The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *sigh* the saga of the OTTB continues.

The good news: Veyron is doing fabulously undersaddle and we're doing BN at the Ark in October. (which is the weekend after my birthday, talk about a good week! knock on wood...) He's also started putting on some weight finally. His feet are also looking WONDERFUL now and he's getting some really good growth on them.

The bad news: we found out why he wasn't putting on weight. (which I suppose is good news and bad news). Ulcers and a wormload. The odd thing was that he showed no signs of it other than just not gaining much weight. He's been on a wormer rotation since I got him, but I guess you never know. at least once we get that taken care of, he'll hopefully become a fat, sleek little critter. Now I feel like a bad horse owner... I should have done the fecal sooner but I just didn't think about it and no one recommended that because it really didn't look like a wormload.

Oh well, at least we can get him all sorted out now and hopefully that will be the last of the problems... at least for a little while, anyways, lol.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

At least the bad news is relatively easily fixed! That's good to hear. Good luck at the Ark! And of course, report back to us!

At least you caught it! I'm sure he thanks you! These are the horsemanship experiences that we learn from and it sounds like he's really be no worse for the wear.

VERY EXCITING, otherwise!!!! A good time at the Ark would be the ultimate birthday present, wouldn't it?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Ugh, Been there! A little time (and paste) and he will be good as new. Best wishes!

A lot of time rotational wormers won't get the real problem, you have to do a PowerPak or something along those lines to knock out the encysted strongyles. Very common cause of unthriftiness and the first thing I do if I have a horse in for more than a few weeks on my feed program and it's not putting on weight!

Jennifer

At least you got the problem figured out and now your pony will be able to gain weight and really be able to work correctly!
    Same thing happened with me...we couldn't figure out why my TB was SO skinny, wasn't growing his hair back (after body clipping him this winter), was dull, irritable, and just not great under saddle.
    My AMAZING vet had us give him a powerpack and put him on ranitidine, and now he is (getting) fat (still needs another 60 pounds or so...), he's sleek and shiny, his coat looks fabulous, and he's a whole new horse.
    Keep us updated!!!!

If you don't want to pay the high price of Gastroguard (Omeprazole) get some "pop rocks". Do a search on pop rocks here in horsecare. Loads of information, LOTS of us have used them. Easy cure! Many horses don't show many signs of Ulcers, just poor body condition.

Be aware that once he is feeling better, you may have a MUCH more energetic horse on your hands. Some of them need a bit of serious riding to get back on track once they feel better than they have in a long time. Then again, some don't.

Keep us posted! Have fun!

Thanks guys! He's already starting to look a bit better and it's only day 2 of power packing. Hopefully this sorts him all out and he won't be a psycho once he's feeling better (although he's not really the psycho type, so fingers crossed he'll be nice).
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

It's a very easy fix and you'll see a new horse soon enough. I never scoped our OTTB to see if he has ulcers but we treat him as if he does. Just seems to come with the territory. But our guy still is having a hard time gaining weight. He's had a fecal and is clear, so its not worms. He's just a hard keeper, oh well. So we just started a weight builder and hope I can see changes now with winter coming. Crossing my fingers! Good luck to you.