The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equate (Wal Mart) psyllium

For those of you who use the Equate "Fiber Therapy" psyllium for your horses exposed to sandy soil conditions, are you concerned about the sucrose content-4 grams/teaspoon, for your metabolic horses? Seems like that might be a lot of sugar calories in the amount one would use for horses for the one week dosage regimen? Is there any plain psyllium out there? Thanks!

Yes there is. Lots on ebay. However, as I learned when I tried to buy 50 pounds of it as cheap or cheaper than the equi-aid, it's too expensive.

Our horses must be eating whatever is swept up off of the floor after the psyllium fiber is packaged for humans. I tried to buy direct from ebay dealers, but all were double what 50 pounds of equi-aid costs.

Thanks sch. I'm so careful with her diet, but I need to get her onto a psyllium regimen. The latest news about psyllium helping IR horses is encouraging, but I can't seem to find any plain. Tried to pull up the Equi-aid on line, but the company doesn't post a ingredient summary. I think there is a plain name brand at Walmart, but a small container of it is ridiculously expensive, and we ultimately need to get all of the horses on it. At a cup/day/5 days/mth, yikes! I'm still hoping someone might post with a source for 50 lb. bags plain that aren't as pricey as what you were able to find on ebay.

Although I don't do a cup a day (because I don't feed much grain to put that much psyllium in), I do buy the sugar-free psyllium for my IR horse.

I try to get it at Sam's although they don't always carry it and since I only have one IR horse, that it not my biggest expense with her.

My biggest thing is finding sugar-free treats for her. She is one of the most treat-oriented horses I have. She will stand on her head for carrots and applies, but they have too much sugar. Buckeye makes a sugar-free treat, but she finds those too bland.

I use Equisyl Advantage. It's the least expensive, based on the volume used. There's a comparison here:
    http://www.ahcpi.com/pages/37als7.html

Thanks horseshrink-there's a Sam's coming here and I'll be sure to check for that!

stryder-fascinating website-who knew! Thanks so much-it's great information!