The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Loading in a 4-horse

I have a mare who was very difficult to load when we got her 2 years go, but with patient training, she now self-loads on my wide 2-horse ramp trailer. She will still give me trouble occasionally, but no freakouts, just 5 minutes of patient work and she will walk on.

She's being sold, and is on trial now. The buyer tried to load her on a 4-horse trailer today, and could not do it easily and didn't want to start forcing/fighting her, which I am grateful for. So I may be going there tomorrow to show her my method, but I have never loaded a horse on a 4-horse.

Does anyone here use self-loading techniques with a 4-horse. Can you tell me how you adapt it? I am used to tap-tap-tapping on the butt while keeping her head straight until she takes a step forward, and I never enter the trailer. Can't do this when she has to back into the stall... Please help.

Assuming it's a side load only, you have to walk the horse up the ramp, turn into the stall across from the one you want the horse in- then back the horse straight back into the stall he belongs in.

Some 4-horse trailers have a back ramp as well, so the two horses in the back can load straight up like a 2-horse. Then the two in the front go up the side ramp, and back into the front two stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by josierider View Post
    I have a mare who was very difficult to load when we got her 2 years go, but with patient training, she now self-loads on my wide 2-horse ramp trailer. She will still give me trouble occasionally, but no freakouts, just 5 minutes of patient work and she will walk on.

She's being sold, and is on trial now. The buyer tried to load her on a 4-horse trailer today, and could not do it easily and didn't want to start forcing/fighting her, which I am grateful for. So I may be going there tomorrow to show her my method, but I have never loaded a horse on a 4-horse.

Does anyone here use self-loading techniques with a 4-horse. Can you tell me how you adapt it? I am used to tap-tap-tapping on the butt while keeping her head straight until she takes a step forward, and I never enter the trailer. Can't do this when she has to back into the stall... Please help.

there no difference- just do what you normally do

god, when i have horses in and out that dont load i just be assertive iam not nasty but i just take them up and load them on i stand for no nonsense

little tip never look at your horse when loading as it will stop dead and not go on

alway lead under the chin and walk it on at the schoulder and talk to it, be assertive and firm the horse laods already now so shouldnt have a problem

the only problem will if you think it wont load the hrose will pick up on that as a vibe from you in your sub concious you have tyold it not to load so it wont

so dont think as objections- think positive be positive be confindent and the hrose will follow you as a leader

I assume it's a side load then? You will just have to go into the trailer. Have somebody behind you with a crop if need be. I've found that horses actually load better on side loads than back loads. If it's 4 horse head to head, it should be roomy, so she shouldn't feel cramped. I am also very no nonsense about trailering. I lead them in, toss the rope over their back, close the divider, then go around and tie them. Mine have all learned this is how it works. More times than not, I'm by myself, and need to be able to onload, and offload by myself. I do have one mare who, for whatever reason, you must stand behind with a whip or carry a buggy whip if loading by yourself, for her to get it. She used to REALLY fight about loading, but now with some encouragement from behind is fine. I always try to keep them faced up to the trailer, and they are, of course, allowed to think and "sniff", but not to start using that as an excuse to not get on. Pausing is fine, but they need to keep thinking about the task at hand.. Not pausing and "ohhhh pretty sky..." LOL.

I guess you could stand on the ramp and "point" her in then walk with her and position her in the trailer, might be more what she's used to. Once they start in, I really discourage them backing up. I like for them to get all the way in, then I will unload if I choose, and do it again.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud