The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Little hole and scab on both "points" of hock?

What could this be? Looks like an indentation about 1/4" deep (no blood, kinda like a little crater), and scabby/dry part is about an inch in circumference. Located on the "point " of the hock, but on the side farthest from the horse. Thanks for any ideas! Looks the same on each side.

bed sore from laying on the ground or in the stall

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

dito

^^^Yep, hock sores.

Yep! Despite a deeply bedded stall mine gets them out in the pasture. Some people use duct tape over them to help them heal and I know some other people recommend this gall sore salve (I am sure someone will pop in with the name of it).

ditto

Yep, my mare will get these from being in a poorly bedded stall, or rolling/sleeping too much on abrasive ground. Hers got way better being out all the time, since she has the ability to sleep where she would like.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

lack of bedding will cause hip hock and elbow sores
    so many people think that using mats for exsample is the b all and end all unfortunately its not alot more horses are suffering from simple sores that can be unnessacary
    with mats the floor is stilla hard surface

so whatever the floor be it mats concrete or mud
    deep litter the beds with straw or shavings or whatever is used

and bank your sides so you have deep bed and banked sides
    for exsample if using straw about 1ft deep in middle and 2x1ft banked sides this will prevent any sores plus it will prevent a horse getting cast in his stable

and also whilse here make sure your stable is the correct size for your horse

if its a pony then 10 x10 is fine up to 14hh 12x12 up to 16hh 14x14 up to 18hh
    sometimes its the stable being to small for the size of horse you have so he hurts him self trying to move about

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Yep! Despite a deeply bedded stall mine gets them out in the pasture. Some people use duct tape over them to help them heal and I know some other people recommend this gall sore salve (I am sure someone will pop in with the name of it).
    Bickmore's Gall Salve!

Thanks all, never seen that before in the 25+ years I've had horses! He's on 24/7 turnout, so he must just be picking rough spots to sleep!

Like two posters above said, Bickmore's and put a small square of duct tape over that.

Popular belief is that they get these from thinly bedded stalls. Not always true. They can also get them from barking them up on the walls when rolling and, when rolling in the field. Mine, like yours, got his on the backs, the points of his hocks when he was pushing back up after his roll.

The duct tape squares will hold for about 3 days. Just keep applying until some hair starts to grow in. I did and mine's sores have never returned.

yep, Chip's sporting them on both hocks because when rolling one must flop over at least twice. He lives outside, no thin stalls for him, just a drought and hard ground.

I would just like to add that hock sores aren't just from poorly bedded stalls... My guy gets them out in the pasture at night. We have had such a drought that our pastures are rock hard without a single soft spot. I swear, it's like the horses are standing on baked bricks. The stall is about the only soft spot my poor guy gets to lay down!

I will try this gall salve and the duct tape idea!
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

I have 3 horses and but only one of them gets hock sores. Incidentally, he is the only one stalled at night. He was getting them pretty bad for awhile even though I bedded deep with shavings. I have since added rubber mats on top of a layer of sand with shavings on top. The hock sores are much improved.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

The horse I ride has them on both hocks, too. They're dime sized and he hates when I put salve on them- much more sensitive than other cuts and scrapes he acquires. Trainer says he rarely lies down in his stall, and gets them from rolling/lying in the field.
    I'm going to look for that Balm mentioned... Good idea!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I bought round bales of straw to bed down each run in shed super deep. I also put them out in the field so they lay/stretch out on them (I roll the bale out some - otherwise they walk it around and make a big fat bed). Once they get a bit dirty/strewn about - I mow them down and put another 10' away. I have a sacrifice "strip" in each field - so this helps give them a soft place to lay and keep the mud down.