The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default insta-hot users, help please!

Just got my new insta-hot, used it for the first time yesterday and I'm impressed with how hot the water does get.

Question for those in the know though, how do you drain it completely?

I will be dealing with single digit weather this winter. When I loosened the drain plug some water dribbled out but some stayed in the brass housing and dripped slowly out if I jiggled the unit. Is there a way to ensure its all out?

Thank you!
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I would think you could contact the manufacturer to find out. If possible, do it by either email or snail mail so you get their answer in writing just in case there is a problem. I presume the unit has a certain warranty period and as long as you are following their instructions and have proof of that, you would be covered.

Good luck.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

My guess is that unless you blow it out with compressed air, you'll need to bring it into a heated space when not in use.

I'm looking at portable water heaters myself, as we are moving and the new place, while superior in many respects, doesn't have hot water in the barn.

Everything I've seen so far (various products) warns against leaving the unit in a situation where it may freeze.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

hmmm. Have no idea of your actual set up, so not sure if this would work for you.....

But, I have a frost free spigot in the barn aisle that I have a hose connected to that accesses the adjacent outdoor washrack. I have not purchased my insta hot 'yet' but the outdoor washrack is where I'm intending to utilize it. So, for me...I've decided I'm going to invest in one of those 'heated' electric hoses. (there is an outlet right where the spigot is, almost)....That way, I can always 'plug' it in when needed in the winter months, and have non freezing water arriving at the insta hott intake. and, in the summer, non winter/freezing months, I can use the same hose, just not plug it in.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    hmmm. Have no idea of your actual set up, so not sure if this would work for you.....

But, I have a frost free spigot in the barn aisle that I have a hose connected to that accesses the adjacent outdoor washrack. I have not purchased my insta hot 'yet' but the outdoor washrack is where I'm intending to utilize it. So, for me...I've decided I'm going to invest in one of those 'heated' electric hoses. (there is an outlet right where the spigot is, almost)....That way, I can always 'plug' it in when needed in the winter months, and have non freezing water arriving at the insta hott intake. and, in the summer, non winter/freezing months, I can use the same hose, just not plug it in.
    I have the heated hose, it is fabulous in winter.

I don't think that will solve the problem of the water INSIDE the Insta-Hot freezing if it is not drained.

I want an instant hot water heater, but it hasn't made it to the top of the priority list yet.

I got an Eccotemp L5 unit from these folks
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eccotemp-L5-...item519adb6d8a

and have been really pleased with it.
    I set it up with a 20 pound propane bottle, on a handtruck to be portable and take to horse shows etc. It's great around the farm too - I can wheel it anyplace, hook up to water and have a nice warm horse bath.
    The seller had good info, and there was lots more to be had on the web - do your research and make sure it's going to work for the intended usage.

I did add an extension to the hot water outlet, made from a washing machine hose, as the hot water will destroy normal garden hoses in short order Also put an angled fitting on the cold water inlet side to make it easier to hook up. I do store mine in the non-freezing shop in the winter, never had any problems in two years of use.
    Last edited by AdAblurr02; Sep. 18, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added connection thoughts
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of quality Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

well, I too (!) hope insta hot users / owners will chirp in here...since my interest in one is to hang it on the exterior wall (outside wash rack) vs. have it on the 'dolly' that is moved and stored 'elsewhere'.

Since they show/detail that option as well, and it IS propane (to be used outside) I'd expect? it should be engineered not? to have a freezing issue? (geeze...I mean while I wouldn't want to give a horse a bath in 10 degree temps, I have to admit I am looking at this product so we CAN have hot/warm water in cold weather....hmmmm.)
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Thanks Sue, thats definitely the best bet, hopefully I can get it in writing. Though I bought my unit from Schneiders, it was missing the gas regulator hose and the Insta-Hot company handled it personally so I had it quicker, very nice company to deal with.

I know there was at least one CoTH member that had an issue with it freezing and had to replace it, I was hoping to get 'real' world advice in addition to contacting the company.

I roughboard and have no electricity, and no warm place to keep the unit, and I will be dealing with single digit temps again I'm sure.

Obviously I'm not using the unit for baths in winter its for hot buckets of water, mashes, etc. Boiling water at home and bringing armfuls of thermoses daily is a PITA.

Chances are just disconnecting the hoses and removing the drain plug is enough as any frozen water will have places to expand and not crack the housing, but I'd sure love to hear from that person who said they had to replace theirs
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

shameless bump hoping a few others might contribute? I know there must be more out there

I am sure you know about these, but they do get the water quite hot if you wait around for it.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=678507371

I wish I knew your answer, but in NH, I'd either bring it in the house, blow compressed air thru the lines, etc. Everything FREEZES here. No ifs and or buts.
    Regardless, my post shamelessly bumps for you. (since I am curious for an answer too).
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Thank you for the bump 5horses! I would SO love to use the bucket heater, would be much less work... but sadly I have no electricity, hence propane.

So I called EccoTemp and they told me that after use I should remove the drain plug, disconnect the water in and blow through the water out (hose still attached obviously) to get all the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Thank you for the bump 5horses! I would SO love to use the bucket heater, would be much less work... but sadly I have no electricity, hence propane.

So I called EccoTemp and they told me that after use I should remove the drain plug, disconnect the water in and blow through the water out (hose still attached obviously) to get all the water out.
    Well, dang, that's a PITA to have to do twice a day just so the horses can get warmed water.

How far away is your nearest electricity? While it's not a great idea, if you only have to run lines down maybe a 100ft or so from the house and it's not a couple of miles, perhaps you could use extension cords and then use the bucket heaters.

Another thought is filling bucket from the house with hot water, and using a sled to get water from house to barn. Put lids on the buckets so they don't spill.

Some people do run hoses from house to barn and as long as you are able to drain them completely, it's not too bad. I would think you could use hose reels to help. My hose reel is supposed to be able to handle 225'. Perhaps a hose reel from the house and then one at the barn and join them in the middle.

Also, what about a Coleman stove to heat the water?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Nearest electricity is only about 200 yards away, not entirely out of the realm of possibility but poses a lot of fire hazard risks running an extension cord that far. Especially as it would have to cross a busy riding ring and two high traffic driveways.

And, its not my home, I self-care board, renting a small 2.5acre parcel on the corner of someone else's property so electricity would be from the BO's home/barn. They have iffy wiring as it is and had problems with breakers being constantly tripped in the past with boarders on the other side of the farm using tank heaters. They had an almost barn fire a couple years ago... etc, etc. I would hate to be flipping breakers just as they're trying to get ready for work, etc. or worse posing a fire hazard. I feel safer taking my chances with propane

So no hot running water nearby either. Only convenience I have is running ground temp water, thats it. Anything else has to be either self powered or make the commute with me from home on a daily basis.

I bring 4 large thermoses of boiling hot water with me every frosty morning, but even with two kettles going thats over 30 minutes every morning just spent keeping an eye over boiling water. I run a busy business working from home and its a mad dash for me to get a few projects done every morning before dawn before I can head down to care for my horses. The clock is ticking most mornings, so 30 min is an eternity. And all that effort for only 4 thermoses of hot water, I'm extremely scrupulous with how I use my precious hot water in the morning

Having on demand hot water, even if its just steamy hot and not piping hot, seems like a dream come true. Blowing the hose out should be no problem compared to the morning routine I currently have.

A friend did suggest a propane turkey fryer for boiling large quantities of water, I have to look into that too.