--" advice.

Also - you might want to post your situation on the forums at alexbrownracing.com. (button on the home page says "discussion and chat" or something close to that. They have a bunch of rescue people that post on there and perhaps they can give you some help.

Make an official report about your inability to contact the rescue and for the horse as a possible "abandon".

If you are not able to contact the rescue you can report that to 1) animal control and 2) the sheriff. AC should be able to tell you how long the process is to resolve "ownership" problems with an owner you are unable to contact.

At least you will have a report for when these problems arose.

Best wishes to you and the pony.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    What the hell kind of rescue has someone take a horse with no paperwork and then doesn't communicate with the foster about the horse? And what? They expect you to care for it indefinitely and then find it a home where the RESCUE gets an "adoption fee" and you just have the expenses?

This ain't right.
    That was my first reaction as well.

I don't have any advice, but wish you and the horse the best of luck resolving this issue.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Send them a letter that they can come pick it up within two weeks for the 6 months of backboard they owe you for leaving the horse past the time frame you agreed to.

Tell them if they fail to show up on x day with $y, you will consider the horse abandoned and now it's yours.

Rehome for small fee.

Keep the money.

I hope Finnegan's Wake comes back and tells us how this was resolved. What a terrible situation to be in.

that wasn't a "foster" situation that was a "dump"

load him up,haul him back and drop him off.

wish them the best and go on with your life.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.