The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Higher End Saddles.

I'm finally done with my Circuit. After a short ride and a bit of over fences work, my pony's back is very stiff and sore from it's hard pannels. I'm moving over to my old ripped up Crosby Prix De Nations now until I get a new saddle.

I want a higher end saddle that's used. It would have to be something that would hold up to my abuse as well. I'm eyeing the Prestige saddles, especially since I've found several under 1k used, which is where my price range will be.

I'd like something that doesn't have a very forward flap, knee blocks would be great, I prefer padded flaps, and I would prefer wool over foam, unless the foam is very soft and squishy! I ride in a 16.5-17".

What saddles fit the above and are recommended?

Thank You!

I love my Stubbens! I beat the heck out of mine. Mine's a Siegfried II that has zero blocks, but some of the other models have them. Mine were both (also have a dressage model) only around $300 on eBay and Craigslist. They're in perfectly fine shape, I could show in them if I wanted to. My Siegfried gets beat up on trails and endurance rides. It gets soaked, run into things, dropped, etc. I just take it home, put some of Stubben's conditioner on it and its fine. Best of all? Its only about $300 to replace if I really do manage to destroy it.

Oo! I completely forgot about Stubbens. I'll have to look into those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SacredLies View Post
    Oo! I completely forgot about Stubbens. I'll have to look into those, too.
    Definitely! I've had my Siegfried for about 3 years now. I've got a 6yo Arab who is not particularly easy on his tack. Nor am *I* easy on my tack. I wanted something that was good quality, but at a price I wouldn't be terribly broken up about having to replace when I finally ride in the rain one too many times. My saddles are both about 15 years old, but they look perfectly fine. Stubbens do tend toward harder seats, which I don't mind, and some of them need to be reflocked (my Siegfried needs to be next year probably) if you're pulling them off eBay, but you're still going to spend less than on most other brands.

I'll be watching this thread because I'm looking for exactly the same thing. Since I wasn't having any luck with my search, I had half decided to go for new and cheaper via the Smartpak test ride program (free shipping both ways). But I'd prefer the higher quality, used. I will look into the Stubbens too, but as mentioned they are very hard in the seat, and so many that you see used are AP rather than CC. Good luck in your search!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding