The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying a NEW Beval saddle?

So my butet is finally giving out. I've had it forever and got it for a song (before Butets become HOT). My budget just cannot accommodate a new one right now. And all the used ones I can find in my price range (and size) look pretty darn used. I feel like I'll just end up where I am right now not too far down the road...

Soooo I noticed that Beval is running a saddle sale. Has anyone bought a NEW Devon before?? I love, love, love flat seat, no cush, super thin (my butet had NO bells and whistles) but I've had a few people say I'll be disappointed coming out of Butet (I ride the ponies in a 15" Junior, so I do have a pretty good feel for the Devon and can't say I'm disappointed).

I've also never bought a brand new saddle before (My PDN, then Pessoa, then Butet were all gently used), so I don't even know what the break-in period would be like. I'm thinking it would be worth it to have Beval pre-oil the saddle before shipping it to me.

The pro sides:
    - I love how I can pick the seat size, flap length, tree width, click "order" and BAM be done with it.
    - Its new and would be an investment to last forever

Thoughts??

I don't know about the Devon, but a little girl in my barn got a new Beval last Christmas. It oiled up nicely and broke in very quickly. Good investment and so comfortable.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

In what ways is it "giving out?" If you're considering dropping a few G's on a new saddle, can you see if your old one can be repaired/rebuilt?

I have no idea what this costs or what needs replacing on your saddle, but it's just a thought...