The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Serious Does This Sound?

While I'm nervously waiting to take my boy to the vet on Monday...

About a month ago my horse cut the the point of his hock (in the slightly fleshy area just below the actual point, almost near the tip). Vet suggested cold-hosing twice a day, but the hock became swollen so he prescribed antibiotics for five days. The hock improved some, but still had some swelling, then four days after finishing the first round of antibiotics the hock "blew up" and horse was close to three legged lame. Back to antibiotics (ten days this time) and hosing, horse is improved again, but still that swelling is not completely resolved.

Now, my horse seems comfortable walking around and playing in his field, so I tried a tentative exploratory ride. Walking was great, trotting seemed fine...I'm quite encouraged, so I try a canter to the right--excellent. But the left rein canter was very bad--hollow, head high and stiff and hock hitching. I stopped quickly and went back to the nice forward walk and ended. The swelling is the same today, and he seems just as happy messing around out in the field.

Sorry for the book, and I know no one can diagnosis anything over the internet. I have an appointment for ultrasound of whatever is needed at the vet on Monday, in the meantime I'd love to hear from anyone with any insight from similar experiences.

I'm so worried...
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

All we can do is guess but it sounds to me as if it is improving but not completely healed yet.

The cut itself took a long time to heal, but is finally filled in and starting to scab over. I'm still cold-hosing twice a day, but trying to avoid wetting the actual healing wound. (Also, meant to say above, the vet will do ultrasound OR whatever is needed--hard to edit on an i-pad)

Default JINGLES & AO for your horse and you ~

JINGLES & AO FOR YOUR HORSE
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I went through this with a baby. The problem is, if it doesn't heal exactly right in that area, it can get into the sheath and bone. It sounds like it was getting in there and maybe you started to heal it, and then stopped the antibiotics. My baby was on antibiotics twice a day for six weeks just to make sure it would clear up. She still has a capped hock, but is sound.

Do you know how he got the injury? Could be a foreign body in there. That would certainly explain persistent swelling and the wound not closing. Hope that is all it is.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

How he got the cut is one long story, but I think that the item that actually did the cutting was a metal bucket holder in his stall.

I'm happy to report that it all looks much improved as of yesterday, swelling significantly down and moving much better. I'm daring to hope that the ordeal may be close to over after all (fingers crossed!).

Thank for the input!