The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default New Feed Time Mystery - Solved!

Tonight when I fed my 3 horses, the 24 year old gelding just sort of played for a bit with the feed in his feed tub - which is a corner feeder - and then stood by the door to go out, not eating the feed.

I did my typical colic test, offered him a cookie, which he snarfed up, so he is not colicking.

Then I offered the feed by hand, and again, he ate it just fine.

So, I basically had to hand feed him, he would not put his head in the feeder to eat. He did eat all of it that I fed to him by hand.

I'm hoping it's just that a cold front is blowing in, and he is just being weird on me.
    Last edited by MunchkinsMom; Sep. 17, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

FYI - I don't think there was anything funky smelling in the feed tub, as soon as he left is stall, the two mares had their heads in it cleaning up the scraps that he would not eat.

And he had his head in the feed tub in the mare's stall looking for scraps - go figure.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

How high is his feeder? As in does he have to lift his head and then lower his head down?

These old timers can sometimes start to get a bit finicky. Could be he's having a tooth issue causing him a bit of discomfort.

Seems as though all of my animals, (horses, dogs, cats) will eat when fed by hand even when they are not feeling well. I would certainly keep a close eye on him just to be sure that you don't have a low-grade colic or something going on. You may want to take his temperature also to determine if he may be running a slight fever.

Liz

This will make you all laugh. I had forgotten that about 30 minutes before I went down to feed, my DD and her friends were out practicing with their band instruments in the driveway - Trumpet, flute and Melophone.

Evidently this caused him to come a bit unglued and nervous to be in his stall.

The mares - way more food motivated than he is, they could not have cared less about the impromptu concert.

He ate both breakfast and dinner just fine today.

Glad it was something simple and that he's okay.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

so, he's a music critic............

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    so, he's a music critic............
    Evidently! He is just sensitive to changes in his environment. Silly boy.

Noise cancelling head phones Glad it was something simple!!

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    This will make you all laugh. I had forgotten that about 30 minutes before I went down to feed, my DD and her friends were out practicing with their band instruments in the driveway - Trumpet, flute and Melophone.

Evidently this caused him to come a bit unglued and nervous to be in his stall.

The mares - way more food motivated than he is, they could not have cared less about the impromptu concert.

He ate both breakfast and dinner just fine today.
    LOL horses.........